Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall scratched

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Cylinder wall scratched

Well before I was putting on my final cylinder head today I noticed that 2 of the 4 cylinder walls on the drivers side had a couple very small scratches in them. They were typically about an inch long and running vertical.
They were deep enough so that you could just barely detect them with your fingernail. I couldnt hook my nail on them...but could just barely feel them.

The only thing I can think of is that when I rotated my crank to clean off the pistons something could have gotten in between the cylinder and the rings and caused this. as I didnt clean my cylinders completely until right before I put the heads on...so I guess this is possible. But it was spun very slowly only a couple times...I am confused.

The car ran fine before and used no oil.

Should I be worried?

thanks a lot
Old 05-11-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just do a cylinder leak down test...if theres no leakage from those cylinders...dont sweat it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone else noticed any of these fine scratches when doing a head swap?

Ill be sure to do a leak down test, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ping King
just do a cylinder leak down test...if theres no leakage from those cylinders...dont sweat it.

have to agree here man. leakdown test and if its not smoking, no sweat.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

leak down test was ok...do you guys think it will be alright?

anyone else have some input?

Is it possible this could cause problems in the future? like my rings going bad in the next few thousand miles?

Does anyone know any good products that can cover up minor scratches in a cylinder wall? do any engine treatments claim to do this? im not sure

my top end is all new...so I dont really want any product that is supposed to freshen up valve seals either...unless this wouldnt hurt on a new head.

thanks again
Old 05-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine treatments claim to but they are typically ineffective as advertised. If the scratches are not to deep and leak down was good I say run it till she blows. You shouldn't have any issues, Engine restore is sold at any Wal-Mart, or Auto Parts store so pour it in with the oil and it may or may not work. But what it will do is give you peace of mind. Pull the head in a few weeks and give the cylinder walls a look.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the leakdown test is fine and the compression is the same as the rest of the cylinders, I would say that it is fine.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said they are very light. I could feel them with my figernail just barely...but could not hook my nail on them.

I think ill put a little bit of the engine restore in...unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea???

Im just worried about the future...I want this thing to last a while.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

I would think twice before putting any additives in the oil.
Most engines have slight imperfections in the cross hatch from the thrust side of the piston. Sometimes a very small partical gets between the ring and the wall and causes a mark. Or it may have happened the first time the engine was ever turned over.
Like they said above if you have good leak and compression numbers don't worry.

Good Luck

Ryan
Old 05-14-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sounds like just what it could be... the cylinders still look perfect besides those marks, they still show crosshatching very clearly at 91k.

is the thrust side of the piston the side that is facing the fenders on each side of the block? If so then I think you are right...because the opposite of the "thrust side" and everywhere else in the cylinders were flawless.

thanks again
Old 05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
that sounds like just what it could be... the cylinders still look perfect besides those marks, they still show crosshatching very clearly at 91k.

is the thrust side of the piston the side that is facing the fenders on each side of the block? If so then I think you are right...because the opposite of the "thrust side" and everywhere else in the cylinders were flawless.

thanks again
Correct, thrust side is facing fenders. I had some scuffs on my cylinders, but they were worse than you describe. My compression test showed good, so I let it go for now. However, I would have prefered to fix it, just did not have the cash at that time.

Quick Reply: Cylinder wall scratched