Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its not the oil pump thats causing low oil pressure, what could it be, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default its not the oil pump thats causing low oil pressure, what could it be, please help!

ok, just got a brand new motor, with new motor i got a new ls6 oil pump and new o-ring. been driving it easy breaking it in, while doing so, i notice that it once she gets warmed up, my idle oil pressure is around 18-22. when i get on it, the oil pressure will not go above 40-45psi. I talked to my engine builder and he suggested that maybe i got a bad ls6 oil pump, so i got another one, had this one ported and had the spring upgraded (stronger) put it back together tonight with another new o-ring. once she got warmed up, same ****!!!!!! The o-ring was put in very carefully, so I'm sure that's not the problem, not 2 times in a row, and i know i didn't get 2 bad brand new oil pumps in a row, especially since the current one was checked over inside and out and modified. Also, i compared the tolerances of my new motor to many others and they are right on par.

What could be causing this? Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me figure this mystery out.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

possible to be missing an oil galley plug. also is this verified with a mechanical gauge? could just be a bad sender.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

also, i forgot to mention that I swapped oil sending unit and it didn't make a differnce.

Last edited by _HAVOC_; 05-12-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well this past month ive had psi issues that have resulted in me getting a new motor this week.... but its under warranty anyways...a ls6 "flows" better remember that puting more oil through the system isnt the same as the speed its put through. ie you could flow more oil through due to the new pump, but at a lower psi understand?...ive seen this before....as for the flip side...have you checked your screen? check for sludge, also you can drop the pan and see if this oil problem is taking a toll on your engine....thats pretty much all i can think of...the sending unit, isnt much more then a gauge on the top back of your manifold and the pump is what moves it all through.....
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

yes, checked the screen, cleaned it very well when we put the new engine in. and tongiht, checked hte screen again and cleaned it, although it didn't need to be cleaned. yes, dropped the oil pan tonight only say a tiny bit of metal in there. (only 400 miles on the new motor) changed the oil again.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

You may have to much bearing clearance, just a thought. Or the o-ring on your bar bell is torn or not installed right. Had same problem except installed backwards. I had good pressure just did not climb when engine was reved.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MAC4264
You may have to much bearing clearance, just a thought. Or the o-ring on your bar bell is torn or not installed right. Had same problem except installed backwards. I had good pressure just did not climb when engine was reved.
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm gonna replace this today. anyone happen to know the part # for the bar bell? the people that work at the dealerships near my house are complete morons and can't hardly get you any parts with out a part #.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

i have a slp ls6 ported pump on my new motor, been driving over a year with warm idle pressure at 18-22 psi, have had no problems yet
Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

what kinda metal do you have in the pan? copper or alumn.?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

hook up a mechanical gauge, to make sure your pressure is accurate.
i have wide clearances and a large filter and cooler and my pressure isn`t
that low. the stock gauges are horribly inaccurate. 20-50psi is probably
all that`s really needed. i have 30-60psi on a hard raced and street driven build and use the stock pump with no problems.
also a new motor will have some metal bits come loose.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like your bearing clearances are on the high side. Your oil pressure isn't really that bad but it is low comparably speaking. If it is a bearing clearance issue you have two choices...... rebuild or try a thicker oil.