Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my first oil analysis done...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my first oil analysis done...

I'm waiting on the Dyson analysis to see what Terry has to say. I'm kind of concerned about the high Iron and above average Aluminum numbers. This oil was in my car from late last summer until a few weeks ago. My car also sits quite a bit since I leave town for days at a time. I'm thinking that maybe some rust formed somewhere inside the engine while it was sitting thus causing the high Iron reading. The viscosity, flashpoint and fuel numbers are also out of range. This may be due to the fact that the oil sample was taken on a cold engine (improper testing technique). The main reason why I had the analysis done was to see if my bearings were going bad...my oil pressure reads somewhat low at times. It appears the bearings are OK though.

What do you guys think of the numbers? All input/feedback is appreciated.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...lanalysis1.jpg

Last edited by waveoff; 06-24-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Terry will give you the best read, he does mine every year. He will provide a lot of insight and ask some questions. You will hear from him shortly. What oil was this? Some oils have chemicals/metals in them to start with new. Check for a virgin oil analysis on your particular oil over on Bobistheoilguy.com and see what base metals are in the oil to start. Looks like maybe Mobil-1 with the amount of moly you have.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's alot of unburnt fuel in the oil at 2.5%. It destroyed the oils lubricating ability dropping viscosity as the fuel thinned out the oil and the flashpoint also dropped as well. That's why the wear numbers are higher. Testing on a cold motor didn't help alot either. Terry should be able to get you on the right track.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input guys. The analyzed oil is Castrol 10w40. According to BITOG, it seems that alot of virgin oils have Iron in them but only in small amounts. Comparing my report to other LS1 reports on BITOG it seems that my numbers indicate a potential problem. We'll see what Terry has to say. And next time I'll take a sample properly so I can see how the numbers compare.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're right, engines that sit for a long time will most likely show more iron in their oil due to minor rusting from condensation. The high fuel in the oil doesn't help either.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Launching!

I just got Terry's report and he suggested the PCV, air filter, fuel system, tune, coil packs and plugs all as possible fuel dilution culprits. While inspecting the PCV system I discovered that the hose that connects to the driver's side valve cover was torn. I'm hoping that this was the root cause of the fuel dilution since it's an easy fix. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Got my first oil analysis done...-pcvhose.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. But if the sample was taken when the car was at full operating temp, wouldn't the heat have evaporated out the fuel, and also water, from the oil?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
I don't know. But if the sample was taken when the car was at full operating temp, wouldn't the heat have evaporated out the fuel, and also water, from the oil?
According to Terry, no. He says that modern engines, regardless of sampling procedeures, won't show this kind of fuel dilution. I thought the same thing as you though.

I have to give credit to Terry though. If he hadn't suggested checking the PCV valve I never would have found the torn hose. It looks like the hose has been like that for quite awhile. Hopefully there weren't any ill effects from it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Terry is the expert, isn't he? I did an oil analysis on my Suburban a couple of years ago, his response was it was time to change the distributor cap. I was thinking, how the heck does he know that? I went out, pulled the cap and sure enough it was a mess. His oil analysis insight is always worth the money in my opinion.