Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 machining question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006 | 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Default LS1 machining question

How much meat is there on a stock LS1 block to bore? I have a stock 75k motor and I want to order a set of low compression pistons for a turbo buildup but cant seem to find out how much of a bore is too much for the stock liners. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-29-2006 | 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lason
How much meat is there on a stock LS1 block to bore? I have a stock 75k motor and I want to order a set of low compression pistons for a turbo buildup but cant seem to find out how much of a bore is too much for the stock liners. Thanks for any input.
the stock LS1 aluminum block is good for a .007 hone only, for a blower setup I would recommend the -8.6cc dish diamond pistons in a 3.905 bore
Old 05-29-2006 | 01:38 PM
On The Tree

WOW, so if the cylinder ever gets scarred from a engine failure or it develops a taper from wear and tear then what are people supposed to do? That sucks to hear but thanks for the info.

Also any cons to going with more of a dish? I was looking at diamond -13 to -15cc to get my compression down to around 8-8.5:1. Also using a thicker cometic head gasket to get that compression.
Old 05-29-2006 | 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

these blocks just weren't designed to be repaired, GM wisdom...

going to a -13 or -15cc piston is not a problem, these will be custom pistons as Diamond does not make a 3.905 shelf piston with that much dish, as far as I know.
Old 05-29-2006 | 06:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Demon SS
these blocks just weren't designed to be repaired, GM wisdom...
Not quite true. Granted, you can't do more that a simply bore cleanup, you can always have the liners removed and then go with a larger bore, all the way up to a 4.125" without a problem. Now you have a 383 "all bore" for roughly $3000.00. Not cheap, but if you mess us a liner I think they can replace one, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 05-29-2006 | 06:49 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Scott is right but unless you blow something up they can be honed a little over and are back in perfect shape. If you want a bigger bore for cheaper and with a lot more metal behind them go to the iron block.
Old 05-29-2006 | 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah Im trying to avoid a iron block if at all possible but I thought I read about a LS1's being good .030 over. There is nothing wrong with my motor other than 75K on the odometer and I hate to simply hone the cylinders for new pistons rings as Im sure there is probably a taper after this many miles.

O yeah and new liners is outta the question due to the cost involved at this point. If I do decide to go with new pistons then I guess Ill just do a quick hone and hope for the best.
Old 05-29-2006 | 11:32 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Yeah Im trying to avoid a iron block if at all possible but I thought I read about a LS1's being good .030 over. There is nothing wrong with my motor other than 75K on the odometer and I hate to simply hone the cylinders for new pistons rings as Im sure there is probably a taper after this many miles.

O yeah and new liners is outta the question due to the cost involved at this point. If I do decide to go with new pistons then I guess Ill just do a quick hone and hope for the best.
Any real modern day cylinder hone will staighten the cylinder out as well as increasing the cylinder bore size and removing the worn areas and ring grooves like a Sunnen hone or the newer Rottler hones.

With modern plateau hone jobs and moly rings and EFI you usually have very little wear anyway so honing to a new larger size that cleans everything up is all that is done.

I have a Sunnen CK10 and it amazing what you can see when you first just lightly run the hone through each bore a few strokes. You can see every high and low spot in the cylinder and how it's worn. The aluminum blocks are much worse than iron as far as the bores moving but they still usually clean up pretty fast.
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think the 2000+ blocks could take .010 over, and ls2 blocks can take .020 over.
Old 05-30-2006 | 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, this is a lot of help. So Im assuming that I can just get stock size pistons, hone the cylinders and then get a set of file to fit rings to make up for the increased cylinder diameter and be good to go? Sorry for the dumb questions.