Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No PCV - Breathers Now...Oil Smell thru Vents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default No PCV - Breathers Now...Oil Smell thru Vents?

I recently got rid of the stock PCV stuff on my '99 in favor of a Metco breather on the passengers side oil fill hole, and a small filter breather in the front hose between the intake and the valvecover on the front edge.
Do those of you that have a similar breather style PCV..have you noticed an oil smell thru the a/c vents occasionally while driving? Usually I notice it after driving a bit and then stopping with the a/c on. Is this normal? When the engine is running you can see vapor exiting the breather after driving the car a while (which I thought was normal...the whole idea behind the 'V' in PCV).
I don't personally mind it much but when my g/f is with me she whines about it. Do you think that I'd be better off going with the ls6 stuff and a catchcan to rid the smell?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil smell is normal, nothing much you can do about it. Some breathers have a fitting you can attach 5/8 hose and route the smell under the car, but youd have to get rid of teh metco I think.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a different girlfriend!! JK!!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same setup here. Mine's doing it too. Usually only notice it if I dowshift and let the motor help bring the car to a stop. That's the price to pay to keep the oil out the intake I guess.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was just making sure that it was normal to have that much oil smell. The only time I really notice it is if I drive it for a while, stop, then go in reverse...I guess it pulls the smell into the car more. It's not that big of a deal though, it only lasts for a few seconds usually. Worth it to keep the oil where it belongs.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
12 Second Club

Are all breathers standard size if i order from summit or something? What size grommet? I have a ls1 and am going to put 2 breathers on instead of pcv crap.

THANKS
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered a filter breather by a brand called metco from thunder racing..link here, on bottom of page...

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=276

This one takes the place of the oil filler cap/neck on the front of the passengers side valvecover.

I bought another cheap smaller style clamp-on breather from pepboys and installed it on the hose that goes to the throttle body and capped the throttle body off. I still have that same hose coming up between the intake and the passengers side valvecover that the breather attaches to and still have the hose connecting the 2 valvecovers together at the rear of the engine.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

I did away with the pcv and have breathers on the driver and pass valve covers but i really havn't noticed the smell with the ac on or not.....maybe it does but i really havn't smelt it.

Quick Reply: No PCV - Breathers Now...Oil Smell thru Vents?