Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV idea (I did a search)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCV idea (I did a search)

I read alot oabout the PCV oil in the intake problem and the many ways people have overcome it. There seem to be 3 camps on the issue
1 - Total delete with a breather and caps
2 - Leave it with a catch can or LS6 upgrade as only using a
breather only harms the oil
3 - Don't worry about it.

My question is if this will work: To retain vacuum on the system yet, eliminate oil consumption, use a breather style PCV on the oil fill (or somewhere) that has a vacuum port. Basically just making your own PCV system that is baffled as some of the Breather style PCV's are and runs vaccum through the TB so the noxious fumes that harm oil are still drawn out of the crankcase?

Here is a link to the breather/PCV I am talking about"
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...u=P%5FSKU&Dk=1
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm. I was thinking about that when i put my catch acn on but that's all that happened. Thinking about it
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... You've got my attention. Interesting.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

do you think the effect of the tube going to the TB will be worth it over say just a METCO or other type of breather? I would think crankcase pressure would vent the gasses out just as well, if not a notch under what those breathers would do....
I do see what you are saying though, I would like more people to chime in on this one...my knowledge is limited on the subject....

I kind of go back to older style SBC's and stuff...they didnt have PCV systems did they? Just a breather usually, correct? Someone fill me in on that one.

What effect do the gases have on your oil?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

I deleted my pvc and use a metco breather in the oil fill hole. It seems to get clogged from time to time with oil sludge. And the oil does get dirty faster. But I see no problems with it. And I'm not getting oil in the intake.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Well, I am new to the 4thgen LS1, I have had too many thirdgen's; Carb, TBI and TPI all had the PCV running out of on valve cover to a vacuum port on the TB or Carb, the other side had a breather tube that went to the air cleaner, or the TB on TPI. Inside the valve cover was a baffle I never understood why it was there until I read about his intake problem. I read about the dirty oil faster, and the need to retain vacuum. I didn't save links but I did a search for about 4 hours lastnight. One guy said that just having a breather doesn't pull the noxious gases from the oil and that is what breaks it down. Alot of guys said their oil does get dirty faster and the breathers clog. That is why I thought about this. Retain PCV, vacuum and since some of these are "shielded" or "Baffled" MAYBE it won't suck oil into the intake. Sounds good in theory, I think. Sorry for length.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Teching In

This seems like one of the best ones I found from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I think I am gonna try it next month in the oil fill hole. I don't know if oil is in my intake, but I know I have consumption at 97K.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JNSE06
This seems like one of the best ones I found from Summit:

I think I am gonna try it next month in the oil fill hole. I don't know if oil is in my intake, but I know I have consumption at 97K.
You are basically creating a different version of catch can. A good catch can or anything (in line filter, breather cap, etc.) etc. that baffles or condenses the oil mist before it gets to the intake will sove the PCV problem. The other problem, especially on cammed cars, is reversion, and there isn't a good (easy) solution for that.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Forgive my stupidity, but what is reversion?

Last edited by JNSE06; 12-30-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

why not just run your pcv valve line to the catch can and just plug up the line going in your throttle body.Just leave one side of the catch can open to vent then you have no hassle with breathers in valve cover.Take your pcv valve out so the engine can breathe the fumes to your catch can.Then you will be getting just as much vent as a filter in your valve cover.That way you didn't waste your money on the catch can and you don't have oil all over your pretty motor from a breather...
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
why not just run your pcv valve line to the catch can and just plug up the line going in your throttle body.Just leave one side of the catch can open to vent then you have no hassle with breathers in valve cover.Take your pcv valve out so the engine can breathe the fumes to your catch can.Then you will be getting just as much vent as a filter in your valve cover.That way you didn't waste your money on the catch can and you don't have oil all over your pretty motor from a breather...

That was one of my thoughts as well; however, that wouldn't solve the need for vacuum as some say.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Where do you think the oil would then go? The catch can doesn't get ALL the oil out of the air. Especially the smallest vaporlike particles. It'll be all over the motor, just as with the filter. My solution worked much better.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by N4cer
Where do you think the oil would then go? The catch can doesn't get ALL the oil out of the air. Especially the smallest vaporlike particles. It'll be all over the motor, just as with the filter. My solution worked much better.
Were you responding to me or saber?
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Second Club

Both, since you agreed that a catch can was a good idea.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

check out this crankcase evac setup https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/586557-about-my-car.html wont work with our pancake intakes though
Old 01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by N4cer
With my idea the oil wouldn't even come out I am just using the catch can for a breather.I am going to plug up the vacum line that is sucking the oil out of the motor in the intake.I am just deleting the pcv and running it to the catch can so the motor can breathe.I just figured with the breather it would come out on the valve covers.With my idea the only place the oil could go would be in the catch can.It can't come out of the catch can because there is no vacum pulling it out.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

So where's the pressure go after the catch can? It has to release somewhere, which would carry the vaporized oil with it.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

The line where the pcv valve is, is not pressureized so it would just breathe thru the catch can.If you leave one end open on the catch can.There is not going to be enough pressure to blow the oil out of the catch can.The only reason your getting oil in the intake is because of the vacum.You will not have vacum on the catch can if you just leave it open and block the line on the throttle body.

Last edited by sabersaw30; 01-03-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Teching In

I agree with Saber. The general thought of why our cars suck oil in the first place is the tight space under the valve covers and large amount of oil that resides up there, on cornering this allows oil to suck into the current lines.
My idea is using a closed, baffled PCV breather in the oil fill tube. Thus closing down the existing lines and making it damn hard for oil to make it into the motor. I agree you need vacuum to clear the crankcase. But my idea wouldn't get oil all over the motor. The oil would hit the baffles in the closed breather and fall back into the motor. The vacuum would still evacuate the oil destroying vapors. It would still be a closed system. It works just like a Gen I motor PCV setup, only the baffles are in the breather and not the valve cover.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Have no clue how the system is setup for your cars, but in the past we'd setup a catch can (whether name brand or Home Depot built) to help release crank case pressure, the main thing that made the difference was a check valve. This allows vacuum to pull the pressure out (with the oil in the vapors), but doesn't allow pressure to be sent back through (increase crank case pressure). This was done on turbo 4 cylinders. Just a thought, looking at getting into an LS1 in the very near future so I'll check back on this thread to see what you guys think.