Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a 'Hammer' cam be installed without changing any other internals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can a 'Hammer' cam be installed without changing any other internals?

I have finally concluded that when I am ready to get my baby "cammed" - I am going with the 'Hammer' cam - 222/222 .566/.566 112 which will provide me some nice gains even with my stock heads and provide for a very reliable drivetrain as well.

Through doing some research on this - I still remain unclear as to whether I could have this cam installed without changing springs and pushrods, etc. I understand that it would be highly recommended that these be upgraded - but - is it a must?

If I were to only change the cam - nothing else - do the valve covers even need to be taken off the car - or is it a matter of just getting to the front of the engine and pulling one bumpstick out and sliding the new one in?

This would go in my 30th Ann. TA M6. It will see the track only 1-2 times a year, some street racing, but mostly cruising and only about 3,000 miles a year or so. I am using an HPP3 with most all of the 'routine' mods and then some.

Would I be able to bump the Redline on out to 6600 with the HPP3 (probably shifting about 6500)using the stock springs, etc. or would I have to limit it to 6300 like I currently have it to keep everything together even though the cam would still be increasing power?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-2002, 03:25 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Can a 'Hammer' cam be installed without changing any other internals?

Definitely change the springs and pushrods. It's not that difficult and if you don't take those additional steps, you would very likely regret it later. Excellent cam choice. You won't be dissapointed. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Can a 'Hammer' cam be installed without changing any other internals?

I'd do the springs because if you didn't you'd just be running on borrowed time. The stock springs basically suck. Spend the money to have the piece of mind your car is not gonna get jacked up.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Yes , go with 918 springs ,You have to pull the valve covers and loosen rockerarms to remove pushrods otherwise the cam is not going to come out and if it did you would have pushrods falling in to yur engine. I have this cam and you will love it,atleast I do. I bought mine through Internet racer supply for $599 with springs and pushrods shipped . I found there customer serv. is not the best and I had to wait for 4 weeks to recieve my springs.I would advise you let some one else do it for you if you dont know much about engines.JMO
Old 08-20-2002, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the Hammercam! I wasnt aware you could buy it thru IRS. Its an MTI grind. My buddy tried to order it thru comp cams( who grinds it for MTI) and couldnt get it.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks alot for all the input. I have looked over a couple of the installs. I just wanted to see how simple you could make this basically. I am planning to get this installed and not undertake this myself as I think I would be sick at the sight of my baby taken all apart much less trying to do it firsthand!

I understand the point on the springs. But 918's or 941's or something else even? I will also plan to go with the titanium retainers and chromoly pushrods at the same time then.

Should I go ahead and do a new oil pump (I have always had great pressure) and timing chain too (currently at 24K miles) at that time while they are in there? Should I change rockers or are the stock ones OK in this app? Stay with stock length pushrods? Anything else?

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:25 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

The Hammer cam is great cam for your application. Could you swap it and not change the srings/push rods.
Yes.

But please dont. The ramps are pretty steep and you would be on borrowed time. The stockers are weak POS's anyway and not up to the task of stabilizing the valve train at 6000+ RPM's with ramps that steep.

The springs and rods will add just a bit to the cost and they are very easy to change out.

Good luck with your new cam... I bet you enjoy it.
Old 08-21-2002, 05:07 AM
TECH Addict

Change out everything.The stock parts wont hold up to the job.Do it right do it light do it wrong do it long.Thats what my coach use to tell me.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Are the 918s double springs?
Old 08-23-2002, 08:28 AM
Teching In

918's are single springs.