Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank bolt?

I'm doing my cam swap this weekend and had planned on using the longer crank bolt from arp but it's on back order from TSP (where I can get it for free) for another couple of weeks.
Can I just go to the local bolt company "Austin Bolt company" and see if they have a longer bolt I can use? I have the specs but wanted to know if this will suffice. Doesnt this bolt have a slot for a 1/2" drive? So it's like a socket instead of a regular bolt?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

The bolt requires a 24mm socket. Why not reuse your factory? I did with an MS4 cam with no issues. Put some locktite on it and be done with it.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He is talking aboiut installing the crank pulley. You can pull the threads out of the end of the crank by trying to pull in on in the beginning of the pully install. The stock length bolt does not grab enough threads in the crank. If you use a longer than stock length bolt to start to pull the pully on you will not ruin the thread in your crank. After you get it on as far as it will go using the longer than stock bolt you take out the longer bolt and use your old stock bolt to get the pully the rest of the way on. Torque it to 235 ft. lbs. and then take out the old stock bolt and then use the new stock bolt to torque it to 37 lbs. Then get your breaker bar and a turn it another 140 degrees. I use a 24 inch breaker bar with a pipe over the end of it for better leverage. The stock bolt is a touque to yield bplt and should not be reused.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The stock bolt is fine to pull the crank bolt. You just have to do 1-2 turns at a time on the bolt while you are pulling the crank pulley and keep readjusting. It is a pain in the *** but works. I put a bolt and nut in the middle of the 24mm socket and drilled a small pilot hole on the bolt head so teh gear puller wouldn't move and stay centered on the bolt. Then put the 24mm socket on the crank bolt and started the process. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what you are asking, but this is one area you can get in big trouble fast. Don't use a bolt at all to push on the new damper. You need to make an installer.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used the stock bolt and impact wrench to put un the underdrive pulley (asp) with no issues.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You shall we say "rolled the dice" and got lucky... I have seen the threads get pulled out of the end of the crank using that method ... hence the preferred safe method of using a longer bolt or threaded stock to get the pullly started ..
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -=Modified=-
I used the stock bolt and impact wrench to put un the underdrive pulley (asp) with no issues.
You should buy a lotto ticket, you got luck on your side. I've read several threads on here where people ended up with a broken bolt stuck in the crank snout.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rbrcka
You should buy a lotto ticket, you got luck on your side. I've read several threads on here where people ended up with a broken bolt stuck in the crank snout.
I'll do that. I can't see how they broke bolts. You have to torque the damn bolt to 240'lbs. That is a lot of pressure. They have to be pulling the crank pulley off unbalanced some how.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i wouldnt recommend using the stock bolt either, you can go from having a good day, to a horrible day in just seconds using the stock-length bolt. I bought the tool from 618Hawk, and it worked great. Made pressing the pulley back on easy as cake.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made an installer like vettenuts posted, worked great on my slp pulley. Cost me about 10 bux cdn to make.Last thing id wanna do is be almost finished my install, then pull threads out of the crank.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just go to NAPA or a similarly capable parts house.

Napa had the exact same bolt, just a bit longer...which is what I used.

With that and a series of washers, it worked like a champ.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I planned on an installation tool, etc, but after warming up the dampener in an oven to about 200 degrees, it nearly slid right on. Only did some very gentle tapping with a hammer and wood block to seat it completely.

Andy1
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Launching!

The stock bolt is fine to pull the crank bolt. You just have to do 1-2 turns at a time on the bolt while you are pulling the crank pulley and keep readjusting. It is a pain in the *** but works. I put a bolt and nut in the middle of the 24mm socket and drilled a small pilot hole on the bolt head so teh gear puller wouldn't move and stay centered on the bolt. Then put the 24mm socket on the crank bolt and started the process. Worked like a charm.
Im not worried about taking it off, I just dont want to strip the crank threads when i put it back on.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blk97WS6
Yeah i wouldnt recommend using the stock bolt either, you can go from having a good day, to a horrible day in just seconds using the stock-length bolt. I bought the tool from 618Hawk, and it worked great. Made pressing the pulley back on easy as cake.
You bought that thing? Why not just make one yourself?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cav101
Last thing id wanna do is be almost finished my install, then pull threads out of the crank.
Yeah that would suck huge hairy *****!

I might be using this idea. havnt heard of it before today.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Launching!

So the howto guide says to re-use the stock bolt after you torque the longer bolt to 240. says remove longer bolt and then re-use the stock bolt. Torque to 34 lbs and stretch it at least 100 degrees.

So you do actually use the stock bolt once you get the pulley all the way on, Right?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

You NEVER reuse the stock bolt!!!!! If worse comes to worse and you can't get the ARP just go to the dealership and get a stock one. But don't ever reuse the stock one!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuffass
You bought that thing? Why not just make one yourself?
Because everyone on this board who has used it said it worked great. And i dont mind spending a couple extra bucks on something that has proven itself time and time again with no problems what-so-ever. Plus i didnt have to run out and find a bunch of stuff the works. It was there right when i needed it.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tuffass
So the howto guide says to re-use the stock bolt after you torque the longer bolt to 240. says remove longer bolt and then re-use the stock bolt. Torque to 34 lbs and stretch it at least 100 degrees.

So you do actually use the stock bolt once you get the pulley all the way on, Right?
Start the pulley with the above install tool or a longer bolt from Napa...

Once you set the pulley on there with the old stock bolt (to 240 lb-ft), then you remove it and install the NEW stock style, TTY bolt. Torque it to 34 lb-ft and then stretch it...

I think that's the way it goes...