Custom (explain)
11.44%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

T-Rex or MS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I ran into with the TRex was with it's amazing potential. I found myself wanting the right gear, the right converter, the right tire, everything to make the combination perfect. I felt I had a pretty good setup with the Cam-Only TRex. I was able to go 11.25 when the motor was letting go. I only had the rear seats and spare removed for weight reduction, and I loved to drive the car. I did, however, make sacrifices in streetability, some of which I had started with the previous cam. I put on BMR's Extreme Trac Pack, and I dropped half a tenth is 60ft time, and became so consistent, I shocked a lot of people. (10 passes in a row were an 11.25) I also installed a 4400 stall, that was the nail in the coffin so to speak, but I was happy. There was still a lot left in the car, I felt, but the motor wouldn't hold it very long. It saw too much street time, as I had nearly 70,000 miles, and a good amount of that time was spent in the 3,000-4,000 range driving in stop and go. If I had limited the street use, and just enjoyed it on the weekend, I feel I could have pushed the car into the 10s. But screw that now, I want to go faster, there is no use in rebuilding a motor back to stock IMO.

You will come to find that every car forum has their "genius" or the "been there done that" guy, who hasn't really done anything. There are also people who feel that just because they are faster than you, they know more about cars, or your motor. Anyone can make a car fast, and anyone with a wallet can be faster than you. The more reserved people on boards appear to be the most knowledgeable. This is a relaxed scene, so non technical information is highly accepted, and welcome. I just take my questions to the manufacturers before trusting some random guy from Arkansas with 275 in 3 months.

I was told, repeatedly, that the TRex is a horrible cam when you add a set of heads. I couldn't understand how this could be. I talked with Thunder about this, and all I heard was heads wake up a TRex. I took this as a go ahead for BUY SOME HEADS! So I did, and by the numbers people post, I feel it was a good idea. Now going to larger cubes, you will want to run a different cam, but in the stock cubic inch setup, the TRex appears to be the cam to beat. Texas Speed has done a magnificent job with their series of cams, and they really "took it to the house" with the MS4. I am just leery of the much larger lift specs, it makes me think the cam will be more harsh on the springs, as well as the rest of the valvetrain. But ramp rates, and durations all come into play, so I really have no honest opinion for this. Vengeance has some nice cams too, as well as Futral. I think it's all personal choice. They will all perform within a few hp of each other, but I would suggest to anyone that they should set a car up before trying to begin a quest for more rwhp. There is nothing more comical to me than a car with 500rwhp and watching them battle and complain about traction on a car that has little to no ingenuity put forth into it's delivery to the wheels.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I DD my 01 SS w/ the TRex.

It's in a 6 speed car w/ stock 3.42.

Just exhaust, lid and stock LS6 Intake. I can pretty much slip the clutch from a stop with little to no gas and it'll take off just fine. And to me, it makes plenty of power anywhere I'm at... Not like it's going to take an hour for it to get moving, but when it does get in the meat of it's powerband it's rediculous.

Here's a link to my car just idling around, and getting on it a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIl3thlxny4
Old 05-28-2007, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gunit

Just exhaust, lid and stock LS6 Intake. I can pretty much slip the clutch from a stop with little to no gas and it'll take off just fine. And to me, it makes plenty of power anywhere I'm at... Not like it's going to take an hour for it to get moving, but when it does get in the meat of it's powerband it's rediculous.

What an excellent choice in color. (See avatar and sig haha)

Good video.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Will the cam clear stock heads? Some say yes and others no. Id like to hear from someone who has installed it in their motor.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SlowazzVette2
Will the cam clear stock heads? Some say yes and others no. Id like to hear from someone who has installed it in their motor.
Yes...
Old 05-28-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gunit

I DD a 6 speed with a trex and 2.73 gears
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ouch, I can only imagine.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Yes. I spun mine to 7,100rpm and had no issues with PTV clearance with springs that had over 20,000 miles on them. (6,900rpm shift) So I feel it's safe to say it wont hit. When I spun a rod bearing, it allowed the piston to move around free enough that it did hit the valves, but it also hit the cylinder head too. Given the cam's close clearance nature, that was to be expected.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Yes to my car, and yes to a local friends car. Both stock heads, gasket etc..
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
Yes. I spun mine to 7,100rpm and had no issues with PTV clearance with springs that had over 20,000 miles on them. (6,900rpm shift) So I feel it's safe to say it wont hit. When I spun a rod bearing, it allowed the piston to move around free enough that it did hit the valves, but it also hit the cylinder head too. Given the cam's close clearance nature, that was to be expected.

Sorry to hear that. What springs were you running and those were stock heads correct? I have an 02 z28 and going to be doing h/c, i have the heads, stage 3 port and polish on new ls1 heads. Just saving money for cam, lifters, pushrods,ect....prolly going with the t-rex. How is your car coming along?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Apollo0526
Sorry to hear that. What springs were you running and those were stock heads correct? I have an 02 z28 and going to be doing h/c, i have the heads, stage 3 port and polish on new ls1 heads. Just saving money for cam, lifters, pushrods,ect....prolly going with the t-rex. How is your car coming along?
I ran the 921 springs, I am ruining PRC duals now.

Motor begins reassembly Tuesday after returning from the machine shop. I hope to be back on the road Friday!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been liking the numbers I see with the MS4 cam lately. Not sure which is actually better, but for me the MS4 would probably drive better for street application.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes this cam will clear stock heads.feel better now.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about a T-Rex or MS4 on a DD 01 SS w/ 4.10's(look at my sig)? Which one would be better for street driveability? Thanx!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure someone will chime in about d/d a trex or try the search.sorry not a daily driver with this setup.hate to be stuck in traffic with the twin disk.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

It's really all in the tune. If your tuner doesn't know what they are doing, neither cam will work well in a daily driver.

I daily drove my TRex, but I had a 4400 stall. It actually drove better than my old 236/242 cam.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

t rex all day
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a LQ4 with the lower compression, I had my heads milled .020 to bump it a tad,and was curious what anyone thinks of my chances on clearing the Trex....?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned

i have the trex on stock 853 heads and the car pulls insane ive beat a hand ful of h/c cars out at the races. and have yet to go against Trev_ss and his ms4/ls6 stg 1 heads.

needles to say im very happy with the trex and i will be puttin ls6/ported ls6 heads on within a month.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

T-rex is the ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: T-Rex or MS4