Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 228/232 cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
What are you going to do when your "tuner" can't get the 224 cam to idle right? Just take SSpdDmon up on his offer, you have very little to lose and everything to gain.
If he cant get a 228/232 to run then he is incompetent and will not be able to get a 224 cam right either.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Tenured Member

If everything was installed correctly I cant see the cam being the issue especially given that the cam isnt that big.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
What are you going to do when your "tuner" can't get the 224 cam to idle right? Just take SSpdDmon up on his offer, you have very little to lose and everything to gain.

I am sure that the 224 would be ok.... I think that something could be wrong with my PCM.. My IAC will not even reset

Originally Posted by CNTLSE 1
Sally

Thanks DJ

how is your car coming???
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
If he cant get a 228/232 to run then he is incompetent and will not be able to get a 224 cam right either.

I dunno what the problem is

Originally Posted by marthastewart
Here is another suggestion that I dont think you can beat. Find a tuner that guarantees the car will run right or your money back. We have a local guy that if your not happy with your car when he is done tuning, he puts it back to how it was and charges you nothing. I dont think anyone has complained yet.
I do not think that there is a tuner here that does that
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw Motorsports
If everything was installed correctly I cant see the cam being the issue especially given that the cam isnt that big.

of course it was installed correctly Tony
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Restricted User

Well, I've watched this for a few days now and I suppose I should comment.

Before the cam was installed, I let Jonas know that he would have some driveability problems down low due to the overlap, the 110+4. He said ok, and we installed the cam HE supplied.

After tuning, Mike and Jonas worked on the driveability several times, nothing has made basically any changes. The car could use a set of O2 Sensors, which may help, or it may not help at all. Regardless, the car is adding fuel because of the O2 sensor readings. Mike did EVERYTHING Jonas wanted him to, and nothing has helped yet. The bucking is very very light, and the warm start up could clear up some more with a set of 02 sensors. Will they cure the problem completely? I dont know for sure with out trying it. For what it costs for 2 sensors, its worth a shot. But, there is some loss in stock driveability with a cam swap, everyone knows this, and I tell everyone about it before it is installed and tuned. Mike has been tuning for 3 years now and we usually tune about 4 or 5 cars a week. No one has been back for any check ups, and so far I havent had any complaints that I am aware of. Everyone that comes thru here knows me and knows I will make Mike spend as much time as needed on something to drive and start as well as the modifications allow. Jays, Crawlin WS6, car did have a Trex, which idled at 880 RPM's in drive, barely had any idle surge, you could give it throttle and then stand on the brakes and it would catch itself and that is on a 110 LSA. Not a 110+4, for how good the 228/232 drives in Jonas's car, I'd be very happy with it if it were mine. I've delt with far less tuning and way more driveability problems in my personal cars before starting here or having a professional position in the field. Its part of the sport, if you want it to be 100% stock, go to a blower or a turbo and they'll drive like stock and then make you Sh*t yourself when you want to.

We tried working with Jonas as much as possible, if there is someone who can make the problems he's having go away, I'd be very suprised. I helped him as much as possible on getting it back to stock how he wants it, and the car doesnt do anything he wasnt forwarned about. If anyone has any questions/concerns, feel free to shoot me a PM, stop bye, or give me a call. Most of you know I live here most of the time so im VERY reachable

I dont want to turn this into a pissing match, we've tuned a few hunderd cars since i've started here, and I havent had many complaints with Mike, or our work. None of the other employee's here will be be addressing this problem, on the phone, on the forum, or in person. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me, I will talk to you and talk to you with respect.

No one here has the same cam as him, or anything with a 110+4. 112 and 114 LSA cams are VERY different then these. Most of the guys that I have read in this thread that say they can tune it, sound like it would be their first time. The guy that says the 02's dont have anything to do with a cam swap and running right... < - - Ill leave it at that.

Last edited by NBM2001Z28; 03-21-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't read all the threads but has anyone suggested running the higher wattage rear O2 sensors up front? Does the job pretty well in long tubes.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike not trying to make this a pissing match at all.. I knew that there was going to be some issues, but not like the ones i am having. You guys do phenomal work I have been telling eveyone thta i am going back to the stock cam. I have no idea why the car will not warm start, me and Mike went over the 02 issue. That is not a problem. But the bucking in hesitation can be tuned out. Yes Mike and i have spent countless hours on my car trying different things. We change one thing, then my car developes anoother problem So that is why i want to go back to the stock cam or hell get a 224 on a 112 or 114.. i am still debating. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH STRAIGHTLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ahve problems with my damn car/cam

My 228/232 is not a big cam and 10* of overlap is not that much. Like you said Jays car had a TRex on a 110 that has 22* of overlap and is drove, idle fine. There is something wrong with my car?? Tune or PCM???

I am still keeping my April 9th appointment to get this sloved and wll get some new 02s as well... I really don't know what else to say.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Mike not trying to make this a pissing match at all.. I knew that there was going to be some issues, but not like the ones i am having. You guys do phenomal work I have been telling eveyone thta i am going back to the stock cam. I have no idea why the car will not warm start, me and Mike went over the 02 issue. That is not a problem. But the bucking in hesitation can be tuned out. Yes Mike and i have spent countless hours on my car trying different things. We change one thing, then my car developes anoother problem So that is why i want to go back to the stock cam or hell get a 224 on a 112 or 114.. i am still debating. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH STRAIGHTLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i ahve problems with my damn car/cam

My 228/232 is not a big cam and 10* of overlap is not that much. Like you said Jays car had a TRex on a 110 that has 22* of overlap and is drove, idle fine. There is something wrong with my car?? Tune or PCM???

I am still keeping my April 9th appointment to get this sloved and wll get some new 02s as well... I really don't know what else to say.
Wasnt trying to sound mad or rude towards you or anyone else. Glad you called and talked to me as well!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
Wasnt trying to sound mad or rude towards you or anyone else. Glad you called and talked to me as well!

Yeah not a problem. I did not want Mike H to be upset either. I will try the 02s as you recommended and go from there... I will prolly talk to you soon, again
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

just dont go back to a stock cam go with TR224/112 make good power and easy to tune.Ive got that and thought about going with something else but i make good power and this is my daily driver.Im an A4 with a TR224/112 cam TSP stage 2.5 heads and fast90 and put down 417rwhp 407ft.I could go with a more radical cam,but driveability is awsome with this cam.Something to think about
Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by john563
just dont go back to a stock cam go with TR224/112 make good power and easy to tune.Ive got that and thought about going with something else but i make good power and this is my daily driver.Im an A4 with a TR224/112 cam TSP stage 2.5 heads and fast90 and put down 417rwhp 407ft.I could go with a more radical cam,but driveability is awsome with this cam.Something to think about

thanks for your advice.. appreciate it
Old 03-21-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well tomorrow i am going to swap my 02s. i have my originl OEM rear 02s and will put them up front and see if that helps any problems at all.... i will keep you all posted
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

front and rear 02's arnt the same
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Get it retuned and put a 4.10 gear in it. It might actually help your mileage.

And dropping down a gear to get a few hundred more RPM's isn't going to hurt your gas mileage.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bad6as
front and rear 02's arnt the same

They should be.. I dont see what the difference is???????

Can some one clear that up? I was told that it will work
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSix
Get it retuned and put a 4.10 gear in it. It might actually help your mileage.

And dropping down a gear to get a few hundred more RPM's isn't going to hurt your gas mileage.

110 miles on the tank right now and i am right about 1/4... that was dropping it down a gear.. stayed right around 1900 - 2200 RPMs...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

It will work. They're all the same sensor. The front passenger O2 has a different part number becuase the wires are a little longer (I think). But, they're all the same functional sensor.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

First off are you still running a MAF Jonas?

Second it aint your O2 sensors more than likely, the issue lies in the 10 degrees of overlap that will allow fresh air through the exhaust which will scew the O2 reading and the PCM will add more fuel thinking there is a lean condition when there isnt.

Your best bet would be to tune it in open loop and leave it in open loop. That way your fueling will be very close to perfect. Or tune it in open loop and afterward return it to closed loop.

I still just dont get it since my cam has 10 degrees of overlap just like his yet mine runs fine, i can cruise at 55-60 mph without surging.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
It will work. They're all the same sensor. The front passenger O2 has a different part number becuase the wires are a little longer (I think). But, they're all the same functional sensor.

thanks for clearing that up... i am going to swap my 02 and see what that brings

Quick Reply: my 228/232 cam