Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wd40 in bolt holes crack block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wd40 in bolt holes crack block?

Hey guys, im just running through my engine build and I have a question.. I used wd40 in my head bolt holes as a thread cleaner chaser to get some gunk and rust out.. I forgot to blow the holes out but Im sure there was very little wd40 left. Will this cause the block to crack? I also used the ARP moly lube, but ARP said to so i know thats OK. Will this be fine or do I need to re-do the head bolt holes? Let me know guys, this is scaring me lol.

-Lurius
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't have any liquid in there that could prevent the bolts from torquing down all the way. Clean them out....

If you already tightened them down, and nothing happened, just be thankful?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

The motor hasent been started or installed yet, its just somethign I remembered tonight and has been scaring me. There wasent any large amount, likely just the amount equal to if you used oil to lube the bolts instead of the ARP moly lube? Think it will be alright?

-Lurius
Old 04-26-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Personally, I would have cleaned out the bolt holes considering what you're putting at risk (the block). A liquid isn't compressible, including WD-40. If there was any damage to be done though, it would have been done while you torqued down the heads. There isn't any point in tearing it down now. Like Grimes mentioned, if nothing has happened, drive it like you stole it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Krab
Personally, I would have cleaned out the bolt holes considering what you're putting at risk (the block). A liquid isn't compressible, including WD-40. If there was any damage to be done though, it would have been done while you torqued down the heads. There isn't any point in tearing it down now. Like Grimes mentioned, if nothing has happened, drive it like you stole it.
Ah, damn, i'll have to go back and check. I always assumed it was when the block heated up, that the uncompressable liquids would expand. Alright, well im going to go check the hell out of the block lol.

-Lurius
Old 04-26-2007, 05:24 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not an engine builder, but I would think you only want the put the moly lube on the threads just before you install them and not directly in the hole.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lurius
Ah, damn, i'll have to go back and check. I always assumed it was when the block heated up, that the uncompressable liquids would expand. Alright, well im going to go check the hell out of the block lol.

-Lurius
that is what i was always told. Its not when you torque the bolts down that the damage happens. Its when the uncompressable liquid (water, WD40, etc.) starts expanding due to high temperatures and cracks the block. Just my .02

Brent
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

I would pull it down , clean and retorque. If the block is ok the bolt torque could be inaccurate because of the liquid.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

No liquid is compressable regardless of whether your torqing them down hot or cold. Consider yourself lucky if you havent split the block.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dragula
I'm not an engine builder, but I would think you only want the put the moly lube on the threads just before you install them and not directly in the hole.
This is what I did, put the lube on the threads before installation.

-Lurius
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Cleaned them all out and re torqued head(ARP bolts, lol, saved me money already) and went ahead and put on the balancer as well as the rocker arms and push rods. Should be good to go for the swap tomorrow. I'm planning on tearing into it tomorrow, morning to night, then cleaning the engine bay and swapping accessories and everything that night in the garage.. Saturday should be the day for re installation.

-Lurius