Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM CNC Ported LS6 Heads Flow Number Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM CNC Ported LS6 Heads Flow Number Wanted

I was wanting flow numbers at different lifts, port volumes, and if anyone is using them.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:52 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: GM CNC Ported LS6 Heads Flow Number Wanted

Here they are, flowed both by SDPC and by MTI.

Old 04-28-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great flow numbers for these heads...I'm concerned about piston/valve clearance issues but ,,,in looking at these flow numbers, I don;t think I need a cam with huge lift.....

I will likely go with a GM Hot cam....this one will fit with no problems, right? I have some REV springs so I will swap out the stock LS6 springs...

My heads came with some deep CNC stratches in the chambers, intake and exhuast ports, however....maybe I will remove the chamber scratches...

What about CR - 11.4/1? Anyone have Knock issues?

Old 04-28-2003, 04:53 PM

I would definitely take a cartridge roll and clean up the CNC work. It is rough and will cause hot spots. Also, some cleanup work will probably get you anther 7-10CFM. Just polish though, don't port...
Old 04-29-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

When cleaning up the CNC scratches on these heads, I assume you must be VERY careful about not nicking the head deck surface....I don't want to have to mill these heads any more than the .055 that came with the new heads....

....So for the chamber scratch removal, I was thinking of using masking tape to completely cover the surface deck. I would then use an E-Xacto knife to cut out the tape around each chamber. I would them use a sanding wheel to buff out the scratches.

Does this work? Is there a better method?

I assume the intake and exhaust port surfaces are not as sensative to nicks in the mating surfaces. Is this right?

If I use a GM Hot cam I think I need pushrods one size smaller than stock. This is becasue the heads are milled .055 and the base circle of the GM Hot cam and the stock cam are the same. I'm re-using the stock rockers and lifters. Is this correct?

Old 04-29-2003, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

if you are going to change the cam with those a thunder 224/114 will give you more without making it harder to drive. An ls6 intake would be usefull at this point as would a free flowing exhaust
Old 04-29-2003, 12:06 PM

I'd use a tape that wouldn't abrade as badly, like duct tape. Just use something to clean the surface when you are done. As for the chambers, no, having some scratches in them won't hurt. Just don't screw up the deck.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey Megathump:
Do you positively know that a TR 224/114 will not have piston/valve clearance issues with an LS6 head milled .055?

I will clay the pistons in any event, but I would like to buy something that I know has a good chance of fitting....

Pro Stock John suggested the same cam but said to contact TR to confirm. They have not replied to my inquiry yet...