Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe I just read this entire thread (almost) and you're changing EVERYTHING again...get the damn car running man. It's almost like you don't want to finish!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the whole thread also and x2^, was the red z28 insured when the ******** broke the glass and slashed the tires?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Beaflag, you did it again man. Changing your whole plan.
Just put a motor in it and drive it, everything else can be swapped at leisure.
Because after sitting for so long, you'll have plenty other issues to deal with.

IMO, get a stock longblock with very low miles, 01>04 and just slap it in, get it to work with clutch replacement.

The longer you wait, you'll change your mind once again
Originally Posted by Red99TA
I can't believe I just read this entire thread (almost) and you're changing EVERYTHING again...get the damn car running man. It's almost like you don't want to finish!
There is no more changing my mind at this point. This is the setup that will meet my desires and get the car running in around 3-4 months. I understand what you are saying though about me being tempted to change my mind again, but I assure you I am not.

I am very OCD about keeping track of the parts I need, their prices, the amount of money I have, what people owe me, and my estimated income of the month. That list I posted had all of that information removed. Much like that list I posted I have about 4 others that are all different options.

This as crazy as it sounds is the best option for me. I could either spend $2000 on getting my 408 finished and then spend another small fortune on the supporting mods or sell the parts for around $4000. Once I sell what I have in the for sale thread and recieve my next two checks for this month I will have enough to order all of the MWCP setup, wheels, and tires.

After that all I really need is around 3900-4500 depending on a couple of things. I gross in profit around $900 per month after all of my expenses. By January I'll have another $2700 + part of the $2442.77 that is owed to me by multiple people that are in the process of paying me back. Then, I should get around another $2500 on my tax return. My tax return + my three months of profit will get my car running the way I want it. Then, I'll even have some money left over after that and what ever I recieve from other people.

Originally Posted by camz28arro
Just read the whole thread also and x2^, was the red z28 insured when the ******** broke the glass and slashed the tires?
No, my insurance didn't cover it. It is insured but I don't have comprehensive coverage on that car. I had to pay for it all out of pocket. My deductable either way would have cost me $1000 and I spent $768 fixing it myself including gas driving back and forth 600 miles, a new battery, battery cables, plugs, wires, fixing the heater core hose, and new wheels. I already owned all of the glass. I just had to pay a guy to remove the hatch glass from the wrecked car and install it in my 95. The wrecked car has been one of the best investments I've made in a long time and it only cost me $150.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wonder how is it possible to detect leaking injector and prevent this kind of disaster?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow dude, you change your mind too much! LOL, i bought my car a few weeks b4 you did and ive allready put 370 to the wheels(400+ in the next few weeks), you have really bad luck my friend.... did you know who vandalized your car and why? people dont just randomly do that. someone took the time to break your mirror, window, rear glass, and slash all 4 tires. and were you not home? i would have been out there with my shotgun in less that 2 seconds when i heard a tire hiss or glass break. anyway GL with it
Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Vetal
I just wonder how is it possible to detect leaking injector and prevent this kind of disaster?
That wasn't my issue, but I would be interested in knowing this also.

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
wow dude, you change your mind too much! LOL, i bought my car a few weeks b4 you did and ive allready put 370 to the wheels(400+ in the next few weeks), you have really bad luck my friend.... did you know who vandalized your car and why? people dont just randomly do that. someone took the time to break your mirror, window, rear glass, and slash all 4 tires. and were you not home? i would have been out there with my shotgun in less that 2 seconds when i heard a tire hiss or glass break. anyway GL with it
I have changed my mind on this build way too much. I am resolved that this will be the final revision. I am actually getting close to being able to order the rear, suspension, wheels, and tires. I am going to order it all at once. From there I'll only need an operative short block and a couple other random things.

People normally don't randomly do things like that, but for some odd reason people around me like to do stupid crap like this. A month or so before this happened to my car someone tried to break into my mom's car and broke 3 of the door handles off. The night before my car got smashed two of my neighbors had their licence plates stolen off of their cars. It's all just stupid petty stuff.

I was home and sleeping. It happened around 3am as my parents who live across the street heard it and my dad came out. My mom said she heard a loud bang and woke my dad up. My dad went out and he said he saw some guy running away really quickly. He thought someone threw something at one of their cars so he went out and checked them out, but nothing was damaged. He said he didn't think to look at mine or my roommate's car.

My bedroom is on the opposite side of the house than the front door and driveway. My room is against the east wall on the second story and the driveway is on the west side of the house below the deck. If I had heard it I would have been out there with Mr. 12 Gauge too, but I didn't. I am keeping the car in my locked garage now so it won't be an issue. I dare someone to try and mess with one of my cars again. I'm keeping my wrecked car under a car cover where I used to park my 95. They can do what ever they want to that thing and I'll be ready this time.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you should set up a nanny cam, just incase
and i looked i couldnt find your professor thing, and you buying a rear and all that is whats setting you back. if u didnt buy all the suspension you could be driving your car over a year ago+, you should have done the susp after the motor was in running and you were driving your baby around. but then again if you had finished your car you would have been repairing the LSX, so i guess things happen for a reason.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
sounds like you should set up a nanny cam, just incase
and i looked i couldnt find your professor thing, and you buying a rear and all that is whats setting you back. if u didnt buy all the suspension you could be driving your car over a year ago+, you should have done the susp after the motor was in running and you were driving your baby around. but then again if you had finished your car you would have been repairing the LSX, so i guess things happen for a reason.
I thought about it after this happened, but there just isn't a very good spot to mount one. We've never had issues like this before in our neighborhood. I really can't put my finger on who would break someone's door handles or steal license plates.

I'll PM you a link to the professor thing. I'm not going to post it.

My garage is just a musical revolving parts storage. With everything that's gone on I've kind of been forced to change my plans to get it running once as soon as possible. I've said it before, but this time I am serious and close... This thing will be running in the next 3-6 months at the most. I have enough money to order the rear and most of the suspension now, but I need to be able to order at least the rear wheels at the same time. By the time I get my tax return I will have more than enough money to order everything and it will be really close to running. I just need to keep pinching my pennies.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BFR,

Is there anything wrong with your actual dif?
Put your motor together and worry about peripherals later. because after sitting 2 years, there will be other things you need to take care off besides upgrading your dif, Brakes, hoses, tranny, tires ..... You'll find a multitude of things needing replacement in the first few weeks you get it moving again.

Been there, done it, trust me on that one.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
BFR,

Is there anything wrong with your actual dif?
Put your motor together and worry about peripherals later. because after sitting 2 years, there will be other things you need to take care off besides upgrading your dif, Brakes, hoses, tranny, tires ..... You'll find a multitude of things needing replacement in the first few weeks you get it moving again.

Been there, done it, trust me on that one.
PREDATOR-Z,

No, there isn't anything wrong with the rear end in my car. I know what you mean and you have me thinking once again that I should simply get it running. That is what my friend has been trying to tell me for a long time. I just kind of feel like it would be a waste of time, money, and effort to have to do everything two to three times.

On the other hand though the car hasn't even moved under it's own power in 29 months. I may just simply try and find a short block to stick in there with some mild 5.3 heads, ported LS2 intake, a cam, and LS7 clutch. I just see it as resigning to building something that I don't exactly want. I've done a whole lot of it so far, but I see both sides of the coin. I could really use all of the rear, suspension parts, wheels, and tires I was looking to order for this car to set up my 93 as a rolling chassis.

I'll do some possible revisions to my list and see how it works out.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

I would just build the powerplant you want, dont settle. stock suspension will suit you fine for a while, rear and trans will proly last longer than you think and if they break you were thinking of upgrading anyway. you will have the car back though. use the money you have get it running and use the other money as it comes in to upgrade the other components...my .02

idk how you let the car stay down that long...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ The way I am looking at it is I could spend $1500 to get a nice low mile long block with a couple extras. I could also spend roughly that $1500 to have the machine work done to my iron block, assemble the LS7 crank, Lunati Pro Billet Rods, -5cc JE pistons, AFR 225 heads, super vic, and accell 4150 TB. Either way I'd need headers, clutch, fuel parts, tires, and gears.

I'm not sure. You guys have me thinking about this too much again. I did have my mind set, but now I am double guessing myself again. I'll play with some numbers tonight. I have to work an overnight shift from 11pm to 7am so I should have some time to think about it.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, if you would stop changing your mind so much you would have those headers, clutch, fuel parts, tires, and gears.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck your almost there!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
LOL, if you would stop changing your mind so much you would have those headers, clutch, fuel parts, tires, and gears.
I agree to an extent, but there have been a lot of circumstances outside of my control that have made this build take much longer than it should have.

Originally Posted by southpaw0314
good luck your almost there!
Not quite, but I am getting there. I'm looking at a few different options right now, but I am pretty sure with what path I am going to follow.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you will never get married, your too afraid of commitment lol. just get it done already you have two builds going on at once, you could have been driving and been having fun by now

Last edited by chrysler kid; 12-11-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

sorry to hear that man. Ive got 128,000 on my original motor that was sprayed. everyday i drive it and expect that to happen. Good luck...
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

The newest news is that my friend is closing his shop. This is the shop where my car has been camping out for around the past two years. It sucks because I won't have the access to the tools and direct help he was giving me, but it will be in my garage from now on. I can get it cleaned off again and start doing all of the little things I wanted to do to it. I have a very large list of little things I am looking to do to it.

The next big step is on Thursday my friend and I are going to be towing my cars home and that leads into my next project. I am going to be removing this extremely annoying wall in my garage. My garage is a two car garage, but with this wall in the way it turns my car into barely a single car garage. My friends and I are going to start removing it tomorrow. The goal is to have it out and everything repainted before Thursday. After that it is just simply saving money.

At the end of January I am going to be ordering everything I need from MWCP to get my car setup as a rolling chassis. I'd say that is about 60-65% of the total cost of the build. From there I'll need right around $3800 to get everything else; engine, clutch, hydraulics, wheels, fuel, bolt ons, etc... My tax return should cover most of that and I am working on another giant parts for sale thread that should cover the rest. I am working on getting that together and I will post up a link to it when I am done with it.

Ideally, I want to have it running again by my birthday in February which is right around when I bought the car three years ago. That would be awesome, but realistically I am thinking that it will be around March or April. It all depends on how quickly people will buy the stuff I am selling and not having any horrible happenings cast upon me.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
you will never get married, your too afraid of commitment lol. just get it done already you have two builds going on at once, you could have been driving and been having fun by now
I am glad that you edited that. I simply chose not to reply to it as it was and start something stupid. The main issue was losing my old job. I went for three months with no income and had to sell over half of the major parts I owned. Parts of the delay were my fault and I'll admit that.

Originally Posted by 30thTA#611
sorry to hear that man. Ive got 128,000 on my original motor that was sprayed. everyday i drive it and expect that to happen. Good luck...
This was just an absolute fluke accident. Unless you plan on driving your car underwater or parking it on jack stands during a tropical storm I don't think you'll have issues.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

No offense dude at all, but you sound just like one of my friends. He's been "working" on his bike for 5 years now... every time he gets close, he has another brilliant idea and starts tinkering again.

Result? 5 years, no riding. Seriously. Get an engine in there. Hell, even if it's a stock low-mileage LS1 with no mods. Enjoy driving it, and then start adding things as you go. That way you've GOT a working car, and can figure out WHILE driving it when it's "good enough" - instead of sitting there wondering and never getting close.

No offense intended again, but really... Just get it going, then figure out what to do with it. Especially since after sitting this long, it's gonna be a ~mess~
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I vote to just get it back on the road and then work on it here and there, unless your hobby consists of planning it out and working on it instead of driving it (not that there is anything wrong with that). I'm not trying to be critical at all, but this is just a hobby for most of us. There are plenty of things I would love to do to my car, but I can't afford to do it all at once nor do I have the time for it. Modding is a vicious cycle... to most of us our cars are never really "done". You can put together the ultimate combo now, but after a year or two at the most you will start thinking of other things to do or possibly another direction for the car completely. Then again, I'm not one that has to have the absolute fastest car on the road; it just needs to be fast and fun enough for me.

Quick Reply: My Engine Committed Suicide Yesterday