Sponsored by:

415 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 415 stroker

didnt find much info with the search.
ANyone running and having luck with a 6.0 block, .030 over with a 4.1 crank?
What kinda power is it making, any issues etc....
TIA
Old 07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a guy named RandyWS6 or something like that. He has one. The thing that's important about large stroke motors is ordering custom pistons to fit your application. You really have to get the ringlands and pin location right to avoid having oil consumption problems.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
There's a guy named RandyWS6 or something like that. He has one. The thing that's important about large stroke motors is ordering custom pistons to fit your application. You really have to get the ringlands and pin location right to avoid having oil consumption problems.
I spoke with Matt at SDPC and he said that they have a set made by Manley I think it was just for that very purpose. Is/was that the only issue with them?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, pretty much. The problem is that the iron blocks have the shortest of all the factory sleeve lengths. That makes stuffing a larger crank in there a oil consuming liability. On the other hand I'd love to put a 4.125 crank in a L92 block. Along with a 4.060 bore that's an easy 427 cubic inches. Along with that bore sizing you'd be able to fit some nice heads on there too.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

I have the LQ4 block, I also have the L92 heads and the L76 intake. Well, if the board member here would ever ship them (heads) and quit ignoring my Pm's for the tracking number.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any oil consumption at all, I used a LS2 aluminum block, 4.100" crank, 6.125" rods 4.030" bore =418cid. (6.8L) ,yes i had custom pistons made by Ross, These were the first ever made By Ross , i spend a lot of time measuring piston clearance to crank and reluctor ring and piston out of the bore, The first set ,the counter weights hit the pistons so i put them in my mill and clearance the so i would have .060" clearance from wrist pin boss to counter weight,Sent the pistons back to Ross and they machine me a new set and they fit perfect, and then I had to machine the reluctor ring down .030" and then took the crank sensor and machine the tab so it would move deeper in the block to achieve .020" clearance from the crank sensor to reluctor ring, Then clearance the rod bolt to the block to maintain .060" clearance,Then had to clearance the front of the oil pan for the rod bolts , shimed the wind age tray for the rod bolts, The piston has ring support landing cause the wrist pin is in the oil control ring, The motor has been in my car for about five months now runs grate and also i have 250 shot of nitrous ,you can see in my sig some of the build of the 418cid.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I don't have any oil consumption at all, I used a LS2 aluminum block, 4.100" crank, 6.125" rods 4.030" bore =418cid. (6.8L) ,yes i had custom pistons made by Ross, These were the first ever made By Ross , i spend a lot of time measuring piston clearance to crank and reluctor ring and piston out of the bore, The first set ,the counter weights hit the pistons so i put them in my mill and clearance the so i would have .060" clearance from wrist pin boss to counter weight,Sent the pistons back to Ross and they machine me a new set and they fit perfect, and then I had to machine the reluctor ring down .030" and then took the crank sensor and machine the tab so it would move deeper in the block to achieve .020" clearance from the crank sensor to reluctor ring, Then clearance the rod bolt to the block to maintain .060" clearance,Then had to clearance the front of the oil pan for the rod bolts , shimed the wind age tray for the rod bolts, The piston has ring support landing cause the wrist pin is in the oil control ring, The motor has been in my car for about five months now runs grate and also i have 250 shot of nitrous ,you can see in my sig some of the build of the 418cid.
sounds like alot of $$ in machine work, I should prolly just go with the standard 408. I think I will do that and add the N2O. I was going to do a 370 turbo engine but opted to stay N/A.
Thanks a ton for your replpy, it helped me out quite a bit
Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

No, there was little money involved, You can do it your self .Get you a die grinder and a carbide bit, and put the crank and rods & pistons in with out the ring and start looking at the spots that need clearance ,The only money involved was the reluctor ring but had it done when i had the crank and rods balanced cost me 20.00 dollars more ,Its just mostly time assembleing and tar downs. The piston desine is allready there just call Ross and they can make you the pistons here the number for the pistons (JC-113267)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Randy, so no oil consumption at all?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Only about 1/2qt.every 2000 miles ,but its from the vent pipes coming off the valve covers after a hard run. The plugs are a dark tan and dry, and Ive had people behind me when i get into it and no sign of any smoke, Plus i use (Total Seal) rings not the gapless, But they have the Steel top ring instead of the ductile rings ,the steel rings seam to seal much better and the oil control ring has a high seat pressure .
Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Only about 1/2qt.every 2000 miles ,but its from the vent pipes coming off the valve covers after a hard run. The plugs are a dark tan and dry, and Ive had people behind me when i get into it and no sign of any smoke, Plus i use (Total Seal) rings not the gapless, But they have the Steel top ring instead of the ductile rings ,the steel rings seam to seal much better and the oil control ring has a high seat pressure .
mind if I ask what kinda power you're making on and off the bottle? Or the times it runs