Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious head problem. maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry serious head problem. maybe?

i just had headers installed on a 02 WS6 but i had a broken bolt in the head the rear bolt on the driver side. the shop i took it to said thety could get it out no prob. but when i showed up later on that evening the car was on the lift w/ water running out the rear bolt hole he had to drill out is this normal ? he said it was that the rear bolt hole on the LS1 head were conected to the water galley but there was nothing coming out the other side. So is he full of **** like i think so . did he drill in to deep and screw up my head cause i also have oil in my water and the car was smoking like hell under the hood on the driver side and smelt just like antifreeze. or do i just have a blowed head gasket . i noticed a gewy slimmy/sludge on the water dipstick could this be the sealant he said he shot in the hole b4 he put the bolt back in, or just oil sludge out of the motor it has 115,000 mile on it
Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt it's a head gasket if the car (and head gasket) were fine prior to the header install.

Sounds like either he drilled to far and got into the water jacket, or cracked something trying to extract the bolt.

Best of luck getting it fixed.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ksk1980
i just had headers installed on a 02 WS6 but i had a broken bolt in the head the rear bolt on the driver side. the shop i took it to said thety could get it out no prob. but when i showed up later on that evening the car was on the lift w/ water running out the rear bolt hole he had to drill out is this normal ? he said it was that the rear bolt hole on the LS1 head were conected to the water galley but there was nothing coming out the other side. So is he full of **** like i think so . did he drill in to deep and screw up my head cause i also have oil in my water and the car was smoking like hell under the hood on the driver side and smelt just like antifreeze. or do i just have a blowed head gasket . i noticed a gewy slimmy/sludge on the water dipstick could this be the sealant he said he shot in the hole b4 he put the bolt back in, or just oil sludge out of the motor it has 115,000 mile on it
The exhaust bolt holes are blind.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

well good thing here no oil in water just an extremely dirty res. and dipstick
Old 10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

but car is still leaking water when it warms up pouring from driverside head. i mean a steady stream not a lil drip and when i rev the car up it shoots water over on the headers causing the smoke under the hood
Old 10-12-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Head is cracked or drilled through. Sounds like the guy went to far and was trying to cover his ***. Youll proabbly need a new head, as I doubt theyll be able to weld this back up for you. Sorry man, that really sucks. Go complain to the shop and see if they'll do something for you.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Head is cracked or drilled through. Sounds like the guy went to far and was trying to cover his ***. Youll proabbly need a new head, as I doubt theyll be able to weld this back up for you. Sorry man, that really sucks. Go complain to the shop and see if they'll do something for you.
Yea...they really should be the ones replacing your heads since they screwed it up.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PortPros1
The exhaust bolt holes are blind.
What is meant by this?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya this is when you need to go to the shop and start bitching. I would start with saying that he needs to pay to have it fixed and then if he refuses say you will take him to court. Good luck but this is when you need to be an ******* to the guy.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the others.

First thing you need to do is call the shop and speak with the manager. You might have to go as far as small claims court as well. He broke your head. Was it leaking before hand? Nough said. Removing the head will show the damage. You need to document it all on paper right now just in case they are scumbags about it and wont pay for the new head, which it sounds like they are trying to deny they did anything wrong already.

Small claims court and dont be affraid to threaten the shop owner with it when you call him to tell him they broke your head. You need to get his attention to the fact your not going to be taken advantage of. It sucks but this is what you need to do. They have to be hacks in the first place to do what they did. How much did they charge you to remove the bolt?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
What is meant by this?
Blind means the bolt holes do not go all the way through. Head bolt holes are also blind, which is why you need to clean them out otherwise you can crack the block when the bolt compresses the coolant and it has no where else to go.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Blind means the bolt holes do not go all the way through. Head bolt holes are also blind, which is why you need to clean them out otherwise you can crack the block when the bolt compresses the coolant and it has no where else to go.
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned

Just had a second thought. If they only damaged the head. If they tried to do it on the motor and went crooked and hit the block your &*cked. You need to take pictures, do you know of good reputable shop to take it to? You need to find out what the real damage is, document it with photo's and be prepared.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Just had a second thought. If they only damaged the head. If they tried to do it on the motor and went crooked and hit the block your &*cked. You need to take pictures, do you know of good reputable shop to take it to? You need to find out what the real damage is, document it with photo's and be prepared.
They'd have to be pretty far off the mark to drill into the block from a header bolt hole!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

I agree he drilled too far and got into the water jacket. If it were me, I would try some teflon tape on that bolt and see if it still leaks any water out of the hole. If it still leaks, it is time for the head to come off and either be repaired (if possible) or replaced. Sense they screwed up the repair, I am pretty sure they would be responsible for the repair. Another thing to consider is it may be a good time for you to step up to a ported set of heads and maybe just get them to do the install for free. That would be a win/win on your part.

Good luck!

Galen
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Banned

They'd have to be pretty far off the mark to drill into the block from a header bolt hole!
I agree, I was being a little funny but we're not talking a bout a genius here in the first place so you never know. Talking on the cell phone while he's leaning on the drill and then

You dont need to drill the thing out in the first place. A pilot hole and an easy out would have taken care of it but you really cant get a good angle on some of those bolts while they're on the car. A good mech would have yanked the head if there was even a question.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

i picked up the car and the guy told me he put in a longer bolt instead of the stud he used so hopefully this fixes the problem . so far no smoke under the hood but i still smell a lil bit of antifreeze but hopefully its just burning the crap off from the other day. its dark out so i cant see hardly anything.

i also asked him about doing a head/ cam package he told me $400 on labor ,he just gonna charge me for installing the cam not the heads does this sound pretty decent to ya'll ?

i think my rings are bout shot also cause my wife who was following me home said when i nailed it i smoked the whole road out where she bout couldnt see but when it idles it runs clean as can be could the car being really rich cause excessive smoke like this as well i know it burns a lil bit of oil when i rev the **** out of it in the driveway but i never open it up like i do when im driving(i pretty much stay at the rev limit)

if i do need a rebuild on the bottom end how much $ are we talking here i know i could take the bill through the roof but i want to do this as cheap as i can but i aint about to go rebuild a LS1 w/ Advanced auto parts. I want something that will be reliable/but not outrageous. of course i want as much power as i can get but still be decently priced because when i do this project im gonna have to do the top end as well

any suggestion plz on set up / products if using the stock crank is a waste really what do i need to rebuild the whole motor and not cost mucho $$, but still be bad *** and reliable.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

I think your an idiot if you let him touch your car again.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:02 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I think your an idiot if you let him touch your car again.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

According to our President...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qDuG0ZYD5I
Old 10-13-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ksk1980
he just gonna charge me for installing the cam not the heads does this sound pretty decent to ya'll ?
Sounds to me like he knows the head is fucked up and he would be more than happy to swap them befroe you notice the coolant leak is still there....

Go somewhere else....