Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dot to dot cam marks is 2 deg off ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dot to dot cam marks is 2 deg off ?

i installed a lingenfelter gt2-3 cam using the dot to dot method as there was no adjustable quick single chain sprocket i could get my hands on

but using the ls2 chain which has some more slack that the original chain i measured a 2-3 degree diff.
eg. cam should open inlet at 9 deg before TDC and it opend at 6-7 deg before TDC

no biggie ?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like with most LS1 cams, advance gets ground in the profile, I bet if you call you will find it what ever the LSA is and then +2.

I never seen such a thing until I got into LS1 motors. Maybe LT1's had it too, I just maybe never noticed lol.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the Comp Cams adjustable timing chain with my cam install...dot-to-dot, mine was off 4 degrees.
2 degrees can have a noticable effect on torque output...I would get an adjustable timing chain and get it right.
JC
Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 on the adjustable

get it right the first time, it makes a big difference.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

I recently checked the cam I've installed in my 6.0L - heads off, on stand - and the ICL came out to be right where I spec'd the cam to be ground (111+0). Installed "dot-to-dot" with the stock LQ4 sprockets and a new LS2 chain.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Actually what you should be checking is intake centerline. Not when the valve opens. Find where intake is open .050" then find where intake is .050" from closing. Then split the readings and that is the centerline.

Check this out http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...07/379-380.pdf
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

did a little dyno testing with my cam today. originally put it in straight up. cam peaked a little soon. so, i retarded the cam 5* to make it 0*. (cam has 5* advance ground into it).

not a good thing to do. this just goes to show that you need to make sure it's installed correctly, or you can lose alot.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeejee
i installed a lingenfelter gt2-3 cam using the dot to dot method as there was no adjustable quick single chain sprocket i could get my hands on

but using the ls2 chain which has some more slack that the original chain i measured a 2-3 degree diff.
eg. cam should open inlet at 9 deg before TDC and it opend at 6-7 deg before TDC

no biggie ?
This is the reason why its always suggested to degree the cam when it is installed. Even though you are using OEM components, there are enough variables that it's not worth taking the chance.

I suppose to answer your question, using the results mrr23 posted, is the possibility of 10 extra HP and 20 lb-ft no biggie?

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Seems like with most LS1 cams, advance gets ground in the profile, I bet if you call you will find it what ever the LSA is and then +2.

I never seen such a thing until I got into LS1 motors. Maybe LT1's had it too, I just maybe never noticed lol.
Many cam manufacturers grind advance into the cam. Its their way of trying to save you from yourself. Too many people follow their finger to the bottom of the page when making cam selections. 4 degrees of advance helps salvage some low-end from a too-big selection.

Also, based on the original posters observation, it should open at 9* BTDC and it actually opens at 6-7* BTDC, that would be 2-3* retarded, not advanced.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hammertime

Also, based on the original posters observation, it should open at 9* BTDC and it actually opens at 6-7* BTDC, that would be 2-3* retarded, not advanced.

i know i never said it was advanced... but "retarded cam" sounded not quite right
Old 11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeejee
i know i never said it was advanced... but "retarded cam" sounded not quite right
You know, you're right. We really can't say your camshaft is retarded; it just wouldn't be politically correct.

I guess we’re relegated to “Angularly Challenged” or “Involuntarily Tardy”.

Quick Reply: dot to dot cam marks is 2 deg off ?