Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 camaro Ls1 swap, Ls1 has had better days

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 camaro Ls1 swap, Ls1 has had better days

Last week was on the rev limiter for a sec. Engine knocks now, drained oil, it was fine two little metal shavings in the oil after i ran a magnet through it. Pulled off valve covers rockers look ok push rods ok. Any ideas??

This weekend im going to cut open the oil filter see what i have. If there is metal in it im gonna stroke that ****....

Good oil pressure
No power loss
Only Knocks above 1500rpm
Idle sounds normal

Ls1w/gmhotcam
Attached Thumbnails 91 camaro Ls1 swap, Ls1 has had better days-l_ac7cc38f0692348e848da6990b16ebb4.jpg   91 camaro Ls1 swap, Ls1 has had better days-1475390657_l.jpg  
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome car dude.

Banging off the limiter shouldn't cause damage like that, that is what they are for. Unless your limter is set to high????

You probably have/had another issue that caused it....good luck!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you give a better or more description of the knock.. where does it sound like it is coming from ?.. upper or lower end ? low or high pitched knock..?

Rods, valves, rocker, lifters, piston ??? could even be the the clutch/trans...(remote but??)
Old 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Default trans

Its a low pitched knock. Sound from the bottom end. Its possible it could be the trans, cause I noticed the whole bottom of my car was covered in trans fluid. I have not had a chance to check the trans fluid yet. Im think about pulling the trans and starting the motor, would that make since??
Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, that is a sweet car man. Hopefully one day one of my 3rd gen gets that treatment.

Can you give more discription of the setup? Where is the rev limiter set at? What kind of tranny? Does it only make the noise in gear? Are you getting any kind of smoke?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Your car is sweet like cotton candy! Good luck getting that beast back up and running. Awesome swap.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Could it be a wrist pin? I have heard that this is common on these engines as well as piston slap. But piston slap is only present mostly when you are in a cold start condition. A way to tell if it is a wrist pin is to ground out the plug for that cylinder or unplug the coil and see if it goes away. If it makes no difference, it is probally a rod bearing going away. By the way, What kind of headers are you using??? I am in the process of converting my race car to an LS1 and am in need of headers!!!!! Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Im using headers that I bought from hawksthirdgenparts.com Long tubes and I had them jethot coated. All stock ls1 with a gmhotcam and ls6 springs.

The engine never smokes, im running a t56 trans. And the knock is present all the time hot and cold. It makes the noise in gear and in neutral or with the clutch engauged or disengauged. It only will knock about 1500rpm and gets worse as you go up in the rpm.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

i would look at the tranny. how would a t56 puke fluid unless something BAD was broke?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the clutch was disengauged, there should be nothing spinning in the Trans at any RPM and the disk should not be spinning either.. I would rule out the Trans for now, but I would question the fluid all over the place again. Have you found the source of the fluid (power Steering) ?

I would guess at a spun bearing at this point.. but let us know what you find. (did you check the oil and filter as you were going to do?).
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Im going to pull the trans, see whats up with all the fluid leaking. But yeah with the clutch pushed in, it still knocks. There is definetly trans fluid from my trans crossmember back. Looks like bad news...
Ive been working crazy hours on another project car so I havent had the time to work on my camaro yet. I just wanted to ask your opinions before I started tearing stuff down. Trans has been working great, Im thinking just a seal is leaking maybe the driveshaft seal?? not sure

I will know what the hell I did to the engine this weekend. Im kinda thinking of doing a stroker or something cool. More hp would be nice.... While I have the engine out im gonna shave the firewall completly and do a remote brake booster
put the brakes inside the car. Shave the wiper cowl and ditch the corvette valve covers put the coil packs inside the car also. Im gonna clean up the engine bay some more.

Thanks for the input.....