Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth II cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91_RS_LS1
I'll admit I don't know much about cam design, but I would think if one were running heads that had max flow at or above .600 lift that a cam with max lift at ~ .600 would make more power than a cam with .581 lift. Then again, it's only .020 of an inch
Peak lift is just one point on a continous distribution. The high lift cams typically have more duration at .200 and .400 lift so the area under the curve is greater than the same duration (.05 measured) cams with lower lifts. This is where the gains often come from.

I would go with Predator's design or even his design on a 114 lobe. It will not require a very high idle to completely hide the lope.

The CheaTR is a nice cam, but optimized for stock manifolds. It will work, but again in this situation, reducing the LSA would make more power and accomplish the goal.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Peak lift is just one point on a continous distribution. The high lift cams typically have more duration at .200 and .400 lift so the area under the curve is greater than the same duration (.05 measured) cams with lower lifts. This is where the gains often come from.
Thanks for explaining that. I hadn't thought about the shape of the lobes.... but now that I think about it, it would make a huge difference in the peak power and power band.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 91_RS_LS1
I'll admit I don't know much about cam design, but I would think if one were running heads that had max flow at or above .600 lift that a cam with max lift at ~ .600 would make more power than a cam with .581 lift. Then again, it's only .020 of an inch
Yes correct, but even with a head that only flows in the 275/280 cfm at .600 lift, you can benefit fron a bit higher lift. It will act like a crutch, and that is true untill the flow becomes turbulent. That is the point where more lift doesn't benefit anymore.
The other reason is the lobe rate at various lifts, .006/.050/.200/.400

That is why I do not agree with Zach's statement. And i've tested that various times in my cams
Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going for a sleeper you should keep your manifolds and just get the cheatr cam or something close to that...with headers the cam lobe is magnified dramatically, much harder to hide...stock manifolds flow alot better than most people realize...with the stock cam and 3360 race weight and stock manifold and cats on the car i went a best of 11.72 at 115.4mph the da was -950 ft but on a 0 da da the car would run 11.90 all day...this was on stock manifolds and cats...just think if i had the cheatr cam...

if i were to go the sleeper route it would be ported and milled 241 heads with a cheatr cam or something close with stock manifolds...maybe even add a hidden 100 shot dry kit...you could run mid to high 10s with that setup...

and everyone would think you are just another stock head, stock cam, mild bolt-on car who doesn't even have headers yet...

fyi my qtp headers and ory added me around 12-15hp
Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
But, lately I just used a 224/222 XFI/XE-R(actualy 225/223 once ground) and it made ~ 10 rwhp more cam only, so if you tailor the combo with the right valve events it will make more power.
Pred, how much time did you drop in the quarter mile with that custom Stealth cam in comparison w/the old one that you ran an 11.2 with. Also, since the original poster mentioned the tried and true TR224 camshaft, what improvements would you recommend with that grind as well....?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrs1313
If you are going for a sleeper you should keep your manifolds and just get the cheatr cam or something close to that...with headers the cam lobe is magnified dramatically, much harder to hide...stock manifolds flow alot better than most people realize...with the stock cam and 3360 race weight and stock manifold and cats on the car i went a best of 11.72 at 115.4mph the da was -950 ft but on a 0 da da the car would run 11.90 all day...this was on stock manifolds and cats...just think if i had the cheatr cam...

if i were to go the sleeper route it would be ported and milled 241 heads with a cheatr cam or something close with stock manifolds...maybe even add a hidden 100 shot dry kit...you could run mid to high 10s with that setup...

and everyone would think you are just another stock head, stock cam, mild bolt-on car who doesn't even have headers yet...

fyi my qtp headers and ory added me around 12-15hp

Well Im pretty much sold on getting the Stealth2. I thought the stealth2 with LT's would still idle like a stock motor with LT's as were theh cheatr cam would have alittle lope with headers. Im not looking for blistering track times, I just want a nice street car that drives and sounds like stock with bolt-ons but with more power.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im looking for a cam for a stock 5.3 in my 03 Silverado, it will have LT's and a cat back, cold air intake and a wheatly or nelson tune, how well do you think the stealth cam would work for this combo?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Well Im pretty much sold on getting the Stealth2. I thought the stealth2 with LT's would still idle like a stock motor with LT's as were theh cheatr cam would have alittle lope with headers. Im not looking for blistering track times, I just want a nice street car that drives and sounds like stock with bolt-ons but with more power.
The stealth 2 with headers and catback is not like stock, more like a nervous rapid chopchop. Quiet compared to lopey cams thaugh. -10* overlap
The CheaTR is -13* overlap so technicaly quieter than the Stealth 2
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I thought the stealth2 with LT's would still idle like a stock motor with LT's as were theh cheatr cam would have alittle lope with headers.
On what information, or lack thereof, did you reach that conclusion?

BTW, As someone else pointed out, if you want true stealth, skip the headers and go with a cam designed for stock manifolds. Most Headers are thinner and louder than manifolds.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
On what information, or lack thereof, did you reach that conclusion?

BTW, As someone else pointed out, if you want true stealth, skip the headers and go with a cam designed for stock manifolds. Most Headers are thinner and louder than manifolds.
I was told this info when I called MTI, Im putting headers on regardless, so I based my desicion around this. I was told that the cheatr would have more of a noticable lope with headers than the stealth2 would. Since I'm putting headers on, wouldnt it seem like I would be better off with the stealth2 since the cheatr was designed to work with manifolds? I do have a really good tuner to tune my car so even then I would amagine the idle could be played with until it sounded stockish?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was told this info when I called MTI, Im putting headers on regardless, so I based my desicion around this. I was told that the cheatr would have more of a noticable lope with headers than the stealth2 would. Since I'm putting headers on, wouldnt it seem like I would be better off with the stealth2 since the cheatr was designed to work with manifolds? I do have a really good tuner to tune my car so even then I would amagine the idle could be played with until it sounded stockish?
Barney, READ post #28
Old 12-02-2007, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like already stated i have a stock cam and with headers and still stock exhaust with a cutout and people think i have a cam because it screams...

if you want a true sleeper go with the cheatr and stock manifolds...i dont know why you are so fixed on the headers it is really a waste of money if you are not looking to put a big cam in and you are trying for a sleeper and dont care about huge times...

u would be better off spending the money on ls6 intake...

curious to why you want headers so bad...if you want a stock sounding cam...

listen to predator he knows what he is talking about...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Things seem to be getting alittle out of context here. I understand that it wont be 100% stock sounding with headers but I got an awsome deal on a set of use LT's from a friend, also I will be running a catted y. People seem to be getting off track here. Earlier in the thread I said which cam would make more power with headers and I said I want a car that sound like stock motor with bolt-ons, headers being one of them. If it has a tiny chop to it, I'll live with it, I just didnt want the crazy lope like most guys have. Im not new to cams, My LT1 has a 24x/24x on a 106LSA, and trust me that lopes extreamly hard and sounds like a 9 sec monster but it aint that fast. I dont want my SS to sound faster than it really is.

Heres a sound clip of the stealth series cam I pulled off of MTI's web site.
http://www.motorsporttech.com/media/..._idlesound.mpg

Heres another video of the stealth2
http://lsx.streetfire.net/search/ste...38d927ef8f.htm
Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

That second video sounds almost exactly like the set up in my sig below. I'm currently running mids with a Borla cat-back but will be switching to LT QTPs this winter when I install my ported 5.3 heads.

Don't worry about others telling you to run manifolds. I dosn't matter if your car is quiet with manifolds or louder with LTs. People are STILL going to under estimate what the car is capable of. I routinely whip up on Vettes all the time, most of them never saw it comming until it was too late. Most swear the cam is stock.

Re'
Old 12-03-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Then this is what I suggest after your new intput:

224/222 .604/.581 114+2 LSA
This is a custom grind XFI/XE-R
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

How would the characteristics of this cam be compaired to the one you suggested on the 1st page?

224/220 .604/.581 115+2 LSA
Old 12-04-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Second Club

I called both TR and MTI about the CheaTR and the Stealth2. I've narrowed down my search to these 2 cams. Now my problem is which one? They both claim about 40rwhp gain with supporting mods which I will have. Maybe I'll just flip a coin, what you guys think?
I put down 399whp with patriot stage 2's/TR CheaTR...through a Th-400...good power is achieviable with either. The idle is subtle and not THAT notiable with my cutout closed.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
How would the characteristics of this cam be compaired to the one you suggested on the 1st page?

224/220 .604/.581 115+2 LSA
You would barely be able to tell the difference between the two cams. The cam with the higher lobe separation would peak slightly later maybe 200 rpms thats all.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 52172
You would barely be able to tell the difference between the two cams. The cam with the higher lobe separation would peak slightly later maybe 200 rpms thats all.
A tad more overlap, a tad more DCR, a touch of more exhaust, all together a tiny bit more ponies under the curve.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Would this be considered a good cam for a Procharged application or is the intake lobe too aggressive?