Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Rebuild Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Rebuild Parts

I've torn my 01 motor down and have had the machine work done and am now looking to gather all the parts to assemble. Here's a parts list that I've come up with:

Gaskets
  1. Oil Pan
  2. Front Cover (Gasket and Seal)
  3. Rear Cover (Gasket and Seal)
  4. Water Pump
  5. Head Gaskets
  6. Coolant Crossover

Bolts
  1. Rod Bolds (ARP)
  2. Head Bolts (ARP)

Bearings
  1. Rod Bearings
  2. Main Bearings

Piston Rings

Am I missing anything?

Also, is there any reason to buy from the dealership as opposed to a SDPC, or other parts providers?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Cam bearings. Other stuff will pop up as you go along. Are you going to use aftermarket piston and rods? The pistons I was looking at a couple months ago cam with rings.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
Cam bearings. Other stuff will pop up as you go along. Are you going to use aftermarket piston and rods? The pistons I was looking at a couple months ago cam with rings.
Machine shop is installing the cam bearings. And I'm going with stock pistons and rods so I'll need to purchase the piston rings separately.

What sort of things did you experience pop up during your build?

Also, any thoughts on where I should buy this stuff?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gaskets - Exhaust manifold, valley cover gasket
Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Might as well do it right and throw some rods and pistons in it while it's apart. At least you will be prepared for future mods.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Resident

Personally I would use aftermarket pistons and rods. Most of my surprizes came from the vic jr and making the turbo kit. Bought all my gaskets from Thunder Racing. Great service and fast delivery!
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by j99fbody
Gaskets - Exhaust manifold, valley cover gasket
Oh, yeah, already got the exhaust manifold gaskets. I think my valley cover gasket is okay to reuse- looks to be in good shape and I think I read on here that it's fine to reuse.

Might as well do it right and throw some rods and pistons in it while it's apart. At least you will be prepared for future mods.
Originally Posted by deadmanTA
Personally I would use aftermarket pistons and rods. Most of my surprizes came from the vic jr and making the turbo kit. Bought all my gaskets from Thunder Racing. Great service and fast delivery!
I think I'm going to be a tight *** and stick with the stock pistons and rods- I'm only planning on going with a mild cam and don't plan on doing many upgrades after it's together (famous last words, I know).

I'll look into Thunder Racing for the gaskets, should I go with GM rings and bearings or should I get that from Thunder Racing too?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of machine work are you getting done? If your honing the block your gonna have to get oversized pistons and rings, not to mention, you need to file fit the rings to get the proper ring end gap.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dustin 98TA
What kind of machine work are you getting done? If your honing the block your gonna have to get oversized pistons and rings, not to mention, you need to file fit the rings to get the proper ring end gap.
I did have the motor honed, but I don't think that means I have to get bigger pistons (oversized pistons are required when you bore the motor).

I realize I will need to file the piston rings. And that brings me to another question- How important is checking the bearing clearances, measuring crank shaft plan, using the front and rear cover aligning tools, etc?

And again, anyone got any recomendations on where should I purchase the rings and bearings?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jacobm99
I did have the motor honed, but I don't think that means I have to get bigger pistons (oversized pistons are required when you bore the motor).

I realize I will need to file the piston rings. And that brings me to another question- How important is checking the bearing clearances, measuring crank shaft plan, using the front and rear cover aligning tools, etc?

And again, anyone got any recomendations on where should I purchase the rings and bearings?

You do realize that you cant "bore" a LS1 block. It has sleeves. It can only be honed. Make sure you check the piston to bore clearance, if you honed too much you will have piston slap and have to get oversized pistons.
If you dont check bearing clearances, plan on pulling it back out real soon.

Good luck!!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THe machine shop can take care of all that for you. WHich is why your taking it there in the first place to make sure everything is spot on. You also need to make sure that everything is balanced also. But ya have the machine shop file and put your rings on your pistons for you. Atleast you will know that it is perfect .

Also you can bore an LS1, bc im boring mine form 3.898 to a 3.905 ... Just and FYI..