Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a such a thing as a "streetable" solid roller cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a such a thing as a "streetable" solid roller cam?

I so whats the biggest you could run without much hassle? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:49 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Is there a such a thing as a "streetable" solid roller cam?

You should be able to run a larger cam than any hydrualic and remain streetable as long as it is selected to suit your setup.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Is there a such a thing as a

My 242/242 .650/.650 114 solid idles with a nice lope at 850 RPM through the muffler. Open the cutout tho and it chunks nicely. Never a problem driving it. Ever. I'm thinking of going smaller, though, just to bring the power band down a little. 7500 is a little too high, even for me.

Honestly, the G5-X2 idles nastier than my cam.

I just don't understand why people don't think solids are unstreetable. Mine's probably on the order of a 230 duration hydraulic at idle. As soon as I get my A/C fixed I'll even be driving it more.

-Andrew (gots to have A/C)
Old 07-14-2003, 09:48 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a rather healthy cam in a ARE 382 all bore, somewhere above 250 on both durations on a 112 with over 650 lift (I'm being vague on purpose). It's pretty streetable, peaks at 6400. A basic rule for durations is that a comparable solid roller to a hydraulic is to add 10 degrees to the hydraulic profile. Talk to one of the sponsors, they'll set you straight.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,000 Posts

How often do you have to adjust the valve lash? How hard is it to get the lash right on #8?
Old 07-14-2003, 10:30 AM
The Bull

If you relocate the coil packs up front or devise an easy way to take them off, then you can get to all the rockers easily. You lash from the top not the side, which is a relief! You can insert the feeler gauge in there pretty easy. I usually lash mine with every oil change and after each race day. I know there are a few guys who will relash them after each pass, but that's pretty hardcore. When I lash mine after each raceday they are actually very close to the original lash. I've installed a starter bump switch, which makes life nice when doing the lash. Just make sure the car is in neutral and then the press of a button up front and on to the next valve.

Pretty simple if you ask me. Granted, nothing is easier then sitting on your *** and not worrying about it. But anyone can do that!
Old 07-14-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Setting the lash that often might violate someone's definition of 'streetable'. But I don't think that rollers need to be adjusted that often. I've heard some talk about 30,000 miles between lashes.
How about valve springs at those lifts? Do they have to be changed often?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

A number of people who I trust (my head porter/macheanist and some others...) have said its a good idea to check the lash every 6 months or so on a daily driver. They said, with todays rockers and poly locks, "usually" the setting does not change much if any over a six month period.

It only takes me about 2 hours from start (pluu the strut tower brace, fuel rail covers, coil packs, and finally valve covers) to finish (all that back on and ready to drive) so I'm really looking into putting a solid roller on my next engine.

2 hours a day every six months to have a positive valve train that will help my valve springs last longer seems worth it to me....
Old 07-14-2003, 12:37 PM
The Bull

Because I don't have any extra crap on top of my valve covers I can simply pop them off and lash them in about 30 minutes by myself. With the size cam that I am running it's inevitable that I will have to change the springs. However, there is going to be some longevity there and I don't expect that to happen in a while. When and if I choose to upgrade this to a 422/427 (only a crank, cam and pistons are required) I'm sure we'll look at them then. Overall it's nice to have a solid roller, not too many people have them so it's a bit unique for now. I'm sure there will be more in the future, but the work associated with owning and maintaining one might scare a few people off. If my car was truly street driven, I would only check them with every oil change. Even then I wouldn't expect much to change.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn guys, thanks for all the info, that was really helpfull. Whats the largest solid you would run with stock cubes? Would it be worth it? Or should I wait until I rebuild and bore?
Old 07-14-2003, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, Derty..your site is kick ***. I cant get the vids to work though
Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys mentioned daily driver.. What if you put on a 100 miles a day..?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 PM
The Bull

Hmmm, the videos work for me. You can always goto http://www.derty.org/movies and click through them. You may have to save some to see them.

As far as a solid roller goes, you're going to put some money into the lifters, rods, springs, cam, rockers and either spacers or new valve covers. In total with all the little things you're looking at a couple grand easy! If you are planning on going big, you might as well do it all at once. That all depends on how much cash you have on hand.

As far as size goes, call Futral, ARE, Thunder Racing, MTI or any of those other guys listed on the right and ask them. You want to find something that suits your needs, which are very different from mine and everyone else. Ultimately who ever you have build it will stand behind it.

And Vince, when I get off this job and back to something local I will be driving the car quite a bit. Around 500+ miles a week. Unfortunately with the consulting gig, you don't always get to drive to work! That should be changing here shortly and I'll get to enjoy it more often.