Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem! Cam swap in progress. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Big Problem! Cam swap in progress. Please Help!

Sorry the pics are from a camera phone.. its the best i could do.

So basically this is where im at. I was changing valve springs on cylinder #8 and the bolt i was using on my valve spring compressor snapped off in the head. (ya i kno how nice the hardest cylinder) My friend managed to back it out the bolt so we went to get a new bolt for the compressor.

When the bolt broke the valve spring was compressed and the locks were seated around the valve. One lock managed to jump out and fly somewhere and the other lock remained wedged between the tip on the valve and the retainer.

We tried compressing the valve again but its stuck in there pretty good. We also tried compressing it a lil and very softly hitting it w/ an air hammer. Also if you look at the pic the lock is facing toward the motor which means the opposite side of the spring will be compressed first and it will remain at that offset angle. I tried putting a small screw driver under the compressor so it would compress the spring evenly. That also didnt work. Im out of thoughts.

I do wonder... If we bought a very strong bolt and compressed the valve as hard as we could would it break free?? Would this be bad for the valve (possibly bend it)? or the piston?? I am using the top dead center method to hold the valve up.

Im feeling something like this right now...Any opinions/responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by ws6_bandit; 02-24-2008 at 01:03 AM. Reason: pics
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you talked to Keith Mccord out there? He might have a solution or know someone. I am sure you have heard of him hes in Saint Louie real knowledgeable fellow.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Launching!

You are just going to have keep trying. Walk away and come back later. If you are trying to compress the spring and the valve is moving as well I would try to use the compressed air method as well. With the lock on the back as it is I would compress it and then tap on the front of the retainer to move the spring toward your intake manifold and free it. Also stuff some rags in those holes in your heads so your keeper doe not end up in your engine. You'll get it. Heck it was a major achievement getting the broken bolt out. Be sure your new bolt is a grade 8 or harder.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem with the TDC method is the valve hits the piston on the edge of the valve and could bend it I suppose if you force it hard enough. I would try rotating the piston down about 1 inch from the top, get some soft braided 1/8" nylon rope and feed as much as you can into the cylinder, then rotate the piston back up to the top so the rope is compressed against the valve. Then try compressing the valve spring again. The rope should provide a more even force distribution across the face of the valve.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Id get the air tool and try compressing the spring and tapping it with a hammer. When I did my valvesprings, I was getting tired and on the last one I didnt have the locks in right, and one popped out and flew somewhere, and the other one stayed in like that. I had air holding the valve up, and I just re compressed the spring and tapped with a hammer and screw driver, and it popped out.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

You guys are a great help.. I will try all of thes suggestions. thank you very much. Ill post up the outcome later today.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys. Just a little compressing and tapping finally broke it loose. Just need to put the rockers on and finish up little **** and the g5x4 should be on the road!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ws6_bandit
Thanks guys. Just a little compressing and tapping finally broke it loose. Just need to put the rockers on and finish up little **** and the g5x4 should be on the road!
Congrats. little things can cause the biggest headaches. Enjoy your new found power.