Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blue oil pump o ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disassembled mine so that I could center the oil pump to the crank using two .002 feeler gauges . The oil pump is actually quite simple to disassemble and reassemble. If you take it apart I would mark the edges of the gerotor gears that face outward with a sharpie pen as it is important that they be reinstalled in this manner . I really think you are worrying yourself too much on this . Did you do what I sugested in my last post ? I am sure you will be fine . If you take your pump apart, lube everything up with some engine assembly lube or at least some motor oil . Now go check that o-ring and put that thing back together LOL .
Old 04-26-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you have a spare o-ring, lube it up good and try it with the old pump.

Not sure if you measured, but you need to determine if a change was made to the pump opening on the LS2 pump, I doubt it though.

If you are assembling dry, it will pop off.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

here's a shot of it apart:

no way to tell if its seated correctly, nor is it possible to determine if I damaged the seal putting it in....shouldn't have taken it apart...crap!!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I don't know if I put it in the same direction that I took it out...didn't look like in mattered. I did take apart the old pump and notice a circular notch on the outside face of the outer gear. So I put the new one in with this facing out as well. If it isn't put together the same side facing out any reason I should worry? Please tell me now as I can hop in the car and go pick up a new pump....chalk it up to a $150 mistake.

Should I apply locktite to the pump cover bolts? What is the torque specs on that?
Old 04-26-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zitty'sZ
I disassembled mine so that I could center the oil pump to the crank using two .002 feeler gauges . The oil pump is actually quite simple to disassemble and reassemble. If you take it apart I would mark the edges of the gerotor gears that face outward with a sharpie pen as it is important that they be reinstalled in this manner . I really think you are worrying yourself too much on this . Did you do what I sugested in my last post ? I am sure you will be fine . If you take your pump apart, lube everything up with some engine assembly lube or at least some motor oil . Now go check that o-ring and put that thing back together LOL .
Dammit So it is important to be absolutely certain to reinstall the gears in the same direction. Out $150 fantastic!!!! The wife is going to love this!! Should of warned me about that before I took it out....crap!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by verano29
Dammit So it is important to be absolutely certain to reinstall the gears in the same direction. Out $150 fantastic!!!! The wife is going to love this!! Should of warned me about that before I took it out....crap!
Take a look at this thread and download the document. It explains exactly what your worried about. No big deal.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/835863-oil-pump-porting-how.html

The only oil pump gear that has specific direction is the outer gear. It has a small round dot on the side that faces the pump plate. You can also tell by looking at the outer edge on both sides of the outer gear. One side is chamfered and one side is a 90 degree corner. The chamfered edge goes down into the pump body.

The inside gear can face either direction, it doesn't matter.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Yep , he beat me to the link , but thats it . Just relax, you are going to give yourself a heart attack , LOL . Basically the outer gear has a dimple on the outer face and the inner gear really doesn't matter . Torque the oil pump plate bolts to 106 inch pounds and use a little blue loctite on them , the pump body bolts get tightened to 18 foot pounds .
Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Take a look at this thread and download the document. It explains exactly what your worried about. No big deal.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835863

The only oil pump gear that has specific direction is the outer gear. It has a small round dot on the side that faces the pump plate. You can also tell by looking at the outer edge on both sides of the outer gear. One side is chamfered and one side is a 90 degree corner. The chamfered edge goes down into the pump body.

The inside gear can face either direction, it doesn't matter.
Link (pdf) appears to be dead. BTW, the dot on my "LS2" pump isn't round, it's square. I'm going to go ahead and install the LS6 pump, I think. The "new" LS2 pump I received came in an open box and had a little oil on the pickup mount. At this point I have zero confidence that this pump is actually an LS2 pump. The ls6 pump appears to be a better pump anyway...higher pressure than the LS2.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Link (pdf) appears to be dead. BTW, the dot on my "LS2" pump isn't round, it's square. I'm going to go ahead and install the LS6 pump, I think. The "new" LS2 pump I received came in an open box and had a little oil on the pickup mount. At this point I have zero confidence that this pump is actually an LS2 pump. The ls6 pump appears to be a better pump anyway...higher pressure than the LS2.
Link worked perfect for me, it's a big file (~6MB) so it may take a short while to download depending on your internet connection speed.

What part number are you referring to as an LS2 pump?

The LS2 pump is the same as the LS6 pump, they both have the same pressure relief setting.

The dimple on your outer gear is square?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I'll put the LS2 pump back together the way you described. I'll have it for sale on the forum and ebay cheap, but it's not going on my car. Live and learn I guess. The LS2 chain seems to fit great...I'm happy about that. I spoke with a mechanic down at the dealer and he recommended against the LS2 pump on an LS1 application. He didn't really elaborate and I didn't pump him for info...just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Link worked perfect for me, it's a big file (~6MB) so it may take a short while to download depending on your internet connection speed.

The LS2 pump is the same as the LS6 pump, they both have the same pressure relief setting.

Yeah, the dipple is square and very small compared to the LS1 pump.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

LS2 part number: 17801830
LS6 part number: 12586665

Ahh maybe that is my problem. 17801830 is NOT an LS2 pump its a "special" LS high volume oil pump.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

I'll put the LS2 pump back together the way you described. I'll have it for sale on the forum and ebay cheap, but it's not going on my car. Live and learn I guess. The LS2 chain seems to fit great...I'm happy about that. I spoke with a mechanic down at the dealer and he recommended against the LS2 pump on an LS1 application. He didn't really elaborate and I didn't pump him for info...just thought I'd throw that out there.
Uh, yea I would not listen to anything this person has to say. GM part number 17801830 IS an LS6 pump. The only difference is the part number. The pictures of the oil pump in the .PDF above is the 17801830 oil pump. I bet the two pumps you have bare a striking resemblance. See the image below from the 2008 GM High Performance parts catalog.

Since this 'so called' LS2 oil pump is a total POS, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $20 plus shipping.

I have the 17801830 oil pump in my car with over 5,000 miles and no issues.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-26-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Uh, yea I would not listen to anything this person has to say. GM part number 17801830 IS an LS6 pump. The only difference is the part number. The pictures of the oil pump in the .PDF above is the 17801830 oil pump. I bet the two pumps you have bare a striking resemblance. See the image below from the 2008 GM High Performance parts catalog.

Since this 'so called' LS2 oil pump is a total POS, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $20 plus shipping.

I have the 17801830 oil pump in my car with over 5,000 miles and no issues.

I usually don't listen or trust mechanics (aka parts changers). Yeah they both have the same part number on the pump....hmmm why is the LS6 version more expensive?
$20? Then we agree, the part is a POS.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Same problem with the new pump. This pickup does not "snap" into place. I can "seat" it with minimal effort but when I let go it wants to push away. Does anybody remember this being the case? Taking the pump apart to see what it looks like on the inside is a bit of a waist of time as you can't possibly see the o r-ring from the inside.

When I tighten down the pickup tube it does seem to pull nicely into place, is this what you all do?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Yes, it sounds like you got it . I sent you a pm with my cell # if you want to talk directly .
Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

I usually don't listen or trust mechanics (aka parts changers). Yeah they both have the same part number on the pump....hmmm why is the LS6 version more expensive?
Have no idea. I thought 17801830 was a different pump when I bought it to only find out it's a regular LS6 oil pump.

$20? Then we agree, the part is a POS.
I don't think so, but from your comment "I'll have it for sale on the forum and ebay cheap, but it's not going on my car." I took this to mean you found it to be.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Same problem with the new pump. This pickup does not "snap" into place. I can "seat" it with minimal effort but when I let go it wants to push away. Does anybody remember this being the case? Taking the pump apart to see what it looks like on the inside is a bit of a waist of time as you can't possibly see the o r-ring from the inside.

When I tighten down the pickup tube it does seem to pull nicely into place, is this what you all do?
If it pushes away less than .250" than your okay. The tension is from the new o-ring that provides a tighter seal.

Here's a picture of how to properly align the pump body on the oil pump drive.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-26-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

If it pushes away less than .250" than your okay. The tension is from the new o-ring that provides a tighter seal.

Here's a picture of how to properly align the pump body on the oil pump drive.
I would say .250" sounds about right. Here's what I did. I installed the pump slightly turned in the clockwise direction. Pushed it all the way on (until it touches the block). Then I rotate it counter clockwise until its directly over the pick up tube (which I've been holding down the whole time). I let the pick up tube naturally slide up into position. I then press the pickup tube into the pump with minimal effort but when I let go it wants to push away from the pump. I then put in two bolts to hold the pump in place and screw in the pickup tube which seems to go in with no effort. I then replace all the bolts (with locktite).

How does this sound?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the old o ring the pick up tube "snaps" right into place. I hear that there may have been leaking issues with the smaller o ring but can I have confidence that with the blue o ring it will seal at all when it fits like this? I need help!!! This is holding up the whole show.
I used the blue one a couple years ago with no problems.

Bill

Quick Reply: blue oil pump o ring