Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS6 heads and cam able to pass smog?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Stock LS6 heads and cam able to pass smog?

If I bolted stock LS6 heads onto my LS1 and through in a LS6 cam, would I still be able to pass smog? Btw, I'm in Cali.
I'm just trying to do a real budget build and stay smog leagal (for now): LS6 heads, LS6 cam, Edelbrock shorties, SLP y-pipe, LS6 intake, ported TB, elec cutout.
Already have the K&N FIPK and catback. Later down the road, I'll go all out.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If I bolted stock LS6 heads onto my LS1 and through in a LS6 cam, would I still be able to pass smog? Btw, I'm in Cali.
I'm just trying to do a real budget build and stay smog leagal (for now): LS6 heads, LS6 cam, Edelbrock shorties, SLP y-pipe, LS6 intake, ported TB, elec cutout.
I don't think it would change how "clean" the car runs, just be sure to go through when the cats have had time to get good and hot and I have heard a tune and octane booster can help.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joe0121
I don't think it would change how "clean" the car runs, just be sure to go through when the cats have had time to get good and hot and I have heard a tune and octane booster can help.
I'll be getting a tune, and I always warm up the car before getting a smog test.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn im with you on the whole having to double check making sure sh*t is smog legal. Just went through alot of BS some ppl sayn **** is legal then isnt. Frustrating!!! Im out in Anaheim. Just curious where do/would you go for a tune around here? sorry to get off topic.. i just cant find one really
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by disavowed10
damn im with you on the whole having to double check making sure sh*t is smog legal. Just went through alot of BS some ppl sayn **** is legal then isnt. Frustrating!!! Im out in Anaheim. Just curious where do/would you go for a tune around here? sorry to get off topic.. i just cant find one really
Technically what I want to do isn't legal, I just want to know if it will pass the smog test. What the tester doesn't know, won't hurt him.

There are a few places to go for a tune...I have heard good things about both Ryne @ CMS and Rob @ Strictly.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS6 intake doesn't have a EGR port.. you will need to get the SLP adapter and make sure your shorties also has the EGR and AIR port connected.

Being that the LS6 engine (head and cam) are OEM for the Vette, it should pass the sniffer test as long as everything is working ok with sensors and PCM.

Many are passing with more cam than the LS6.. most will say a 224 will also pass, might consider that also.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bczee
The LS6 intake doesn't have a EGR port.. you will need to get the SLP adapter and make sure your shorties also has the EGR and AIR port connected.

Being that the LS6 engine (head and cam) are OEM for the Vette, it should pass the sniffer test as long as everything is working ok with sensors and PCM.

Many are passing with more cam than the LS6.. most will say a 224 will also pass, might consider that also.
That's concerning the visual, I only care about the emissions part right now. I can fab up the egr to look like its there and functional for the test.

224, really? Wow, if that's true, I'm going to get a TR224, that's what I wanted to begin with.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol put it this way... if a 2002 z06 will pass smog, so will you..
you can get by with a larger cam. look in your California section, people get by with HUGE sticks. Just find the right emissions place
Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
lol put it this way... if a 2002 z06 will pass smog, so will you..
you can get by with a larger cam. look in your California section, people get by with HUGE sticks. Just find the right emissions place
Yeah, but if I only want a 224, I would like to know if I can get away with spending 40 bucks ever 2 years vs. paying 200 bucks every 2 years .
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

There are other cams that are in between the LS6 cam and 224 cams. That would give you at least 20 more rwhp than an LS6 plus better torque down low. Such as the CheaTR cam that drive and idles like stock.

Also consider milling the heads and/or running thinner gaskets for more compression and less quench height, that will help with efficiency and emissions.

Jon
Old 07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bczee

Now I'm not sure how things are run in Cali, but I would think it's pretty much the same as other places, just stricter rules. Out here, most places don't do a visual other than look for cats under the car (and when I've watched my car go through sometimes they don't even check for them). I have a '00 T/A running an LS6 intake manifold without the SLP adapter and a TR224 cam - I had that EGR and AIR **** ripped out of it years ago. I just had the tuners delete and turn off all the codes for EGR and AIR so that the system doesn't pick them up. Cars '93 and newer with the OBDII plug don't get sniffed anymore (at least out here, maybe they still sniff in Cali...), they just plug the system into the PCM via OBDII and look for codes. No codes = all's good.

I've been told that if you want to get away with the TR224 cam and pass a sniff, use a 114 LSA instead of 112. Won't be as lopey, but still makes the power, and still noticeable that you're running a cam.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Also consider milling the heads and/or running thinner gaskets for more compression and less quench height, that will help with efficiency and emissions.
Thanks, I was already planning on having the 243's milled...when I get them that is.

Originally Posted by nddragon01
Now I'm not sure how things are run in Cali, but I would think it's pretty much the same as other places, just stricter rules. Out here, most places don't do a visual other than look for cats under the car (and when I've watched my car go through sometimes they don't even check for them). I have a '00 T/A running an LS6 intake manifold without the SLP adapter and a TR224 cam - I had that EGR and AIR **** ripped out of it years ago. I just had the tuners delete and turn off all the codes for EGR and AIR so that the system doesn't pick them up. Cars '93 and newer with the OBDII plug don't get sniffed anymore (at least out here, maybe they still sniff in Cali...), they just plug the system into the PCM via OBDII and look for codes. No codes = all's good.

I've been told that if you want to get away with the TR224 cam and pass a sniff, use a 114 LSA instead of 112. Won't be as lopey, but still makes the power, and still noticeable that you're running a cam.
Much more strict here in Cali. They still sniff the newer cars on the dyno, they check for cats, don't remember if the guy looked for my AIR and EGR though.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Much more strict here in Cali...
Damn, that sux dude. I had a feeling, but was hoping things weren't that bad out there for the F-body bros.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

They check for EGR and AIR hookups too. Ive heard of people getting away with EGR by getting a 2000+ sticker showing no EGR in the engine compartment, but IDK if that really works.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to cut you off, but do those shortie headers sound like stock or there a bit louder?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The are much more stricter here in California. Depending on the smog shop and who is doing the check. They sometime will just gloss over the visual (but i would not count on that happening). They are now even checking the tank and EVAP/Canister system for leaks now, as of this year.

Just ask your friends as to where they get there smog checked.

If you get a good tuner, using the TR224 with a 114LSA..you should pass. But like the other say.. there are many mild to mid cam that if tuned, will pass.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

We don't have smog inspections here in New Orleans,Buy I just want a sleeper Don't want anybody to see it comming if you know what I mean.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't think many people would notice that you've put on an LS6 intake over an LS1 intake on the 98-00 F-bodies, nor ripped out the EGR and ****.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nddragon01
I don't think many people would notice that you've put on an LS6 intake over an LS1 intake on the 98-00 F-bodies, nor ripped out the EGR and ****.
That's what I'm hoping, but if anything, I think I can find a way to fab up the egr tube to make it appear to be functional.

I think I have my overall answer guys, thanks.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

My response was more for Blk WS6, since he was talking about keeping his smog equipment to make his car a "sleeper". I don't think anyone would even notice it's gone.