Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado Camshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Colorado Camshaft?

My plans are to put a new cam in and get my 241 heads ported this fall. my question is what cam is going to make good power at my altitude (denver area)? the cam i have in now I have no idea what the specs are but it really doesnt help much in CO but took the car to MN to visit family and really wakes up after 3500rpms finally felt like it sounds. I dont need to pass emissions its not a DD and will be using nitrous.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am at ~ 5100' and run a TR224-112 with CNC heads. At this elevation, it doesn't feel a whole lot quicker here than it did on stock cam/heads when I test drove it in Oregon when I bought it. The elevatuin there was ~ 750'. I got it home and couldn'r believe the loss. Everyone will tell you turbo/supercharger. $6500 is tough to handle.
Find the best porter in your area, bring him your cam and heads and match them the best possible.
I would call Thunder Racing and ask them to custom grind a cam for your situation. You won't put up #s like sea level cars but it will still be alot quicker for you. It is well worth it. Just do your research. Look for a deal on a Fast intake/tb, it should help.
Thunder can help you. I love my setup and I'm just completing my 125 shot wet kit. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

I thought when it came to elevation, it was all about the tune. Thats why they say to tune your car around your local area. I dont know, someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Ya I know I should just call TR or another but would like some opinions and personal experience before I get sold. Like what to look for LSA Dur and lift?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fastvet
I thought when it came to elevation, it was all about the tune. Thats why they say to tune your car around your local area. I dont know, someone correct me if im wrong.
At 5000~5800'' elevation a NA combo will loose 20~25% power no matter what. Forced Induction looses about half, as long as you can maintain boost. If the tune is off you will be down more.

Originally Posted by Toes
Ya I know I should just call TR or another but would like some opinions and personal experience before I get sold. Like what to look for LSA Dur and lift?
You want a head with a small runner, and good flow. Shorter duration high lift cams seem to work best.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastvet
Wow....
Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, Guess a custom cam is really the only way to nothing off the shelf looks good. Hey stock48 where do you recommend getting a tune my last tune from my research was pretty shaddy at best from what I THOUGHT was a reputable place they used ls1edit and did MAF tuning.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey stock48 where do you recommend getting a tune my last tune from my research was pretty shaddy at best from what I THOUGHT was a reputable place they used ls1edit and did MAF tuning.
I don't get it. What's wrong with this? There are a few shops in Denver that do tuning. PM if you want my guys number.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys, Guess a custom cam is really the only way to nothing off the shelf looks good. Hey stock48 where do you recommend getting a tune my last tune from my research was pretty shaddy at best from what I THOUGHT was a reputable place they used ls1edit and did MAF tuning.
I do all my own tuning with HP tuners. There is a good shop I know of down hear. There is nothing wrong with a MAF tune as long as it's right. People always tell me how bad the MAF is, but Im still running a MAF tune on my 10 sec Z71.