Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear of motor pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear of motor pics?

I just got done pulling my motor... Out the top and with the hood... Just had to add that in there... Anyways my new motor has two holes in the back of it that are open and you could look straight down the motor... I'm not to sure if those are the one's that have to be plugged or open... I don't really want to pull the clutch and all that stuff off of the back of the old motor cause i want to keep it together.... So someone help me out with some pics or advise... I do have a pic of the motor coming out the top with the heads, valve covers, and pulley still on, to share but this dumb iphone gets on my last nerve....
Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

out the top and with the hood on? how long did that process take you?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused by your post but the only two holes that I can think of that are in the rear of the motor that you can look down into are the holes for the oil pressure sender and the camshaft position sensor.... This may not be what you're talking about at all, but like I said, I'm a little confused by the question that your asking.

Anyways, this is a picture that I have of when I built my motor, hope it helps...

Old 07-27-2008, 04:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

are the two holes above the cam open or close? Me and you have similar set ups how much horse power did yours put down?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

out the top with the hood on took me 6 hrs total and it was on the ground
Old 07-27-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Emoney97ss
are the two holes above the cam open or close? Me and you have similar set ups how much horse power did yours put down?
Use my picture, load it into paint and circle the two holes you're talking about. If you're talking about the cam and oil pressure sender then no, they shouldn't be open, unless the block is stripped down.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

And it's only been up and running for a few days, no dyno numbers yet. But I can tell you it pulls like crazy.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you talking about where that dumbell piece goes? It goes in the pass side just right of the crank. The two holes next/above the cam are open
Old 07-27-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
you talking about where that dumbell piece goes? It goes in the pass side just right of the crank. The two holes next/above the cam are open
The dumbell piece goes in to the left of the crank, not the right. On the drivers side, not the passenger. It is essential for oil pressure as it routes the flow down through the filter and then up to the lifter galley's and then down to the mains.

Also, if you are referring to the two holes to the above left and right of the cam, that run horizontal through the block then yes, those are meant to be left open, but the oil pressure sender and cam position are not.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
The dumbell piece goes in to the left of the crank, not the right. On the drivers side, not the passenger. It is essential for oil pressure as it routes the flow down through the filter and then up to the lifter galley's and then down to the mains.

Also, if you are referring to the two holes to the above left and right of the cam, that run horizontal through the block then yes, those are meant to be left open, but the oil pressure sender and cam position are not.
I coulda sworn i pulled it and put it in to the right. Let me look at my pics after work. I'll look it up in my books to be sure but Redbird makes sense for the filter
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

I coulda sworn i pulled it and put it in to the right. Let me look at my pics after work. I'll look it up in my books to be sure but Redbird makes sense for the filter
Lol the only reason that I know this is because I failed to install mine during my motor build (No idea it was even there) and had to pull the entire thing out to reinstall it... PITA... Live and learn.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Use my picture, load it into paint and circle the two holes you're talking about. If you're talking about the cam and oil pressure sender then no, they shouldn't be open, unless the block is stripped down.
yeah those are the two holes i'm talking about... now i have the two holes behind the timing chain that are open... they have threads in them but i don't remember if bolts go in them or just do they just stay like that i'll upload some pics in a few and show you...
Old 07-27-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Emoney97ss
yeah those are the two holes i'm talking about... now i have the two holes behind the timing chain that are open... they have threads in them but i don't remember if bolts go in them or just do they just stay like that i'll upload some pics in a few and show you...
Yeah, show me some pics and I'll help ya out.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok here's the ones of the front...

I circled the holes with the black in the first pic...
Here are the ones in the back...

Old 07-27-2008, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

The holes in the rear of the block stay open.....they are machined oil passages (oil transfer galley) on 97-99 Gen 3 block.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks you don't know about the two in the front?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

the two in the front are for a timing chain dampener that GM initially put into the design. But then the big wigs decided it was too pricy and not needed for a production engine. You can actually order the part from GM though if you want to put it in there. And since your holes are already threaded it's a very simple bolt on. Most unlucky engines don't have the holes threaded (don't even think they're drilled)!! So it's definately something you may want to get since it's so easy.

Hey man I apologize for giving out wrong information, Redbird was correct with the dumbell. I found a picture of my old block in the rear. All I did was pull the cover off. It is upside down though so keep that in your mind. The dumbell is on the driver's side but there is only one hole it'll fit into so you can't mess it up. But those two top holes are in fact left open by the rearside of the cam.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry about either one. The holes in the rear are machined oil galley's and the ones in the front are for a dampener that GM originally designed in but never used.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS1875
The holes in the rear of the block stay open.....they are machined oil passages (oil transfer galley) on 97-99 Gen 3 block.
the two in the front are for a timing chain dampener that GM initially put into the design. But then the big wigs decided it was too pricy and not needed for a production engine. You can actually order the part from GM though if you want to put it in there. And since your holes are already threaded it's a very simple bolt on. Most unlucky engines don't have the holes threaded (don't even think they're drilled)!! So it's definately something you may want to get since it's so easy.

Hey man I apologize for giving out wrong information, Redbird was correct with the dumbell. I found a picture of my old block in the rear. All I did was pull the cover off. It is upside down though so keep that in your mind. The dumbell is on the driver's side but there is only one hole it'll fit into so you can't mess it up. But those two top holes are in fact left open by the rearside of the cam.

These two guys hit it on the head man! Good luck with your build!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks everyone for the good info. I can't wait to get this thing running cause this guy with a 05 gt with a 150 shot thinks fully built ls1s run 12.50's. So I'm going to let him know don't mess with one!!! Haha...