Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old school dog learning new tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school dog learning new tricks.

Here's another guy that has "just" started learning.
OK guys. I snuck over here from the hybrid section. I've been gazing through the mods for the LS1 with a lot of interest. I've read and I've read....and read. I can't seem to find the answer. I guess I'm a little more of an old school guy so I feel I have much to re-learn. You know....grew up with big blocks, solid lift cams, and carbs. And yep....I'm bald.

I'm building my project as a daily driver...but keep in mind that I love the super rough choppy idle. Even like surge at idle. Dont mind it taking a stall now and then. Distance to work....7 miles. Occasional weekend trip abroad. Drop out came from a 01 WS6. I hope to keep the 241's. Have to build my own headers. Bought the 1 3/4 into 3.5 kit with lots of extra bends. No emission worries. No cat. Most likely single chamber Flowmasters. On mods. Making my own sort of ram air intake under radiator splash pan. Probably ditch the composite intake for something shiney (Polished Weind, Fast intake (polish myself)?).4L60E. 28" tires. 3.45 C4 Dana 44 IRS. New to the whole tuning thing...in fact...fairly new to fuel injection. Got a taste of it with my Greddy turbo charged RX8. Yes...ricer. But I'm back with the big boys again. I hate my car....tuning nightmare! Plan on taking one of the on-line software/tuner coarses I've seen listed somewhere in one of these threads. So, I will learn to tune this motor. Have to.

Over all...main goal is for the LS1 to stand out in all its glory (no engine skirts). Polishing everything. And have the pop of valve over lap. 400-500 HP?

With all of this said....I like the T-Rex but I'm concerned about the 4000 stall for street use. I would assume it would be constantly stalled anything below 4000 grand. There goes the gas mileage. LOL's. Just kidding not really all that worried about that. Just worried about overworking the transmission.

Any thoughts? Good or bad. I take criticism well.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

trex would be great for a nice choppy idle. I have videos of my cam in my sig to give you an idea of what a same LSA just advaced 4 degrees with less duration but more lift would sound like. I am running a carb on my ls1. I dont think that a 4000 stall will be that bad since it's a lock up converter. With the trex and supporting mods you should see 400rwhp on the stock 241s. Well i guess more like 380-390 through an auto and irs. You could always go with an efi victor jr and a throttle body for something shiny.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
trex would be great for a nice choppy idle. I have videos of my cam in my sig to give you an idea of what a same LSA just advaced 4 degrees with less duration but more lift would sound like. I am running a carb on my ls1. I dont think that a 4000 stall will be that bad since it's a lock up converter. With the trex and supporting mods you should see 400rwhp on the stock 241s. Well i guess more like 380-390 through an auto and irs. You could always go with an efi victor jr and a throttle body for something shiny.
Like that car! Thanks! I've really decided I need to learn about tuning. Its the way of the world today. I was going to go with the Edelbrock/Carb but decided to stick with the fuel injection. I think I may go with something with a little less duration and tighter LSA to get my stall speed down a little but maintain the lope. Someone in the hybrid section made a note that I forgot. My truck should weigh a few hundred pounds less than an F-body so my stall speed will drop. Its been so long since I've done these this that I forgot some of the bare essentials. Have any idea how much a 01ish F-body weighs? I'll do a wiki search. Thanks so much.

Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd switch to stage 2.5 ls6 heads, or stage 2.5 5.3 heads. you will be way deeper into the 400 hp mark with these. And don't worry about remaking the headers because i'm almost positive that the ls6 heads are the same dimensions and the ls1 head. just my opinion.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

you would prolly be good with a 3600 stall then. and im right there on the tuning too. my HP tuner is on its way
Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry about the stall it will still pull fine under the rated speed. It just hits at max STR at whatever it's rated at. Just get a good one (search). A FAST is a composite intake so you can't polish it but I have seen some painted that look sharp. Agree on the heads if you really want to make serious power. COOL project man. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mglooper
you would prolly be good with a 3600 stall then. and im right there on the tuning too. my HP tuner is on its way
I was leaning toward LS1 Edit since I plan to run an onboard computer with with windows. I ran this set up with my RX8 and loved the computer/dvd touch screen. Just have to get out of the habit of watching video's while driving. Curbs hurt! The thing worked great as long as you could keep it cool....not good in the trunk during summer....takes quite a while to get it to cool down. http://www.carcpu.com/

Let me know how you like the HP tuner if you dont care. I like to keep my options open. My idea of a budget is already shot to crap. LOL's.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=kozak;9840729]I'd switch to stage 2.5 ls6 heads, or stage 2.5 5.3 heads. you will be way deeper into the 400 hp mark with these. And don't worry about remaking the headers because i'm almost positive that the ls6 heads are the same dimensions and the ls1 head. just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I may go with different heads later. For now I hope to be happy with the 241's. If anything...may mill the 241's a little. Still mulling over possibilities with what I have. If I decide to go with heads....I'll tip the bank account dry and go the whole nine yard....stroked and so on. Just want to merge into learning tuning progressively for now. Thanks.

Dave

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Don't worry about the stall it will still pull fine under the rated speed. It just hits at max STR at whatever it's rated at. Just get a good one (search). A FAST is a composite intake so you can't polish it but I have seen some painted that look sharp. Agree on the heads if you really want to make serious power. COOL project man. Keep us posted on your progress!
Sorry, the myriad of websites I've visited over the last couple months must have me brain turned to mush. I couldve sworn it looked like cast aluminum. I'll check again. I must be thinking about a different intake. Anyway...I'd like to go with an aluminum intake so I can polish it up. The engine will show so I feel I have to polish it. Thats why I chose the LS. Just give me aluminum and a polisher and I'll be in heaven. Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to keep you all up to date.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Ha. By the way, your messing up my ticker with that avatar.

Dave