Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need my ls1 built or a new block

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need my ls1 built or a new block

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbie here! Please help! Alright guys my 99 ta needs a rebuild trying too decide what too do. Should i rebuild my engine or get a new block with the internals? Im looking too try too get close too 500-600 at the flywheel? What size should or need too go. Im sorta on a tight budget but i want stuff thats not going too break, prefer forged internals. What size do i have too go too get these numbers? I have heard iron block is the way too go but i have my ls1 motor so i dont know. Im going too put a fast intake-throttle body, msd coils-wires, headers on the motor so i know thats alittle horsepower. May put a super or procharger on the motor down the road. Where is the best place too get a motor and kit if needed and on the cheaper route but good. Please let me know what i need too do and what i should do. I live in Celina, Ohio 45822 if that helps at all. Thanks for helping, ramair1999@hotmail.com
Old 08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact bob at exotic performance plus......link is in my sig
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

well your stock crank and block will be good for 1000 horsepower but you should upgrade your pistons and rods. Also you will not need the msd coils because they will only hold you back a tiny bit at that power level. Nitrous seems to be your best route with forged rods pistons. Do alot of reading on here use the search button that should help a ton.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:12 PM
9 Second Club

I agree on not getting the coils, good product maybe, but WAY expensive, and i can nearly bet you won't notice any difference at that power level...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Teching In

So your saying all i really need too do is get pistons and rods? Except intake stuff and headers? If that is the case what do you think my horsepower will be at the flywheel and at the wheels without NOS? Do i need too get heads and a cam too? What is the price i will be looking at too do these things? What kind of tranny will i need too put behind these things im sure the stock one wont hold up? let me know thanks for your help so far.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

heres the same I put in the other thread

Why do you need a rebuild? It you didnt trash your current block a 383 would be the cheapest way out for you. Have a local shop do the machine work and build it for you.
If you did something to the engine like spun a main bearing then its a different story.

I offer 408's with Callies crank and rods and Wiseco pistons, ARP, ACL race bearings for $4374 or for $250 less with a Scat crank and Eagle rods. It will accept your ls1 covers. If your looking at forced induction the iron block is more durable.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Actually the motor is still running i dont know if the rings are bad or what but it is burning around a quart of oil every 600 miles. What kind of horsepower would i be looking at at the flywheel and the rear wheels on a 383 setup? I want motor horsepower not nos horsepower? If i go with the 383 setup on my ls1 block would i need too do heads and a cam and if so what kind and how much horsepower would it gain me? Let me know what you guys think i should do like i said before im new at this and dont know much about building a engine. Let me know thanks, ramair1999@hotmail.com
Old 08-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the power is made in the heads and cam. There can be a differencee in short-blocks yeilding about 15hp difference in a poorly prepped block vs one done properly but your head and cam selection is the crucial step in the power expectations.

IN a radical setup Tony Mamo put down 543 or 548 with excellent tq numbers as well but that was an all out setup. Some guys put down 460hp with 450tq. SO the top end you put on it will make the difference. AFR's, TFS, ET, All Pro, Dart a decent cnc'ed LS6 head all if matched properly with a cam will produce some nice results.
You need to set a budget first and then look at things.
How much do you want to spend?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking you could get a lq9 iron block, forged pistons & rods = 2000 dls
Ported heads and cam = 2000 dls + rings, bolts, bearings and 150 dls per hour from the engine building shop.

This would give you 370 ci and you could use the 900 you saved from forged crank and get nitrous, reuse everything else from your engine.

BUT after looking at the price from 99blancoSS, just get an engine from him. It would be cheaper than building one yourself, it will save you time and worries, all the parts which he offers look amazing besides he's got more engine building experience. I dont know but he even may be able to get the heads ported for a few more dollars prior to installation and save you some work.

Good luck anyways pal
Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Feel free to give us a call. We could rebuild your engine for you and get you those power numbers. We have an in house machine shop so we have very tight control over the build process. Our quality is second to none.

Max

Search this Thread