Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out this new style Intake manafold!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

418ci with 12:1 and solid roller looking for gains in the 7000 to 7500 area ..what do ya think. Already shifting above 7000
Old 12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

jl ws-6 - do these guidelines apply similarly to FI engines?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mterveen
jl ws-6 - do these guidelines apply similarly to FI engines?

NO. Total different story there.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So how would it work on a FI motor ?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea. More flow is never a bad thing, and the fastest lsx powered car (paul major's vette) is running a manafold with a very large plenum and a relativly short runner.... that being what it is I think it would work, but I know when you are pressurizing the intake like FI does, you can get away with intakes and whatnot that are not as great, hell guys go so much farther with an ls6 intake then you ever could with an n/a or nitrous application it's not even funny.

Will the intake help an FI car, I'm sure it will... just don't know how much or where in the powerband.

Anubis I think you're a prime candidate for this intake, you'd probably see a really good gain from 6000 rpm up, might lose something down low, but that's traction control for the street
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are closing the damn track for 2 weeks after Saturday. I probably wont get mine on until Monday or Tuesday. Gonna have to wait a couple weeks for some track times. We were gonna put this one on the engine dyno to do a head to head comparison but I found out that my FAST intake is completely melted on the inside of #8 runner so I need it on the car now. This is my daily driver so I cant have it down for too long. The one with the direct port wont be here for a couple of weeks due to the holidays. Not sure if the timing will work out for the engine dyno on that one but we hope tol have back to back chassis dyno info on the same vehicle.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'm gonna be honest, I have no idea. More flow is never a bad thing, and the fastest lsx powered car (paul major's vette) is running a manafold with a very large plenum and a relativly short runner.... that being what it is I think it would work, but I know when you are pressurizing the intake like FI does, you can get away with intakes and whatnot that are not as great, hell guys go so much farther with an ls6 intake then you ever could with an n/a or nitrous application it's not even funny.

Will the intake help an FI car, I'm sure it will... just don't know how much or where in the powerband.

Anubis I think you're a prime candidate for this intake, you'd probably see a really good gain from 6000 rpm up, might lose something down low, but that's traction control for the street
I have to agree with everything here.

On an FI setup, it could probably hurt you as increasing the volume of the plenum and runners may cause a problem with pressure. Mighty Mouse just went 8.7x if memory serves with a stock ported TB and LS6 intake. So it's definetly a different ballgame.

It better produce gains over 7K on an NA/N2O setup. FAST is usually flat after 6500.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I have to agree with everything here.

On an FI setup, it could probably hurt you as increasing the volume of the plenum and runners may cause a problem with pressure. Mighty Mouse just went 8.7x if memory serves with a stock ported TB and LS6 intake. So it's definetly a different ballgame.

It better produce gains over 7K on an NA/N2O setup. FAST is usually flat after 6500.
My setup currently pulls high up until 6900rpm and then goes flat 7000+ and even starts to fall off by 7500rpm.

I would like to see it pull and gain as high as it wants! lol.

JL ws-6, I assume you were talking about the short runner variety for me.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Race your car!

Wanna see flat? Look in my picture galleries, there's a dyno sheet in there of my car as it site right now.

That's a flat power curve, that's dying to see some more air.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Wanna see flat? Look in my picture galleries, there's a dyno sheet in there of my car as it site right now.

That's a flat power curve, that's dying to see some more air.
If it werent for the torque falling off, I would swear that was a Cobra graph. What cam are you using?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Race your car!

eastside nitrous/stroker grind
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

I've read most of this post and you guys have lost me... Help me understand the basics behind let's say build objectives for Torque under 6K rpm, and over 6K if racing/HP is your goal, as it relates to intake design. I've always thought long runners like in a Tunnel Ram and the Victor Carb. intakes were always for high rpm applications, and short runners like an LT1 manifold were better for Torque? This thread seems to be flipping that?

My LSX 440 (4.125/4.125, L92 Heads and TSP Torquer Cam) will be ready next month and I'm looking for a good intake match. Objective is for the motor to be mostly done by 6K. I really like the looks of this intake and most Sheet Metal variety intakes, but always read how they're for high RPM, boosted applications only. Current plan is a FAST 90/90, but would like to hear how this intake would work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CharlieC
I've read most of this post and you guys have lost me... Help me understand the basics behind let's say build objectives for Torque under 6K rpm, and over 6K if racing/HP is your goal, as it relates to intake design. I've always thought long runners like in a Tunnel Ram and the Victor Carb. intakes were always for high rpm applications, and short runners like an LT1 manifold were better for Torque? This thread seems to be flipping that?

My LSX 440 (4.125/4.125, L92 Heads and TSP Torquer Cam) will be ready next month and I'm looking for a good intake match. Objective is for the motor to be mostly done by 6K. I really like the looks of this intake and most Sheet Metal variety intakes, but always read how they're for high RPM, boosted applications only. Current plan is a FAST 90/90, but would like to hear how this intake would work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Charlie
Yeah, you definetly have it backwards. If your building a motor that will peak at or before 6,000, then your much better-off with a FAST.
unless ofcourse your spraying.
Vinny
Old 12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

So would the forthcoming long runner version discussed here be a potential for me vs the 90/90? I really like the way this manifold looks, along with the price being pretty righteous. I might be being a bit conservative on the rpm objectives I stated, but I am definitely more interested in torque vs a car to win at the track.

Charlie
Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Restricted User

So would the forthcoming long runner version discussed here be a potential for me vs the 90/90? I really like the way this manifold looks, along with the price being pretty righteous. I might be being a bit conservative on the rpm objectives I stated, but I am definitely more interested in torque vs a car to win at the track.

Charlie
Why so much focus on torque? Regardless of which way you go, unless your 440 ci motor is going in a 5 thousand pound vehicle or a speedboat, the torque will not be usable on the street anyway.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

It's going in a 3600 lb car that will never see the track or be in a race over 90 mph, so I'm not interested in how fast I can go @ 7000 rpm. Torque gets you going, HP gets you there. I'm focused on the getting going, which is why it's a 4.125 stroke, non-nitrous, NA motor. Since when is torque not usable on the street?

Charlie
Old 12-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Restricted User

It's going in a 3600 lb car that will never see the track or be in a race over 90 mph, so I'm not interested in how fast I can go @ 7000 rpm. Torque gets you going, HP gets you there. I'm focused on the getting going, which is why it's a 4.125 stroke, non-nitrous, NA motor. Since when is torque not usable on the street?

Charlie
What I am getting at is that with that motor, you will have over 450 ft/lbs of torque regardless of which intake you put on it. In a 3600 lb car on a regular radial tire, you cant put that much torque to the ground on the street anyway. In other words, when you go WOT, you're just gonna roast the tires off. Getting that much torque down on the street will require lots of suspension work, big drag radial tire, and VHT on the surface. If the car is an M6 it will be even harder. Therefore IMO I wouldn't be worried about losing a few ft/lbs down low.

Also, if you are building a 440 that you aren't gonna race, then it's pretty much for show and this intake just looks better.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

ok what about me...i think my cam has been spec'd for the short-runner version (that i have yet to order), but i was wondering if the long-runner would be the right one for me? motor is a 4.185x4.125 ~11:1 hydraulic roller pump gas TFS-245 headed LSX motor. cam specs are "in the mail" still...but i'd like to spin the motor up around 7K-7500 so i can keep my 4.11's in the rear (M6 car w/9"). long runner will produce more torque down low, right? so i should stick with the short-runner since i have sheer cubic inches on my side for the low-end power. the car is a street/strip car, mostly show-n-go. no serious racing, not a daily driver...etc...
Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
ok what about me...i think my cam has been spec'd for the short-runner version (that i have yet to order), but i was wondering if the long-runner would be the right one for me? motor is a 4.185x4.125 ~11:1 hydraulic roller pump gas TFS-245 headed LSX motor. cam specs are "in the mail" still...but i'd like to spin the motor up around 7K-7500 so i can keep my 4.11's in the rear (M6 car w/9"). long runner will produce more torque down low, right? so i should stick with the short-runner since i have sheer cubic inches on my side for the low-end power. the car is a street/strip car, mostly show-n-go. no serious racing, not a daily driver...etc...
Damn, you guys must have some mad money laying around to build these badass LSX setups just to cruise around in. If I build an LSX, it's gonna be to bomb that thing with a 600 shot and go deep 8's.

Also, I can tell you that the combo that I have been working on with the solid roller and 245 TFS heads makes very little vacuum. If throttle response is what you are after, make sure you get a smallish cam or you will have tuning nightmares.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Getting that much torque down on the street will require lots of suspension work...
The car also has an ART 4-Link Air Bar setup in the rear with a 3:89 9-inch Trac-Lok or whatever the hell Ford calls it... This is the strongest motor I've ever had, so maybe I am worrying about things I shouldn't.

I chased the quarter mile clock with my Turbo Regal, lots of fun, but it was a never-ending pursuit of rub money here, rub money there, go a little faster. It's now more rewarding to scare the wife and entertain the kids in between stoplights. :-)

So... what version should I get, current version or wait for the longer runners?

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 12-20-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Check out this new style Intake manafold!