Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400+ci stroker ls2 (and forged internals questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400+ci stroker ls2 (and forged internals questions)

im researching a project build im planing for winter
in short LS block in a thirdgen camaro daily driver

goals
401hp to the wheels( i know i dont need big CI but i want room for improvement)
good streetabelity
small shot for fun >50hp
super charger a year or so after its done (at this point itll b a weekend car)

i like the idea of having a big CI small block and on texas speed and performance web site i saw there stroker rotating assemblies that would brig displacment passed 400CI all the forged kits iv found have forged steel crank and rods with forged aluminum pistons. i know u need "forged internals" to do any kind of boost/spray i just though it ment forged steal. can someone clairfy

any one running something like this? any one spraying it?
any help would b great guys i did try searching this but every thred that comes up sugest boreing and or resleaving. i wanted to keep cylender wall as thick as posibel because it will b driven every day in NY (temp ranges from about 10*-95*f) so it needs to b abel to take some abuse
THANX EVERY ONE

Last edited by fcukit33; 06-10-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add ( i know i dont need big CI but i want room for improvement)
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Launching!

you wont need forged internals for a small shot like that, and you can make plenty of power on the ls1 shortblock, especially if you are going to put a blower on
Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
you wont need forged internals for a small shot like that, and you can make plenty of power on the ls1 shortblock, especially if you are going to put a blower on
iv been pricing stuff out and a pull out from a gto (engien trans sensors controlers+pedel) goes for 6 and the same for an ls1 goes for 5 i figure itd be cheeper buying the pull out having the tranny beefed up and the engien rebuilt then buy it all new

the LS1 thirdgen swaps been done so many times im going for diferent origanly i was thinking ls3 till i thought this up. i figure itll b a littel more uncomon then a ls1 swap and itll take the same amount of work to ge it in the car
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

you will need forged internals for the blower.

401whp should be be easy...most 402ci make close to or over 500whp.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just buy a forged LS2 with a stock crank from TSP or another vendor. The crank can handle a ton of power. Then put stock LS3 heads and intake on it with a nice little cam and you would be set. A little over 400rwhp and a great foundation for what your wanting to do. Just don't go crazy with the compression.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hamrdown
I would just buy a forged LS2 with a stock crank from TSP or another vendor. The crank can handle a ton of power. Then put stock LS3 heads and intake on it with a nice little cam and you would be set. A little over 400rwhp and a great foundation for what your wanting to do. Just don't go crazy with the compression.
compresion is one thing i cant understand..i know u need lower comperesion to run boost but i cant figure out how its found..as much as i read about it it just makes my head spin

ill bring it back up anyone running a ls2 stroker this big with any luck?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm back from vacation, and I actually just sent you a PM regarding your questions. With respect to forged internals, that means that the crankshaft and connecting rods are forged out of steel and the pistons out of aluminum. You get into different types of forgings, but that will complicate the discussion. For a small shot of N2O, all of the "standard" forged parts will easily handle the power. As I said in your PM, 401 RWHP is a walk in the park with a 400+ cid engine, even through an auto.

With respect to compression ratio, this is determined by a few things: cylinder head volume, size of bore and stroke, bore size and thickness of cylinder head gaskets, etc. You're looking at the total volume in the cylinder. A higher CR will work great for added power, but if you're looking for a forced induction setup you'll certainly want to lower the CR to keep the setup pump-gas-friendly. To a point, a lower CR will allow you to run more boost on pump gas before running into detonation issues. This is the basic, oversimplified version, but it gives you an idea.

Feel free to PM me back when you get a chance, and I'll be glad to make some recommendations for you!

Thanks!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Launching!

its still an ls swap in a third gen, its going to be so much more uncommon because its a stroker? if you look on ebay for a l98 crate engine, it is a ls2 block with l92 heads and the car intake. 4500. thats as good of a deal as you will find. and an l98 was whats originally in these cars, just not this l98

Quick Reply: 400+ci stroker ls2 (and forged internals questions)