Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

people who use a breather for an oil cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people who use a breather for an oil cap

I run a 3" wide 2" tall K&N and im blowing oil OUT of that filter..unreal

this is with a catch can vented from the valley as well. Is there any other set ups that are good for a vacuum pump other than GZ? 800$ is a bit rough
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a METCO breather.....Speed Inc and Thunder \Racing carry them......The best if your going to use it as a oil neck cap...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't recommend breathers on the oil fill.Oil drips out and ignites on the headers.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a speedinc one and no oil out it yet
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your getting oil blown by through the breather, your getting too much pressure inside the engine.. Piston ring blow by.(?).. and you have to evaculate the pressure.. a PCV system with a Oil Catch Can or a Vacuum pump with a catch can will be needed.

Just adding a breather to a engine is not always the correct thing to do.. you really have to build the system around a breather. You need to using a vacuum source (intake vacuum or a pump) and some means of filtering out the oil from the pressure/vapors (PCV valve or a catch can).

Adding a breather may look cool... but it may not be the best thing to do if incorrectly done. There is some advantage to using a close system with a good vacuum source.. it can benefit the sealing of the rings.. many pro race engine setups use evaculation system (pump, catch can, breather, etc), but as a completely designed system.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I ran one of these things for a few years and never had a single issue with oil or smoke or any of the negatives. Me thinks your engine is fooked
Old 05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Not necessarily an engine problem. I had your exact issue and it was because the PCV system wasn't correct. You don't really NEED a breather on the cap unless you're turbo'd or blown.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Breather

I have a K N breather on the Left valve cover. Then on the Oil cap ( R valve cover ), I drilled a 3.8 hole. Then I glued a 3.8 piece of fuel line in there with a flare on the bottom. Then I attached a 3/8" hose from there to a catch can. ( Old A/C Accumulator under the front bumper ). The inlet on the catch can is close to the bottom. Then the Exit ( PCV Inlet ) is close to the top. That connects to my TB and so far NO oil has entered the TB that I can see. I'll know for sure when I do a cam change and a stage 2 port on the LS7 heads.

I was using a small catch can but it was worthless !

Some guys say run No PCV, but in order to keep condensation down, you need some sort of ventilation in the crankcase. If not, Condensation will build up .

Quick Reply: people who use a breather for an oil cap