Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

102mm PTM Throttle Body issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 102mm PTM Throttle Body issue

Okay so I have had this throttle body on my car for not even a month. Brand new in the factory sealed box. Now I have started to experience issues of it getting caught up. The first thing I checked was to see if maybe the blade was loose and that wasn't the case. Then I went to check to see if maybe there was some carbon build up. Nothing there. After that I replaced the return spring and that didn't work.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this issue and what was done to fix the problem? Or is this one of those cases that I will need to get in contact with the place I purchased it from? Or do I need to get rid of it and purchase a different brand throttle body?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Ever think about going carburated

I do lol

Send it back
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vette0009

I do lol

Send it back
lol I think that is what I'm gonna do. Unless someone from TSP can chime in on this or any other vendor who sells PTM throttle body's. Sad part of all this is that I have been trying to break in my motor and this issue is really holding me back from break in time. At this point I have barely put 100 miles on the new motor and it makes me nervous to drive the car in fear that its gonna get hung up and cause the rpm's to sky rocket. It did this one time and I turned the car off asap. I got out of the car and had to manually put the throttle body in place.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vette0009

I do lol

Send it back
Carb =

The simple answer is to call TSP instead of posting about it. I'm sure the manufacturer and sponsor on here can help you a lot more than asking random people.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Launching!

I have a FAST 90mm that used to hang up. I disassembled it and noticed that the shaft was bent. It looks like someone pushed too hard on the screws when they were installing the tb blade and bent the shaft. It was only noticeable when I laid the shaft on a flat surface. When you have it apart, you can get another wind on the spring to see if that helps, also. I've run secondary springs as a last resort. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
I have a FAST 90mm that used to hang up. I disassembled it and noticed that the shaft was bent. It looks like someone pushed too hard on the screws when they were installing the tb blade and bent the shaft. It was only noticeable when I laid the shaft on a flat surface. When you have it apart, you can get another wind on the spring to see if that helps, also. I've run secondary springs as a last resort. Good luck.
+1 my old 90 use to hang up sometimes.... i think it was a common problem on the first FAST 90mm TB's. I kept my return spring lubed up with lithium grease and it was fine. Not really an ideal fix but it work for me. My 102 i havn't had one issue out of... knock on wood..... but yeah id give TSP a call and see what they can do.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 92 did this when it first went on. I sprayed the shaft where it goes into the TB a couple times and now it has quit sticking....
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely call us and we'll get it straightened out!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

The OP didn't bash the product, simply posted a problem to see if its common, and if its easily fixable. Nothing wrong with this post what-so-ever.

Secondly, what kind of gains do people see when going to larger/ported throttle bodies? The prices has always held me back. But I'm running out of ways to get more power...

Anyone do back to back tests?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by briancb1
The OP didn't bash the product, simply posted a problem to see if its common, and if its easily fixable. Nothing wrong with this post what-so-ever.

Secondly, what kind of gains do people see when going to larger/ported throttle bodies? The prices has always held me back. But I'm running out of ways to get more power...

Anyone do back to back tests?
No one said he was bashing on the product............

The gains or larger a throttle body will depend on your other mods of course.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

id only do a 102 if i had 400 plus cubes... cable driven 102s are made for WOT in my opinion...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray some lithium grease on the return spring area.

Quick Reply: 102mm PTM Throttle Body issue