Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocated coils under headers - heat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Relocated coils under headers - heat?

I am working on my engine swap and wanted to mount my coils in a hidden location. I found a convenient spot under the headers, but I am concerned about heat affecting the coils. The car will be street driven and autocrossed. Reliability is important, but I'm not sure how much of a problem having the coils here would be. The nearest primary tube is about 2" away and there is open area under the coils. I suspect airflow from driving will cool them a bit, but they may get soaked while sitting.

What do you think? Will these things live down here okay or am I going to have problems?

Here's what they look like loosely in place while the engine was still supported by the hoist. You can see one of the coils broke as I was removing the plug wire. I think it must have already been cracked before I got it because the wire pulled off like normal with the missing piece of plastic left inside the boot. I'll have to pickup a replacement.

And here is what they look like with the header installed.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you have a legitimate concern. Generally speaking electronic/electrical parts do not work as well or carry as much load when hot as they do when cooler. The question is, is there enough airflow around the coil packs to keep them in a good operating environment? You have the motor on one side and the headers on the other side putting out heat.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

At a minimum I will add a heat shield to deflect radiant heat coming off the headers. I am thinking something like this.

This would leave the bottom open to allow airflow. Not sure about the need for splash protection.
Attached Thumbnails Relocated coils under headers - heat?-coilshieldconcept1.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"This would leave the bottom open to allow airflow. Not sure about the need for splash protection."

You are probably OK concerning slash from water in that location. Heat shields will work if designed correctly. Sounds like you are on the right track.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only long term testing will confirm, but I'd consider shielding while you're at it. I relocated my coils under try headers on my 4th gen and will be tweaking the design to add shields over the winter....certainly wont hurt. Will also be going with a custom Firecore wire set.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

LPE 403 have you had any driving on the car yet? It looks almost too nice to drive, but on the other hand too awesome not to drive. I really like what you did with it.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of starter motors die from header heat. Don't see why you would put coils under that kind of stress. On the vette, I mounted mine inside the inner fenders where they stay dry and much cooler.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
LPE 403 have you had any driving on the car yet? It looks almost too nice to drive, but on the other hand too awesome not to drive. I really like what you did with it.
Agreed! I'd love to go for a ride in that car. Maybe dinner and a show and then...
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks...no road time yet. Just trailer time....prob won't get any seat time until Spring.

Originally Posted by Frank Blah Blah
Agreed! I'd love to go for a ride in that car. Maybe dinner and a show and then...
You skip taking your med's again
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a minimum I will add a heat shield to deflect radiant heat coming off the headers. I am thinking something like this.

This would leave the bottom open to allow airflow. Not sure about the need for splash protection.
Another area of concern with heat is the four bolt that used to mount the relocated coils. If it is mounted to engine block, then direct heat conduction is a problem!

My set up is similar to some other commercially available relocation kits in appearance, where it differ is my base mount, traced to mounting onto non metallic base - to avoid direct heat conduction. The idea is having the set, elevated and exposed to surrounding ambient air with the shortest possible plug wire runs:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/P1010354.jpg

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/P1010355.jpg

My hood is also subtly modified to extract hot engine air passively, as #7 suffers the most in the OEM close hood configuration:

OEM hood latch with T6 spacer:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/P1010013.jpg

Delrin bumper stopper:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/P1010015.jpg

Hood closed and locked down:

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/P1010016.jpg

Hope that helps your brainstorming!
Old 11-23-2020, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw pictures of your car with the coils on the firewall. Was that the final location? Did you ever get the motor mount coils to fit and run?

Quick Reply: Relocated coils under headers - heat?