Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Harness & Controller question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Harness & Controller question

Here's my question; Installing an LSX into a 67 camaro never used the LS technology so i'm a newbie regarding using the computer regardless:

I'm not sure what questions i need to ask regarding versatility....Tune options, i'm shooting for 700 FWHP.

Should i go to a junk yard and pick up an LS3 or newer harness and computer (if i can find one)

Or should i go aftermarket (Cha ching$$$)

is there someone out there i can call get more info?

also i plan on using the ISIS system for the car itself....if that matters...

Tony
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It all depends on what motor you put into the car, as to what controller and harness you need. I wouldn't go after market at the power levels you're looking at. Do you have the motor already? If so, what year is the motor?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

I have a brand new LSX block, not assembled yet....

Pro Touring package with some strip and street usage in the foreseeable future
Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX67RS/SS
Here's my question; Installing an LSX into a 67 camaro never used the LS technology so i'm a newbie regarding using the computer regardless:

I'm not sure what questions i need to ask regarding versatility....Tune options, i'm shooting for 700 FWHP.

Should i go to a junk yard and pick up an LS3 or newer harness and computer (if i can find one)

Or should i go aftermarket (Cha ching$$$)

is there someone out there i can call get more info?

also i plan on using the ISIS system for the car itself....if that matters...

Tony
I did a similar project swapping a fuel injected, computer controlled LS engine into my 69 Camaro (sleeved LS2 427). I opted to use a GM ECU rather than aftermarket products. I didn't want to wrap up a bunch of money in an aftermarket system that may or may not have support in the future. The GM computers and components are readily available, and should be supported for many years. Also there are lots of options for tuning the GM ECU's... lots of different software packages available, and people with experience tuning.

The older LS engines used a 24 tooth reluctor wheel on the crank and the newer ones use a 58 tooth. You will need to pick one for your build and then match up the correct ECU, sensors, and wiring harness. I had a custom wiring harness made for my project. This simplified things. I just specified the ECU type, alternator type, sensors, and computer mounting location. When the harness showed up I just plugged it in and everything fit and worked perfectly.

Also... be sure to size the fuel pump correctly for the 700 HP build. Get a fuel pump that will maintain correct pressure at peak HP. My engine put out 670 HP on the engine dyno and I use a 380 lph pump.

Pay close attention to sizing the alternator. Be sure to have enough output to power the coils, cooling fans, fuel pump, etc. I used a 150 amp alternator on my LS engine (my small block had an 85 amp alternator).

I might seem like a lot of work to make the switch but it's well worth it, you'll see.

Good luck with your build!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Dale,

Great Info; plan on going with the 58 tooth wheel. Fuel tank with pump is already spec'd just trying to decide who i buy it from...

Where did you get you harness, sounds like a great option.....
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks Dale,

Great Info; plan on going with the 58 tooth wheel. Fuel tank with pump is already spec'd just trying to decide who i buy it from...

I'm doing an LS7 in my 69

Got my custom harness and ECM (GM out of a 2008 Vette) from PSI. Great guys with excellent quality product. Programed for per my motor specs. So basically plug and play. Approx $1000 for everything.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Dale,

I bought my fuel tank direct from Ricks Tanks. They make a nice quality tank that bolts right in a gen 1 Camaro. I bought my fuel pump and digital controller direct from Vaporworxs. This is a stand alone system that came with a fuel pump, digital controller, and wiring harness. This was very easy to install. My GM ECU turns on the Vaporworx digital controller (12V + signal). With this system I set my fuel pressure at 58 PSI and the controller maintains the pressure at any RPM by changing the voltage to the fuel pump. This system works great and always maintains the 58 PSI.

The wiring harness I used was purchased through my engine builder (Nutter Racing Engines) and I don't know the vendor name that he used. When you buy the harness If you have a choice get the show covering... it's a black mesh material that covers the wires and it makes for a nice clean look.

Wire harness with show cover

Home made ECU mounting bracket

Here is a picture of the GM ECU and fuel pump controller mounted in the car at the right front corner behind the battery. This worked good. I ran the main line inside the fender up to the firewall.

Ricks Tank with fuel pump installed
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice installation Dale.

Was there enough power wire for your mounting location?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CarlC
Nice installation Dale.

Was there enough power wire for your mounting location?
Thanks Carl.

I did not have to add any wire to the wiring harness... the power wire for the fuel pump just reached. If the wire was about 12 inches longer that would be better.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Dale! Feedback like yours helps to make the kits better.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Dale great info... i love this site...great people with the same addiction....

I was trying to decide between the Vaporworx or the tank DSE offers (maybe its a vaporworx also??) I think DSE has direct "withdrawl" on my bank account

I really like the "show" version...you really got a nice install....what intake are you running?

Question about the ECM...can it be tuned at a later date, i just don't want to get an ECM thats "locked"..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Dale great info... i love this site...great people with the same addiction....

I was trying to decide between the Vaporworx or the tank DSE offers (maybe its a vaporworx also??) I think DSE has direct "withdrawl" on my bank account

I really like the "show" version...you really got a nice install....what intake are you running?

Question about the ECM...can it be tuned at a later date, i just don't want to get an ECM thats "locked"..
Thanks... yeah, I definitely have the addiction too and the direct withdrawl!

I am not familiar with the DSE tank although every part I have bought from DSE has always been top notch. Just make sure the tank has the correct mount for whatever fuel pump you choose to use. The one I bought had the correct flange mount for the submerged GM fuel pump. The Ricks Tanks had lot's of options for different pump mounts.

I am using CNC ported GM LS7 heads, and a GM LS7 single plane intake manifold set up for port fuel injection. I wanted to retain a bit of the old school look under the hood and I wanted strong mid range and top end power. I had plenty of room for the single plane intake since my car has a cowel induction hood.

The beauty of using the GM ECU is that they can be easily tuned at any time. Once you determine your basic engine specs; CI, heads, intake, tb, induction, cam, etc. you can purchase the ECU and wiring harness pre-programmed with a tune by providing the vendor with the build info (I know Speartech offers this service). Once you finish your build you can modify the tune any time using purchased software by yourself, or pay someone local to tune it. My engine builder buys GM ECU's from wrecked cars and then loads a custom tune using HP Tuner software. This is what we used on my engine. The GM ECU's are very versatile. You can also log engine data on the fly and review later (with the right software package). This can be handy if you do track days or drag racing. I am now in the process of learning the software.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CarlC
Thanks Dale! Feedback like yours helps to make the kits better.
Thanks for asking... your Vaporworx kits are top notch. It's nice when you buy a product and it works right out of the box, and everything fits.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Thank you Dale. I try to keep the idea simple: Would I put it on my car?

The DSE Supertanks use the VaporWorx mounting components and electronic systems as well.

Quick Reply: Engine Harness & Controller question