Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can help please! Previously installed! (Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catch Can help please! Previously installed! (Pic)

Accidentally posted in the wrong section, here goes.

The car is new to me and I've been slowly going over everything.

I ran the car for ~15 minutes parked and decided to take my intake tubing off and look inside to see how it appeared (Just curious) and I opened the blade of my TB to check out the P&P job and very light/thin smoke came out and it looked oily in the intake and slight residue in the intake tubing (turbo car).

So I looked over the catch can routing and it doesn't seem right to me (but I am not an expert, never routed one before). But it seems like the TB would pull oil from the drivers side head.

Also, there is a hose just ran to beneath the car (Like the overflow hose on the overflow tank from the radiator).

Sorry for the funky colors, tried to change how it transitioned.
https://i.imgur.com/1JdZ6pq.jpg
Catch Can help please! Previously installed! (Pic)-1jdz6pq.jpg

Shouldn't the "green" hose run to both heads with a Y fitting, and the "orange" hose run straight to the TB/intake for vacuum?

Also, shouldn't it have some sort of 1 way valves so it doesnt pressurize the system when its into boost?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

I just looked things over again.

The line is not going to the port right behind the TB. That port is capped off on the intake. The line that looks like its going to the TB in the picture is actually going to the valley port.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Couple pages in, there's some FI discussion
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 07-12-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Couple pages in, there's some FI discussion
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Thanks, don't know why my searches didn't bring this monster up. 26 pages to read. I appreciate it!

From other pages I found to just run my catch can between each valve cover (passenger > catch can > Driver side). And run the valley to the front of the turbo (Air filter). (Leave port after the TB capped off)

I'll see if this thread verifies that. I would like to avoid running anything through my turbo/intercooler as to keep from any oil/residue pooling in there.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Well, I've found two diagrams that everyone seems to agree with, but they are different.

and

Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using a Mighty Mouse can setup like the second diagram. It is working flawlessly. I had other brands on before it and I was experiencing oil coming from rear main from excessive crankcase pressure from 15lbs of boost. After adding the MM can, there are no more leaks and no more drips on my garage floor. I am at 20lbs of boost now as well. I cannot say enough good about the can and Dave (Mighty Mouse).
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blake b
I am using a Mighty Mouse can setup like the second diagram. It is working flawlessly. I had other brands on before it and I was experiencing oil coming from rear main from excessive crankcase pressure from 15lbs of boost. After adding the MM can, there are no more leaks and no more drips on my garage floor. I am at 20lbs of boost now as well. I cannot say enough good about the can and Dave (Mighty Mouse).
Thank you! Have you noticed any oil residue getting on your turbo or in your intercooler with it routed to infront of the turbo?

Edit: Also do you have any 1 way valves on the lines to prevent boosting back through? (The hose that goes from the intake to the top of MM catch can)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running a Ysi and I have not noticed any oil anywhere. The line from the valley cover is routed to the base of the air filter on the Ysi. I had it off yesterday and there were no traces of oil in it.

The top port of the MM can is a one way metal PCV burstproof valve.

I am getting very little oil in my can. I contacted Dave about it and he didn't seem to think it was an issue. I also don't beat on the car often. Most spirited runs get cut short at 6000rpms because I'm over the speed limit by then anyway in third or above. Car runs great and doesn't leak oil anymore. I am very very happy with it after trying more expensive versions.

Quick Reply: Catch Can help please! Previously installed! (Pic)