Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify a Kooks TD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I have American Racing LT's with their high flow cats thru Magnaflow catback out the back. Absolutely hated the rasp and Harley sound from stops and rpm range as a4 shifts with a Yank 3450 stall.

So I added these Magnaflow's which are straight thru. It made a huge difference, got rid of the rasp and Harley sound, but still wish it was a little quieter while getting up to speed (45 mph) in city driving.

Wish I had went with dual tips, however, and still might, since the welder does excellent work.

And I do have room to add another after the j pipe.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackedOut LS1
Seems like you and JakeFusion are the guys I need to be following! My relocation bar is the lowest point underneath my car. but the problem seem to be the bracket pressing against the exhaust. Are you experiencing that too?

I made some spacers. 1/4 + 1/2 inch worked for me. But still need to make just two spacers (one for each side) that are at total of 3/4 inch.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Here's a video of ground clearance with mine. Still using the BMR DSL with mine. When I pull the trans to install my new triple disk converter, I'll swap over to the MWC unit. But as you can see, the exhaust pipe right before it goes over the axle is the lowest place on mine. I can't make it tuck any higher.

And while the UltraFlos didn't make it drone free, the exhaust is more tolerable now.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

FWIW, with carbon DS, don’t need the loop
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like you and JakeFusion are the guys I need to be following! My relocation bar is the lowest point underneath my car. but the problem seem to be the bracket pressing against the exhaust. Are you experiencing that too?
The MWC bracket fits perfectly with no rubbing, no issues.
An old trick to eliminate vibration ( when no amount of BFH will help) is to put a piece of heater hose between the touching metal parts as it absorbs some of the vibration.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Here's a video of ground clearance with mine. Still using the BMR DSL with mine. When I pull the trans to install my new triple disk converter, I'll swap over to the MWC unit. But as you can see, the exhaust pipe right before it goes over the axle is the lowest place on mine. I can't make it tuck any higher.

And while the UltraFlos didn't make it drone free, the exhaust is more tolerable now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7L15T1wFM4
From this vantage point, it looks & sounds great !
I have the same low point on my system as well. That would be the location for resonators if the clearance wasn't an issue.
Honestly the Magnaflows are growing on me. Compliments All Day Long.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve probably had 2 dozen different exhaust setups on my Firehawk over 16 years.

Running 2 Corsa Mufflers (not bullets) on my Kooks True Duals is what I’ve always wanted but couldn’t find a shop that could make it work - until a few months ago.

It’s the best my car has ever sounded IMO and exactly what I wanted ����

Wasn’t an easy install but the finished product was worth it.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Where'd you get the Corsas? I was thinking of buying a 3" 5th Gen Camaro setup just to steal the mufflers. They should be perfect on the exhaust.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrOmm
The MWC bracket fits perfectly with no rubbing, no issues.
An old trick to eliminate vibration ( when no amount of BFH will help) is to put a piece of heater hose between the touching metal parts as it absorbs some of the vibration.
I will certainly try that, thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I made some spacers. 1/4 + 1/2 inch worked for me. But still need to make just two spacers (one for each side) that are at total of 3/4 inch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...7689364049826/
I thought spacers I was worried about lowering that bracket even more, I'll have to experiment with it.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Where'd you get the Corsas? I was thinking of buying a 3" 5th Gen Camaro setup just to steal the mufflers. They should be perfect on the exhaust.
From Corsa. They took the specs of my engine and recommended a system that goes on certain model C6 corvettes.

I was told by one of their techs that if I threw just a random set of Corsa Mufflers on it would drone; with what he recommended, I have no drone and a completely unique sound.

Ground clearance in the back, under the trunk area, is not very good but acceptable for me to drive daily.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Did they sell the mufflers to you or the whole system?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183593...7689364049826/
That's neat how'd you make that, or where did you get them?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

You can use flat washers there too. I had 3 or so grade 8 washers to space the BMR DSL loop down enough so it didn't touch.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Corsa will not sell the Mufflers separately so you have to buy the whole system.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's neat how'd you make that, or where did you get them?
My son made them for me. He is a CNC programmer and also runs Mag 5 axis machines.

Erik at BMR suggested the idea when I got their kit. He said they had tested with them, but couldn't find the plates, so I made my own.

The bracket isn't any lower than the looped bracket on the Spohn tunnel mount kit that I had previously on the car (spacers add up to 3/4 inch). I got tired of the clunking when the rear end would load or unload with the Spohn tunnel mount ta. Even tried their Delrin bushing - didn't help.

Pic below of the Spohn tq. It would catch speed bumps. My Z28 is lowered in the front with Koni's (about 3/4 inch) and in the back with Sam Strano lowering springs (about 1 1/2 inches).

BMR TA

There is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches of clearance using 3/4 inches of spacers. Still don't like it so this winter plan to cut out the 1/2 of the tube and weld in plate which will be the same as 3/4 of spacers while at the same time raise the bracket. There are also leading edges on the bracket that can be trimmed a 1/4 of an inch. Yes - realize tubing is perhaps stronger, but at my rwhp I doubt that I will be able to twist the bracket if a plate is welded in and if the ends of the flat piece are at 90 degree angle on the ends where it will be welded. 1/4 inch plate should be pretty strong.

Note: you can make spacers easily enough with a piece of 3/4 X 1 1/2 inch aluminum bar. Look for aircraft salvage yards. That's where I get my metal when needed. You don't necessarily have to slot the holes like what was done on mine.

It would be nice if BMR would add different spacers as an option. Yes you can add thick washers, but perhaps don't want to stack them more than a 1/4 inch or so. What I did at first.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-27-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have high fear of mine getting ripped out again. Cost $4000 in damage, so trying to avoid that at all costs.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
I have high fear of mine getting ripped out again. Cost $4000 in damage, so trying to avoid that at all costs.
Agree - that's why I am going to modify the tubing on the front ta mount with flat bar steel. That will raise the TA back up 3/4 inch (remove the spacers). On my setup then still allow enough room for the three inch pipe aft of the j pipe.

The BMR TA013 kit when mounted flush with the floor mounts is exactly the same height as the bottom of the rear TA bracket. And also the same height as my Spohn lower control arm brackets. You can also see that the bracket on the tunnel mount with the spacers is just a bit lower than the American Racing j pipes and I have them mounted as high as possible. So if I remove the spacers, the j pipe will actually be lower than the bottom of the ta bracket.

In summary when we modify and lower these cars, there are lots of places with very little ground clearance.

FTW - my 12 Corvette Grandsport (stock - no mods) is only five inches off of the ground in the front. There are a lot of parking lots with speed bumps that I have to stay away from. So not much difference in ground clearance between my Camaro and the Vette.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have equal exhaust on the Camaro as the Vette you won't have as much clearance on the Camaro, but yeah both are limited.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Agree - that's why I am going to modify the tubing on the front ta mount with flat bar steel. That will raise the TA back up 3/4 inch (remove the spacers). On my setup then still allow enough room for the three inch pipe aft of the j pipe.

The BMR TA013 kit when mounted flush with the floor mounts is exactly the same height as the bottom of the rear TA bracket. And also the same height as my Spohn lower control arm brackets. You can also see that the bracket on the tunnel mount with the spacers is just a bit lower than the American Racing j pipes and I have them mounted as high as possible. So if I remove the spacers, the j pipe will actually be lower than the bottom of the ta bracket.

In summary when we modify and lower these cars, there are lots of places with very little ground clearance.

FTW - my 12 Corvette Grandsport (stock - no mods) is only five inches off of the ground in the front. There are a lot of parking lots with speed bumps that I have to stay away from. So not much difference in ground clearance between my Camaro and the Vette.
😳 $4k in damage!!, I might just take that **** off! I’m impressed with the clearance of this system but I’m afraid to lower that bar 3/4”. Then my guy tack welded my system last week when he installed it, so when I showed up with these new mufflers he wanted to die! This was supposed to be a budget exhaust now between all the labor and these new mufflers I’m in deep😂..... Can I go back with my stock torque arm with these duals.

Quick Reply: Anyone modify a Kooks TD?