Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify a Kooks TD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOut LS1
�� $4k in damage!!, I might just take that **** off! I’m impressed with the clearance of this system but I’m afraid to lower that bar 3/4”. Then my guy tack welded my system last week when he installed it, so when I showed up with these new mufflers he wanted to die! This was supposed to be a budget exhaust now between all the labor and these new mufflers I’m in deep��..... Can I go back with my stock torque arm with these duals.
Looking at my car from front to rear, the first piece that is lower than the BMR bracket is the TCI deep pan on the auto trans. Along side of the deep pan are the American Racing headers that are just as low as the deep pan. Moving back is the bracket with 3/4 spacers that is level with the deep pan and then back again to the rear are the lower control arm brackets that are the same level.

So there are many parts under these cars that can possibly hit something if we decide to add custom parts while at the same time lowering these cars about an inch and half.

My solution will be to raise the bracket up by modifiying with a flat bar steel piece replacing the 1 inch tubing. Then I won't need the spacers. Even so all of the other parts I pointed out above will still be lower than the BMR bracket.

Lastly, I live in a normal neighborhood with normal driveway inclines. I can't drive my Corvette GS into the garage without scraping the front air dam and valance. It is stock height from the factory.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. Eventually I will replace the valance if it starts to look bad or breaks.

It's a risk we take when we modify our cars or drive cars that don't have a lot of ground clearance.

Perhaps the poster who had $4k of damage will respond telling us what he hit than caused the damage and the parts that were damaged.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my car already lowered and I have no clue how much. I couldn't get a solid answer on stock height when I raised it back up either. The car drove but had tones of issues, so I started with a new motor, trans, driveshaft, and exhaust. Suspension was next. I was just trying to break in my clutch, trans, and breaks. The road I went down two days earlier on normal lanes swapped traffic to construction lanes so I didn't know to avoid it. My driveshaft loop caught on a water pipe sticking up in the middle of the lane over a crest. I was worried as soon as it came out from under the other car, but I couldn't go around it with traffic coming the other way. Ripped off loop, snapped the new drive shaft, bent the BMR torque arm, crushed my custom 4 muffler stainless dual exhaust and bent up the passenger floor. I have raised it with new coilovers, and fixed everything but the exhaust. I'm driving it around with open headers to break it in while I save money to redo the exhaust.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well my exhaust guy is gonna put some thick washer underneath the bracket and try to get it off the exhaust some. Hopefully that and new magnaflows will help the noise and vibration alot
Old 11-30-2017, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well my exhaust guy is gonna put some thick washer underneath the bracket and try to get it off the exhaust some. Hopefully that and new magnaflows will help the noise and vibration alot
I recall that the thick fender washers that I got at Lowes/Ace Hdwe were about 1/8 inch thick. So two stacked adds up to about a 1/4 inch. I cut a slot out of each washer so I was able to slide the washers in without having to remove the bolt and drop the front TA Bracket. Lot easier than trying to man handle the TA by yourself while at the same time trying to start the bolts that hold the bracket.

Get longer grade 8 bolts too to account for the extra 1/4 (if you use two washers) on each side.

BTW, the washers were before I made the spacers.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

New mufflers installed, and 3 washers took the relocation bracket off of the exhaust system to stop that vibration throughout the car. These mufflers are like night and day, the cabin is almost quieter than my old Hooker cat back system. The note is very tame but strong at idle and aggressive under throttle. I could not be happier because initially this exhaust system droned so much it made me nauseous. Now if someone could tell me if it takes two hours and $200-$250 to set a pinion angle?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Nice to have a "civilized" ride again, huh? Enjoy, man!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

New mufflers installed, and 3 washers took the relocation bracket off of the exhaust system to stop that vibration throughout the car. These mufflers are like night and day, the cabin is almost quieter than my old Hooker cat back system. The note is very tame but strong at idle and aggressive under throttle. I could not be happier because initially this exhaust system droned so much it made me nauseous. Now if someone could tell me if it takes two hours and $200-$250 to set a pinion angle?
Find a new shop. The only way it would take two to 2 1/2 hrs is if you adjusted it, set if on the ground, drove it, wasn't right and put it on the hoist again and kept doing that until you get it right.

Some of these cars are very critical after doing mods such as adding k members, solid motor mounts, different transmission cross member, the wrong transmission isolater etc. I had a Yank tranmission mount that along with the UMI k member thru my tailshaft off by 3/4 of an inch. So I had to raise the tailshaft by that amount to keep the front u joint from vibrating.

If the front tailshaft is too low even by a 1/2 inch they will vibrate on the front.

So yes, worst case scenario can take some time when adjusting pinion angle to try to get rid of vibration and save your ujoints.

But, you can buy the angle finder at Harbor Freight for less than $10 along with some cheap BA wrenches. An you will need two sets of drive on ramps.

Drive the car on ramps, making sure the suspension loaded and NOT unsprung.

You will need four wrenches - two 15/16 inch, one 1 inch, and one 1 1/8 inch if adjusting the BMRTA013.

Follow the BMR TA instructions or the Spohn TA instructions. Find a friend to help you.

I set mine at -1 degree because I don't race or street race.

You can buy all of the stuff above and still save money if the shop charges that much.

Note: some can adjust the car at the track simply by knowing the number of turns on the adjusting nut for each degree of angle they want. So it does't have to be on jack stands or level, etc if you keep track of various angles and the number of turns for street setting vs drag strip setting.

Spohn, BTW, sends along an angle finder with their kit, BMR did not.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-30-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nice to have a "civilized" ride again, huh? Enjoy, man!
Yeah man it’s civilized with a bad disposition I love it!
Old 11-30-2017, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Find a new shop. The only way it would take two to 2 1/2 hrs is if you adjusted it, set if on the ground, drove it, wasn't right and put it on the hoist again and kept doing that until you get it right.

Some of these cars are very critical after doing mods such as adding k members, solid motor mounts, different transmission cross member, the wrong transmission isolater etc. I had a Yank tranmission mount that along with the UMI k member thru my tailshaft off by 3/4 of an inch. So I had to raise the tailshaft by that amount to keep the front u joint from vibrating.

If the front tailshaft is too low even by a 1/2 inch they will vibrate on the front.

So yes, worst case scenario can take some time when adjusting pinion angle to try to get rid of vibration and save your ujoints.

But, you can buy the angle finder at Harbor Freight for less than $10 along with some cheap BA wrenches. An you will need two sets of drive on ramps.

Drive the car on ramps, making sure the suspension loaded and NOT unsprung.

You will need four wrenches - two 15/16 inch, one 1 inch, and one 1 1/8 inch if adjusting the BMRTA013.

Follow the BMR TA instructions or the Spohn TA instructions. Find a friend to help you.

I set mine at -1 degree because I don't race or street race.

You can buy all of the stuff above and still save money if the shop charges that much.

Note: some can adjust the car at the track simply by knowing the number of turns on the adjusting nut for each degree of angle they want. So it does't have to be on jack stands or level, etc if you keep track of various angles and the number of turns for street setting vs drag strip setting.

Spohn, BTW, sends along an angle finder with their kit, BMR did not.
Thanks for the advice! I have all the tools, my brother and I may tackle It tomorrow or Saturday. I passed up a harbor freight today! UMI left some instructions also.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 521 Likes on 402 Posts

I must of missed it somewhere BlackedOut LS1 which Magnaflow mufflers did you use and did to put them in place of the SE mufflers or add them up stream?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bbond105
I must of missed it somewhere BlackedOut LS1 which Magnaflow mufflers did you use and did to put them in place of the SE mufflers or add them up stream?
Sure thing.........NitrOmm posted his experiences with various mufflers on page 3 post #50, and sound clips of the Magnaflow 12219 in post #52 and #55. This made me go with Magnaflow 12219, I replaced the SE bullets with them and I am extremely satisfied.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I think I will give those a try. The sound deading help a lot but still needs more.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

New mufflers installed, and 3 washers took the relocation bracket off of the exhaust system to stop that vibration throughout the car. These mufflers are like night and day, the cabin is almost quieter than my old Hooker cat back system. The note is very tame but strong at idle and aggressive under throttle. I could not be happier because initially this exhaust system droned so much it made me nauseous.
BlackedOut LS1

Where did you get your mufflers installed at? I got a pair of Magnaflow 12219 and took them to a few muffler shops in Gulfport, MS. And they all said that they could not install those mufflers in place of the SE bullets. New Orleans is not that far. I would be willing to run over there if you feel like the shop that did yours did a good job.

Last edited by bbond105; 02-09-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

After going to several exhaust shops I my area and having them tell that the Magnaflow 12219 mufflers would not fit on my Speed Engineering TD kit, I decided to try to install them myself. I will say that this is not as simple as cutting the Speed Engineering mufflers off and bolting the Magnaflows on. The case of these mufflers are 14” long and the Speed Engineering mufflers are a little less than 12” long. I had to cut almost all of the inlet and out let pipes off of the Magnaflow mufflers to get them to fit and weld them in place. I am not a professional welder and having basic cutting and welding tools, this took me around 6 hours to complete, but it was well worth the hassle. I finally have the sound that I have been looking for. The Magnaflows gave the exhaust a nice deeper tone and you can now have a conversation in the car without having to raise you voice. There is no rasp or drone at any RPM or speed. I am sure that these mufflers would have the same effect on the Kooks or TSP TD exhaust kits.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbond105
After going to several exhaust shops I my area and having them tell that the Magnaflow 12219 mufflers would not fit on my Speed Engineering TD kit, I decided to try to install them myself. I will say that this is not as simple as cutting the Speed Engineering mufflers off and bolting the Magnaflows on. The case of these mufflers are 14” long and the Speed Engineering mufflers are a little less than 12” long. I had to cut almost all of the inlet and out let pipes off of the Magnaflow mufflers to get them to fit and weld them in place. I am not a professional welder and having basic cutting and welding tools, this took me around 6 hours to complete, but it was well worth the hassle. I finally have the sound that I have been looking for. The Magnaflows gave the exhaust a nice deeper tone and you can now have a conversation in the car without having to raise you voice. There is no rasp or drone at any RPM or speed. I am sure that these mufflers would have the same effect on the Kooks or TSP TD exhaust kits.

I read all the posts in here lots of good info. I have the TSP true duals and just ordered the magnaflows. I want to try and figure out a way to be able to install these with the ability to switch back and forth with the bullets that came with it. Oddly enough fresh after my install the drone was holy ****, but the more I drive it the less there is, maybe it is just me. I went from an adjustable borla system which wide open was decent, fully closed it was to quiet and raspy. Bought the borla when the car had stock cubes and it was amazing, but behind the 408 stroker it lost that amazing sound. Trying to find that balance with a true dual setup is a pain in the *** on these cars.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,406 Posts

It could be the packing settling in, causing the drone to ease up some
Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
im going to put them in the area right before the arch to go over the axel. I heard the headeds need a little room after the collectors to scavenge properly or something.
are those hi flow cats to the rear there or resonators in this pic?
Old 03-30-2019, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default resonators

Originally Posted by BluebirdLS
are those hi flow cats to the rear there or resonators in this pic?
Those are resonators. The cats are further up. Close to the headers
Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I plan to try to Kooks Ovals at some point...
Old 03-30-2019, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This one?

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I plan to try to Kooks Ovals at some point...

https://kooksheaders.com/collections...-oval-mufflers

Quick Reply: Anyone modify a Kooks TD?