Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet sleeved block with intermittent white coolant smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Wet sleeved block with intermittent white coolant smoke

I have a Darton wet sleeved MID LS2 block in a 2010 Camaro and I am using Evans waterless coolant in it. The engine has maybe 300 miles on it.

The other day, I drove the car to eat. After coming back outside, when I started it, white smoke came out of the tailpipes and stopped after the initial start. I drove to a gas station and, as I pulled into the lot, I received the dash information message the car was overheated. I then noticed the gauge was pegged on hot. I was running the AC prior to this.

I turned the car off and let it sit for several minutes until it cooled down and I wasn't getting anymore messages from the car. I started the car and pulled over to the pumps for fuel. When it started, again white smoke came out of the tailpipes and then stopped.

I don't remember if the car smoked after starting it again after fueling. However, it did not smoke anymore at all the rest of the day when being started. I did not run the AC anymore that day. When driving down the highway at speed, the temps are in the 200s to 210s. Once, when sitting at a long stop light, the temps crept into the 230s. A few minutes later, at another long light, the temps held steady at 212. Neither of those were with AC on.

There are no external leaks, the oil does not have coolant in it and the coolant level appears the same as always. There has been a slight coolant smell prior to this when starting the car. It seems to come from the vents indicating a heater core issue and has been smelled from the tail pipe but goes away and never had smoke before the aforementioned times.

I haven't pulled the heads yet to check the gaskets, etc but thought I'd see if anyone else has had the same issues and what their experience was.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by blake b
......I haven't pulled the heads yet to check the gaskets...........
When you do, take pictures of where the head gasket blew out.....

KW
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious who installed sleeves?
Have you called them?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

He mentioned Darton.... sound like Steve at Racing engine development.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They were installed by Lamar Walden who has since passed away. I'm not the guy who had the work done, I bought it from the guy who did. Furthermore, it was rehoned after I got it. Based on those facts, barking up that tree is probably not an option I'll even explore.

I'm leaning towards a crack in an exhaust port since there is no coolant in the oil.

I have no desire to turn a wrench on it at the moment so it is at a shop. I told them I'm in no hurry for it as I'm burned out on the two year project. In fact, I may just sell the car on the cheap regardless of it getting fixed or not.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blake b
......I'm burned out on the two year project. In fact, I may just sell the car on the cheap regardless of it getting fixed or not.
Damn.....that's too bad. I think a lot of us get to feeling this way at some point. Hope things work out!

KW
Old 06-16-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Oh man don't give up, if you do, later you
will be wishing you still had it, just take a
breather from it, then climb back on the
saddle.
Think how much fun it will be when
complete.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just stumbled on this thread. Any updates? Is there any reason that your using the Evans waterless coolant? It runs a lot HOTTER than regular coolant / distilled water mix from what I've read. I looked into it and it made no sense to me.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default MID blocks

Do you know what head gaskets were used? Cometic MID specific head gaskets are recommended. The Texas Speed PFF head gaskets work well for highly boosted applications but I am not certain of their life span on the street.
If using non torque to yield fasteners, the fasteners must be retorqued after the first heat up cool down cycle. The same holds true for dry sleeved blocks.
Evans is the preferred coolant to protect the sleeves from cavitation damage. This is more of a problem with boosted engines that will run into detonation. You should never use plain or distilled water as the sleeves will turn to solid rust, also the issue with cavitation that in time will erode holes through the sleeves.
A torque restraint is highly recommended to take the load off of the engine mounts and prevent distortion of the block which can result in a blown head gasket. Front and rear motor plates are recommended for high power applications.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
When you do, take pictures of where the head gasket blew out.....

KW
This above ^^^^ Just tore mine down with the same issue. Slight seepage between number 2 and 4 cylinder. Exact same things going on. No oil in coolant or vise versa and never used any for that matter either....
Old 07-07-2016, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Ramair, what kind of sleeves and who installed them?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 PM
9 Second Club

Mr. Steve above and dry sleeve....
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

ramair do you have a build thread?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

Not so much but just do a search on my username and you will find endless info on my junk!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
This above ^^^^ Just tore mine down with the same issue. Slight seepage between number 2 and 4 cylinder. Exact same things going on. No oil in coolant or vise versa and never used any for that matter either....
That's not good to hear! I was just about to ask you how it was running.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I just stumbled on this thread. Any updates?......
He hasn't been on the forum since is last post.....

KW

Quick Reply: Wet sleeved block with intermittent white coolant smoke