Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have a L76 intake whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody else have a L76 intake whistle?

Around 1,400 - 1,800 rpm. I have another L76 on the way, bottom is going to be cut out, runners cleaned up and maybe shortened up a tad, also looking for culprit for the whistle.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

no whistle here chris....... other than the whistle....hows the car?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2c5s
The only mod I seem to be missing is that CLifford deal your running. Price and where to buy please.

Hey I waited 7 YEARS for that alarm to be made.....

It's been discontinued now though the advantgaurd 5 doesn't offer remote start for manuals anymore (you have to go back to the old way of bypassing the switch under the clutch pedal- which is dangerous) Other than that- the advantgaurd series of security systems are really top notch: just don't be surprised when your labor is JUST AS MUCH (if not a few $$$ more) than the product itself
Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dame
no whistle here chris....... other than the whistle....hows the car?

I'm running a NW90mm on there. I may throw a LS2 on today to see if it's the tbody. Other than that.......

Cadillac in all their wisdom decided to use a shorter input shaft on the V's T56. When I first got the 408 on the dyno, the pilot bearing sheared itself in half, why??? Because the input shaft was flopping around against it because it's short. When the input shaft flopped around at say 6k rpm, it eats the slave cylinder & throw out bearing. Hence my clutch failure on the dyno. The V uses a sealed pilot bearing that sits in the first seaction of the crank, not deeply recessed like most EVERY OTHER car. In short, everything is back together as of Thursday and sounds much quieter than before. I actually heard this one going last week and parked the car trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Talked to Rodney @ RPM and he had also experienced the same issue and gone through some slave's etc. He started measuring parts and found the shorter input shaft. When I took off the spacer this time, I noticed a touch of trans fluid under the input shaft seal. Rodney next day aired me the seal and tool to install it properly. MUCHO APPRECIATED!!! I also had a remote bleeder built for the slave, bleeding and fluid changes will be a breeze now.

The good news..... my 480 rwhp was with input shaft flopping all over the place and not supported. Hopefully I'll find the time to get it on the dyno next week and look for 500 NA rwhp. By the way, this combo has been netting 22 mpg 75% freeway @ 80mph. That's the true fuel consumption with me doing the math at the pump. The computer is off a few mpg. Not bad for a 260cc port 408 in a 4,000+ lb. pig of a car. All in all, I'm happy as hell with it. The heads are coming off shortly for Richards porting, AFR 225's go on while the L92 are getting ported for a nice back to back. mmmm controversy.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi folks
If it is whistling, it generally means you have a vacuum leak. I would check for a leak using an alcohol and trans mission fluid combination – look for smoke out the tail. This is what I remember using but maybe somebody else has a better approach.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

I have one, i'll post the results soon
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris, wasn't there a thread posted here a few months ago about and L76 intake that had some cracks underneath? The cracks were along the posts in the middle of the intake on the bottom as I recall.

Of course maybe your intake is just happy.............

Richard
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Chris, wasn't there a thread posted here a few months ago about and L76 intake that had some cracks underneath? The cracks were along the posts in the middle of the intake on the bottom as I recall.

Of course maybe your intake is just happy.............

Richard
My first L76 intake had casting flaws around the 3 internal support columns. Mine were open holes that caused the car to idle at 2500RPM. I guess smaller casting flaws could cause a whistle. The one on their now doesn't whistle at all.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WKMCD
My first L76 intake had casting flaws around the 3 internal support columns. Mine were open holes that caused the car to idle at 2500RPM. I guess smaller casting flaws could cause a whistle. The one on their now doesn't whistle at all.

This is more like the whistle of old with factory LS1,6 and Fast that people would experiance.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have a L76 intake whistle?