Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about that. I have a LS2 GTO PS pump and Katech tensioner I can mount to my LS2/LS7 style water pump and see if they are compatible. Its close - I think about 5% of the belt width may be on the curved part of the pulley - I'll check and report back.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Or for that matter - you can swing by and check yourself,(with your PS pump/Alternator).
Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob H
Or for that matter - you can swing by and check yourself,(with your PS pump/Alternator).
I'll come by later this week. We've got some friends in for the weekend, so I'll just come by after work this week sometime.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I'm leaving town on Wednesday - you'll need to come by sunday-tuesday. I just bolted up the tensioner - and about 5% of the belt is on the curved part towards the front - i.e. it hangs over a little. I don't have a pulley for the GTO pump - so I can't get a perfect check. Bottom line, it would likely work, but it would be close to walking off the pulley. If you want to be 100% safe - don't run F-body/GTO stuff with the Vette depth stuff. If I had a picture, I'd post it, but my camera isn't working.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Teching In

I am doing fit measurements for a LS2 GTO engine swap I'm researching and need to know the following dimensions. Because there is so much good information already posted in this thread, I figure the dimensions I need will benefit others if it is posted here.

1. Bottom surface of Mount of GM mounts P/Ns 10260642 and 10260643 to the center line of the crankshaft.
2. Bottom surface of Mounts to the bottom of the block where the pan bolts on.
3. Mount-to-mount bolt hole distance.
4. Mount bolt hole to back of block where the bell housing bolts up.

Thanks.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2-mount-crank-cl-dist.jpg   GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2-mount-mount-dist.jpg   GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2-mount-rear-dist.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Would be happy to help if you could tell me which brackets those PNs were, such as DS or PS, GTO or Vette.
BTW, do you need any brackets? I think I have an extra GTO PS mount that I won't need.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Hey HSV - GTS300

You sound like you know alot about the GTO & Vette LS2. So I was wondering if you could tell me if I could put a 07 Vette Ls2 in a 06 GTO. After reading this thread I see that I would have to change the oil pan but can you tell me what else I would have to change to do the swap
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EPtowing
Hey HSV - GTS300

You sound like you know alot about the GTO & Vette LS2. So I was wondering if you could tell me if I could put a 07 Vette Ls2 in a 06 GTO. After reading this thread I see that I would have to change the oil pan but can you tell me what else I would have to change to do the swap
On an 07 Vette LS2 you'd have to:
a) Remove crankshaft, replace 58x reluctor with 24x reluctor 12559353
b) Remove single bolt camshaft & replace with 3 bolt camshaft, fit camgear 12576407.
c) Remove Vette crank balancer, replace with GTO crank balancer pulley
d) Remove Vette water pump, replace with GTO water pump
e) Remove Vette oilpan, dipstick tube and dipstick, plug dipstick tube hole in the block.....replace with GTO oilpan, GTO dipstick tube and dipstick.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys. Nice thread has helped me plan for my build. I am new to the LSX world. I just picked up my setup which turned out to be an LY6. Building for an 86 Monte Carlo SS. I am ditching the VVT cam, and truck intake. Using the L76 intake with the 317 heads, LS2 chain but not sure of cam yet. I believe I will have plenty of room to run any accessory setup with this engine but my question to you guys is if I ditch the VVT cam switch to the LS2 chain gear bolt etc. which balancer will I need to run? Also with this balancer will I need to swap all other accessories? Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's 3 different belt spacings you can have on any LS engine.

1) Corvette=CTS-V=Pontiac G8 spacing....both belts close to block

2) Fbody=GTO both belts 3/4" further away from the block

3) Truck = VVT both belts run further again away from the block. (1.5" further out than Corvette.

The balancer you use must be matched to the water pump you use, which must be matched to the accessories you use.
eg: You cannot run a Corvette balancer and Corvette water pump with GTO or Truck accessories. The belt spacing will not line up.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sschevyss
I am ditching the VVT cam, and truck intake. Using the L76 intake with the 317 heads, LS2 chain but not sure of cam yet. I believe I will have plenty of room to run any accessory setup with this engine but my question to you guys is if I ditch the VVT cam switch to the LS2 chain gear bolt etc. which balancer will I need to run? Also with this balancer will I need to swap all other accessories? Thanks
If you ditch VVT and truck intake then you can use a normal LS2 front timing cover. There's no need to keep using the truck balancer.

a) Select which accesorry drive set-up has the components in the best locations to suit you (from car platform choices 1 or 2 above). And which accessory drive set-up is most economical to obtain.

b) Get the waterpump and balancer to suit your above choice.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300
On an 07 Vette LS2 you'd have to:
a) Remove crankshaft, replace 58x reluctor with 24x reluctor 12559353
b) Remove single bolt camshaft & replace with 3 bolt camshaft, fit camgear 12576407.
c) Remove Vette crank balancer, replace with GTO crank balancer pulley
d) Remove Vette water pump, replace with GTO water pump
e) Remove Vette oilpan, dipstick tube and dipstick, plug dipstick tube hole in the block.....replace with GTO oilpan, GTO dipstick tube and dipstick.
The Vette motor I have is complete with all the accessory. So couldn't just use all the Vette accessory instead of changing them with all the GTO accessory. The reason I am asking is I found a thief recovery GTO that has no motor in it & I have a complete vette ls2 sitting in my garage that I was thinking about dropping in it.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EPtowing
The Vette motor I have is complete with all the accessory. So couldn't just use all the Vette accessory instead of changing them with all the GTO accessory. The reason I am asking is I found a thief recovery GTO that has no motor in it & I have a complete vette ls2 sitting in my garage that I was thinking about dropping in it.
Thanks for your help
Yes you could use all Vette accessories IF the individual components will clear the car frame and not hit anything.
Measure to find out.
Vette dimensions.

IF lets say the Vette alternator fouls on something in the GTO, then you could still keep most of the Vette accessories and use brackets from the CTS-V or Pontiac G8 to relocate the clashing items.
Vette/CTS-V/G8 all have the same belt spacing away from the block.
CTS-V dimensions

Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

So using the LS2 timing cover it will not hurt to run the Truck balancer and accessories. Thanks.
Am I correct when saying that the L76 intake is the only intake I can use unless I swapped my 317 heads for a cathedral port style head or are there other alternatives besides the fast LSXrt that you can recommend?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM

hey guys, first post here...

thought i'd offer SOEMTHING to this thread, and in turn, ask a question of my own. i am currently installing a 2006 GTO LS2 into a 60-something Malibu and using the LS@ corvette accesories. trial by fire, i have found that we needed the vette balancer and thats on. this customer is starting to grate on me a bit seeing as how he has champagne dreams and a beer can budget (he keeps buying the wrong stuff off ebay - ugh)

he brought me a universal 8-rib A/C compressor and i made a bracketed assembly to attach it to the GTO A/C bracket and aligned it in a manner that now i just have one long belt (as opposed to 2 seperate belts). This was my only option with the compressor he brought me. i dont have any issues with belt alignment, nor belt contact area and/or rotations with the way i have it set up (added an additonal idler).

my problem is this:

he brought me a P/S pump that is brand new, but im not quite sure which LS series motor its for. it bolts up, as they all do, but i have not installed the pulley yet. he brought me the typical 'plastic' factory pulley. but, when i hold it up to the pump, and seems as though it will not line up with the corvette belt alignment. do the corvette LS2's run a smaller pump to accomodate for this? judging by pictures, the pullies all have the same offset. i was hoping to find that the corvette pulley was 'bowled' in order to cup the pump and correct my alignment, but it doesnt seem to be.

i assume i need the corvette pump?

thanks in advance

*EDIT: its an AGR Performance power steering pump. its the one with -10AN return and -6AN feed. these fittings look to go right onto any LS series pump. what i dont have is a part number.

http://www.agrperformance.com/catalog_racing_pumps.php

this is the link off their sight that lists their pumps with AN style fittings. it kinda worries me that theyre a 'universal' style. ugh. im over this car already.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if there's any interest, ill probably make a thread following this build. the car is gorgeous and ive done my best to make the engine bay simple and clean. i am also handbuilding a one-off single turbo setup for this car using a single Garrett GT4088. the car is also running a fully built 4L80E transmission (once again, customer's choice) and we have had to cut out the entire trans tunnel to fit it and will be fabricating a new tunnel. yay. can you tell the excitement level, here? yay.

Last edited by Durdan; 05-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Teching In

A picture of the pump and the pulley would help us ID it. Nevermind, I see you said its an AGR pump. I put a thread together with all the pressure outputs of the various pumps - something to consider as well as the AGR pumps have several output choices. I'd call AGR and ask them which one you have - i.e. what output psi and volume. Here is my thread for your later reference:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-etc.html

The Malibu your building likely needs the higher truck type output - so a GTO pump output would be a little weak, what you have should be ok. Things to keep in mind when you finally get it running if the steering feels too heavy.

Maybe a picture of the setup and the pulley on the motor? We might be able to help better or give you some ideas.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 AM

not to dig an old thread, but i bit the bullet and just put the pulley onto the pump. sure enough, it lines up just fine. it just didnt seem like it would with me holding it up to where i thought it would sit lol
Old 07-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Here's a weird one.

Is the E38 ECU on C6 the same as E38 on Australian LS2 L98?

It is important to me as I want to run a racepak dash (which works with C6 E38 ECU) in an L98 running an Australian E38 in my FD RX-7

Would love an answer from someone who knows.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

The pilot bearing is different.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Ok, sounds like the easier, less expensive, bang for the buck thing to do--LS2/4L80E swap.
So which LS2 fits into an '88 Monte SS the best--GTO, SSR, or corvette? Any of those 3 vehicles come with a 4L80E? If not, where is the best car/place to get one from?

Any help with the "best-part-for-the-job" parts list is appreciated... ....maybe I should start another thread...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2