Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
Here's a weird one.

Is the E38 ECU on C6 the same as E38 on Australian LS2 L98?

It is important to me as I want to run a racepak dash (which works with C6 E38 ECU) in an L98 running an Australian E38 in my FD RX-7

Would love an answer from someone who knows.

Thanks

The Corvette E38 ECU when fitted to another car is NOT compatible with the Racepak dash.

I bought one and fitted it to my FD 6 litre and my tuner cracked the codes but definitely does not work with Racepak dash.

I had to buy sensors etc. Added $$$$ to the build.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC
Ok, sounds like the easier, less expensive, bang for the buck thing to do--LS2/4L80E swap.
So which LS2 fits into an '88 Monte SS the best--GTO, SSR, or corvette? Any of those 3 vehicles come with a 4L80E? If not, where is the best car/place to get one from?

Any help with the "best-part-for-the-job" parts list is appreciated... ....maybe I should start another thread...

Thanks.
Any LS Engine with F-body/GTO Accessiories fits into the Gbody pretty well IMO..that is what I'm using on mine.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Gents,

This is an incredibly detailed thread and right up my alley with what we're trying to do.

Have a gen 1 CTS-V ls2 motor (basically corvette C6 pulley alignment). We're trying to cram a GTO tvs supercharger in there. Facing the issue that the TVS snout pulley is obviously 20mm (3/4) out of alignment (sticking out).

Seems the bracket on the tvs can't be machined down enough to use an offset (inward) pulley so I'm looking at replacing my innovators west 8 rib pulley kit with an innovators west kit for the GTO.

Couple of quick questions for the experts:

1. Can I assume that in an apples to apples comparison a GTO pulley (crank or accessory) will basically bolt up and is merely offset outward by 20mm (3/4")
2. Waterpump is obviously a problem. Will a GTO waterpump with pulley bolt up to a non GTO ls2 motor (basically CTS-V). From what I've read it should.

Really appreciate your inputs on this.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to both your questions. The LS1,2 and 3 mounts are basically the same. It is common for people to put camaro/gto accessories on a corvette or truck motor. Big issue to keep in mind- match all the pulley depths. Alt, PS, crank and water pump/ tensioner all must be from the same depth cars as listed above. The AC is included in this. In your case, you will need all either camaro or gto,(can mix and match) depth accessories.
Bob
Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Oh- since you may be swapping over- I need a cst-v AC compressor and possibly the mount- if you change yours out or are not using yours- please drop me a pm with what you want for it.
Bob
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bob H
Yes to both your questions. The LS1,2 and 3 mounts are basically the same. It is common for people to put camaro/gto accessories on a corvette or truck motor. Big issue to keep in mind- match all the pulley depths. Alt, PS, crank and water pump/ tensioner all must be from the same depth cars as listed above. The AC is included in this. In your case, you will need all either camaro or gto,(can mix and match) depth accessories.
Bob
I'm curious. Is it possible to get away with just replacing brackets for GTO ones instead of the whole accessory? Was trying to avoid going down the path of replacing all accessories.

I know the crank needs changing and water pump.

Trying to do this on a budget as it was a little unexpected.

More than happy to swap my ac for a GTO one But yes I'll keep you in mind sir. Thanks.

Basically from what I've gathered need to swap the following pulleys:
1. Crank for GTO
2. Idler for GTO
3. Possibly P/S pulley for GTO

The rest I'm confused about i.e. can I swap just bracket for P/S, AC and alternator and keep original pulley?

Last edited by ichpen; 08-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

^I think a PN search would give us our answer. Compare the GTO alt to the Vette alt. I don't think the alternator itself is any narrower, so I think brackets alone could help you out there.

Randomly, here's a Vette and GTO water pump:

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...s/IMG_6963.JPG
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Yep, did a part no search. Looks like the breakdown in a nutshell is that part no on pretty much all accessories are different. So no guarantees that my vette accessories will bolt up to a GTO mounting bracket unless someone here has done something similar.

Or I just get some custom offset pulleys made for the accessories.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

It's not typically hard to find someone who wants to swap- try posting in the FS/WTB or on a site like norotors.com and maybe someone running a turbo in a rx7 swap wants a shallower pulley setup vs the gto/f-body?
Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
The engines are identical other than accessories and oil pans. Don't pay the vette tax by getting one out of a C6.
there is a vette tax? what is that?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taknute
there is a vette tax? what is that?
Refers to having to pay alot more for a "corvette motor" than the same thing out of a GTO.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Troux
I may have made a pretty startling discovery. I think the Corvette and GTO LS2s have differently cast blocks. I tried to fit a Vette motor mount bracket onto a GTO LS2 and it doesn't fit due to a protrusion for mounting the GTO AC compressor. The GTO motor mount bracket on the passenger side is differently designed to fit over this extruded bung, though the Vette and GTO have the same driver side motor mount bracket.

Corvette Bracket On GTO LS2:

GTO Bracket On GTO LS2:

As you can see, the place where it hits is a part of the block. In order for the Vette mount to fit, the block itself would have to not have that protrusion. The Vettes do have a different way of mounting the compressor, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of exactly how, or pictures without a compressor.
Hey guys, in regards to this difference in the block casting, is it possible to use a GTO block in a C6 vette? If so, how would it be mounted?
Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

There is no difference in the block casting. However as mentioned there might be a difference in Crank reluctor wheels (24x vs. 58x). I know Lingenfelte makes a converter for the 24x guys to convert the 58x signal down but I don't think they make one to convert up.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Teching In

What about the above mentioned protrusion to mount the GTO AC compressor? It appears to get in the way of the c6 engine mount. I understand 05 c6 have 24x crank reluctor wheels, 06+ have 58x. It seems everything can be converted to run a GTO ls2 in a c6, except for the protrusion pictured above. Am I not seeing something? Thanks guys
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Default G8 accessories mod.

Hi All;

Bringing this back to life because the info here is excellent info for anyone doing a conversion, and this answer might help others looking for other options.

Hoping HSV-GTS-300 or someone else can answer this.

I'm thinking of going with the G8 setup but I'm wondering if I can use the new Corvette water pump that has the inlet on the driver side pn 19180610

Also the G8 alternator has a long pulley is there another one with a normal pulley that would also fit/work?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Teching In

hi all
new to all this swap stuff. most of this is going the wrong way for me i can only use a 5.7ls gto gen3 for my project. can the vet gear be used onto this to get it closer to the block. if i use the lsa water pump as the top hose is on the other side which is what i need would this pump pulley still line up with the vett crank pulley? im not concerned about other accessories as i have to make brackets to get everything in. if this works what other isssues am i looking at.?
cheers

Quick Reply: GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2