Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2

Hi, I'm looking into bastardizing an RX-7 with an LS2, and I found something like 8 GTO LS2s on eBay and only 1 from a Corvette. I did a little research to find out if they were any different, and here's what I found from reading the LS2GTO boards and general performance info:
  • 400 HP (advertised) @ 6000 RPMs (Corvette) vs. 5200 RPMs (GTO)
  • 400 lb-ft (advertised) @ 4400 RPMs (Corvette) vs. 4000 RPMs (GTO)
  • Less restrictive intake manifold on the Corvette (doubt this is true), probably confused with the...
  • Superior intake design. Corvette uses the same short-tubed, front-mounted intake as C5s used, with a "ram air" sort of effect
  • The GTO uses a tube which wraps around to the driver's side, with an airbox sitting near the exhaust manifolds, which leads to...
  • Heat soak issues in the GTO intake, leading to the PCM reportedly pulling timing on the GTO only
  • Exhaust manifold design: The Corvette supposedly uses redesigned manifolds while the GTO retains the LS1 exhaust manifolds
  • Less restrictive exhaust on the Corvette. I assume this is more for audible aesthetics, as GM would want their flagship to be heard before thier budget muscle.
  • Oil pans: frontward sump on the GTO vs. the Corvette's sump being nearer to the flywheel. There may be other design differences in them too. For what it's worth, I've heard the GTOs have had sparse issues of oil surge, while the Corvette's don't.

I also heard the Vettes generally dyno about 10-15HP higher. While some claim the rear-mounted transaxle in the Corvette is much less restrictive, I'd say the exhaust and intake changes would permit enough extra flow for that much more power, and as for making it in a higher rev range, a shorter manifold would make a bit of a difference there, as would intake design, but I doubt they would change that.

Just hoping to see if anyone can negate, backup, or supplement any part of this list for me. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Intake manifolds and throttle bodies are the same.
Intake tubing and filter setup is different.
Advertised power is just marketted differently and understated for both. (440 @ 6000 is probably closer to the truth.)
Engines identical internally.
Oil pans are different.
Also belt driven accessories are different, water pump pulley, balancer, brackets all different. Corvette alternator mounted high...GTO mounted low.
Corvette P/S pump mounted low...GTO mounted high. Both GTO belts run 3/4"
further away from the block.

If indeed you are bastardizing an LS2 into an RX7 all the stuff you talk about with exhaust systems, tranaxles, intake piping, oil surge, heat soak, exhaust manifolds etc is irrelevant.
Pretty sure you should be more concerned about which version of anything actually fits in the car. Then go from there.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300
If indeed you are bastardizing an LS2 into an RX7 all the stuff you talk about with exhaust systems, tranaxles, intake piping, oil surge, heat soak, exhaust manifolds etc is irrelevant.
Pretty sure you should be more concerned about which version of anything actually fits in the car. Then go from there.
This is what I was thinking, and was just gonna confirm it. I was also just a bit curious from the higher-end numbers in the 'Vette. I'm leaning more towards the LS7 anyways.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

The engines are identical other than accessories and oil pans. Don't pay the vette tax by getting one out of a C6.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flyin red TA
The engines are identical other than accessories and oil pans. Don't pay the vette tax by getting one out of a C6.
Troux,

I agree with flyin red TA. All the external issues you mention are non-issues with your swap.

Bob K.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just get the one out of the GTO. Don't pay the vette tax as another member said.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Launching!

Exactly
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Better yet...buy my LS6.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

I'm with the others. Keep in mind if your putting an LS2 in your rx7, you will need custom headers and exhuast anywho, so take that out of the equation. Same goes for the intake. Only thing to consider is the exterior differences in the oil pan. Do your research, see which oil pan fits better (or neither) then equait that into your budget. -Jim
Originally Posted by ThaBirdMan
Exactly
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

something i would look into while swaping the engine into a smaller car is the pulley arangement like hsv-gts-300 stated. the vettes system is closer to the block, this may not be an issue because of the long nose on the rx7s. but it might help later on when it comes to performing maintenance down the road.

brody
Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but does anyone have a picture of both the GTO and Vette LS2 view from the pullies and accessories perspective? I picked up a Vette LS2and will probably need GTO accessories.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Do you guys know if the balancer is the same size on both units or will I need a GTO balancer?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks by the way
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For LS swaps into an RX7, most will need an F-Body Oil Pan to fit the aftermarket subframes for these cars. Some are working on an LS2 pan but I'm not sure of their progress.

D
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FadedFD
Do you guys know if the balancer is the same size on both units or will I need a GTO balancer?
Offset -- distance from the block where the belts run is different between the 2 styles by about 3/4".

Corvette WP

GTO WP

Corvette LS2

If you wanted to keep your Corvette balancer and thin nosed water pump pulley.....yet have GTO style placement of accessories then there is a new option.

G8-GT L76
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Good thread. I have an LS2 out of a trailblazer SS and just got an LS2 water pump which looks just like the corvette style. I already bought a tensioner(which I think is for an Fbody) and I just have to bolt the parts to the block to see what clearances I am running.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

agreed, only thing slowin the gto down is weight.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

well my 330 horse stock ta. beats a ls2 gto more then i beat a ls2 vete.
LS1 best way to go.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Damn I guess I should have read up before I dove in and bought the Vette engine. That's my engine up there with the Vette accessories.... Does that mean I will have to sell all the accessories and buy all new GTO parts?

Quick Reply: GTO LS2 vs. Corvette LS2