Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

vendors advice needed, Im looking to buy a 408ci lq9

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default vendors advice needed, Im looking to buy a 408ci lq9

I've decided im looking to purchase a 408 lq9 assembled short block, I have already been qouted 4,475ish from one vendor. But texas speed has really peaked my intrest with this

Item Detail

Name:
402/408cid LS1/LQ9 or LSX Iron Stroker Short Block
Item#:
25-402IronSB

Our 408 short-blocks use new GM 6.0L or GM Performance Parts iron-blocks! The standard price includes a fully-assembled GM 6.0L short-block with a forged Eagle LS1 4.00" stroke crankshaft, Scat H-Beam 6.125" connecting rods with ARP's 8740 connecting rod bolts, Durabond camshaft bearings, and Clevite main and rod bearings. The price also includes your choice of Diamond Racing -2cc flat-top, -10cc dished, or -15cc dished piston set, Mahle Motorsports -12cc dished piston set, or Wiseco -2cc, -8cc, -10cc, -15cc, or -32cc dished piston set. Any of our TSP exclusive Diamond Racing 4.010" piston sets already have valve reliefs to accomodate a conventional LS1 cylinder head or the L92 cylinder heads! All Wiseco pistons have a valve pocket to accomodate all GM production cylinder heads, as well as aftermarket cylinder heads! We build our iron stroker engines with our exclusive 4.010" bore pistons to allow for additional cylinder cleanup in the future, as well as maximum cylinder wall thickness. Any in-stock iron stroker will use our 4.010" bore pistons which nets 404 cid, but a 4.030" bore piston is available for no additional charge if you prefer. You do have the option of upgrading to the Scat H-beam or Eagle H-beam 6.125" connecting rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts for an additional $80. These connecting rods are rated for up to 900 flywheel horsepower! Other custom build items are available. We also offer Lunati and Callies crankshafts, as well as Lunati, Callies, and Oliver connecting rods. Feel free to give us a call, and we will be more than happy to put an itemized estimate together for you! We also offer additional discounts if you pay via a cashier's check or wire transfer. We do keep many 408 LQ9 short-blocks in stock and ready to ship! If you purchase one of our in-stock short-blocks, it can ship as soon as the next business day! Give us a call for further details!

Options

Pistons:
Mahle -12cc Pistons Diamond -15cc Pistons Diamond -2cc Pistons Diamond -10cc Pistons Diamond -28cc Dish, Up To 25 psi Boost (Add $200.00) Diamond Racing Full Custom Piston Set (Add $350.00) Wiseco -2cc Flat-Top Wiseco -8cc Dish Wiseco -10cc Dish Wiseco -15cc Dish Wiseco -32cc Dish

Total Seal Plasma Moly/Napier 2nd Ring Set Total Seal Steel Top Ring Set (Add $95.00)

Rods:
Eagle 6.125" H-Beam with ARP 8740 Rod Bolts Eagle 6.125" H-Beam with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts (Add $80.00) Scat 6.125" H-Beam with ARP 8740 Rod Bolts Scat H-beam with Upgraded ARP 2000 Bolts (Add $80.00) Callies 6.125" LS1 Compstar Rods (Add $140.00) Lunati H-Beam Rods (Add $300.00) Lunati Pro Billet 6.125" Connecting Rods (Add $800.00) Oliver Billet 6.125" Connecting Rods (Add $1,000.00)

Crankshaft:
Eagle LS1 Forged Crankshaft Callies CompStar Crankshaft (Add $200.00) Callies Dragonslayer Crankshaft (Add $400.00) Lunati LS1 Forged Crankshaft (Add $1,100.00)

Optional Main Stud Kit:
Factory GM Main Cap Bolts ARP Main Stud Kit (Add $188.00)

Choose Engine Block:
GM LQ9 6.0L Iron-Block GM Performance Parts LSX Iron-Block w/ Install Kit (Add $2,324.00)

Your Price

Base Price/ea.
$3,599.99
$3,475.00
Your Price: (customized)
$3,475.00
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

99blancoss the reason i started a new post is because my last one was missleading
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

99blancoss, you stated that "With nitrous you dont want the cheapest piston and combo you can build."

i understand that, so what type of pistons do i need? What parts are better than others? im looking for specifics. Explain to me how you can built me a motor that will be the best bang for the buck vs. Texas speed or other sponsers. Not trying to be aggravating, but I want to get the best deal. That doesn't mean Im going to buy the cheapest either.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Im am very naive in reference to what i need, I want to have a 408 motor that can make about 500ish rwhp on motor and about 700ish+ with nitrous(200ish shot). Keep in mind I want to still have the ability drive this car on the street quite a bit. I want to have a really extreme sounding cam, and I want the motor to be built for nitrous. I would imagine that I need forged internals(what type), is that true? I have patriot heads on the car, I planed on having them ported and polished with a good valve job( is this what i should do)? What parts on my engine would I be able to use during the engine swap( I currently have the ls6 block. What other parts would i need to buy, and what do you advise to use for my setup.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's against board rules and would be unethical for me to compare my engine to that of another. All I can do is point out the attributes to my engines.

The Wiseco piston we use was specifically designed by my builder for his engines. All 4.030 pistons are not the same, not even Wiseco. There are many models. Get the wrong one and you can have premature wear and oil consumption.

The Wiseco (we use) is regarded as one of the best for this application. Diamond is good as well and less money but with that less money comes not as good as a piston (for big boost and n2o applications). Thats not to say it isn't a good piston because it is. Ring land thickness is the difference and when your spraying that thickness matters.

I only offer certain compromises to my signature series of engines and for a reason. The crank and rods and that's it. If you price compare you will see that in most cases my engine is the same or less than a competitor. So then it comes to the builders reputation and I use someone who is regarded as one of the best in the industry.
That's not to say there aren't other good builders, I use HKE and only HKE. You can research his reputation and you will find exemplary work as well as a leader in the industry.

We don't do run of the mill production work, our engines are built specifically for each customer with his/her use intended. For this reason I don't keep engines on a shelf like a boxed part. If I did I would have a need to sell you what I have and not what you want.
My engines take a while as well, good things come to those who wait and take patience. Please keep that in mind. I wont make promises I can't keep. I know part availability and it's effects on completion times. I try and paint an accurate picture even if it means losing a sale.

Just keep in mind nitrous eats engines. It's not easy on them at all. My builds are based on my need for an engine to take the abuse that I dish out. If I feel safe thrashing it then I feel good about selling it.

And again this is just statements about my business and not a reflection of another vendor.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

I know this sounds a little crazy but do you warranty your engines since you are confident in them?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HKE does not have a blanket written warranty per say. How ever if there is an issue with their workmanship they will take care of it without issue.

We have no control of what an end user does and so can not blindly guaranty and engine. Tuning is crucial to an engines life as well as proper oiling. You go out and frag a piston because your running lean and detonated the crap out of it and how is that my fault? Its things like that that we have no control over.

If an engine I sell has been built improperly yes I will take care of it.

You know whats interesting is that all warranties I've seen are voided if the car is raced or a power add is used.( In other words using a racing engine as it was intended will void the warranty)

Instead of telling you yes its warrantied and then adding a bunch of fine print to disqualify the warranty I tell you like it is.

HKE puts an enormous amount of pride into each build, he stands behind his work.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for considering our short-block Mr. Supersiz3!

TSP uses only the highest quality components in our short-blocks. We don't sell components we don't absolutely trust. We typically sell Diamond pistons in our engines, but we also offer Wiseco pistons custom built for us at NO EXTRA CHARGE!

I want to make one thing very clear though, we have had really great luck with the Diamond pistons in tons & tons of applications. Every TSP engine is carefully assembled to specific specs that we've developed from years of building ls based engines.

With a TSP short-block you can have your choice of Wiseco or Diamond pistons. That being said I definately think Diamond pistons are every bit as good a quality as Wiseco pistons. You really can't go wrong with either!! The truth is Wiseco pistons are actually just a hair cheaper than Diamonds when you spend the money to buy in large quantities. We currently have 40 sets of Wiseco pistons in stock or in route.

Statements like we custom build each short-block to the customer is a common statement around the internet. I guess it's a good statement for someone who can't stock engines, but TSP stocks 50 short-blocks at a time! When you can keep 50 different short-blocks in stock it's easy to have something on the shelf that fits 95% of the time. However if the customer requires something custom we can build that specific setup in approximately 3 weeks!!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com

Last edited by Jason 98 TA; 11-04-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arrow

I would agree with Jason and say as well that I use Diamond and Wiseco and have said that in many posts. They both have made their pistons right for the LS1 for a long time when others did not. The "best" piston is something that changes with each application. I have some favorites with both Wiseco and Diamond depending on what app it is.

We do a lot of extreme custom deals however and there are parts that no one can get in any 3 weeks that's for sure, no disrespect to TSP or anyone else, so saying a given shop can build anything a customer wants in that time is simply not always possible. We have people wanting center-counter-weight Sonny Bryant or SCAT Billet cranks and you just have to wait. Callies as well doesn't have every crank on the shelf that they have in their catalogue.

Then there are other parts not always available like certain cylinder heads etc. If you only steer customers towards shelf parts that are in stock then you can get stuff done pretty fast and I try to do that more and more but there are those that want things that are simply not that easy to get and for those you just have to wait.

Then there are customers that want to do something more crazy like a 400 shot even though it's on easy to get shelf parts and you set up an engine way different for that in many ways but as long as the parts are available it can be done in no more time but just much different clearances and ring gaps etc.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Erik is building my motor right now. it was a very well thought out 408 that will be receiving a large n2o shot, and he is the only builder i felt worth my money. and like he said it does take time to build it right, but once its done it is a product that is second to none... thanks erik racer7088 and chris 99blancoss and i cant wait to strap that beast into my car
Old 11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If humans are involved in anything that leaves room for error. Case closed.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 PM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Yes as always and even if humans aren't involved!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

If you build a motor correctly, what is the biggest shot of nitrous you could put on a streetable 408 "safely".
Old 11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Arrow

Depends on the top rings and what gap they are at and what piston you are using and what the NOS tuneup is. We have some guys running at 400 shot with hellfires and the K394F3 and one has for 2.5 years. We are freshening that engine and everything looks great. We have other stuff melted all the way through from a 200 shot only used a few times but where people didn't know what they were doing as in too much timing, too little fuel, too hot a plug. Most engine and machine shops around here repairing street and hobby type performance engines are repairing NOS damage 9 times out of 10.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suprsiz3_ls1
If you build a motor correctly, what is the biggest shot of nitrous you could put on a streetable 408 "safely".

Erik built my motor and I ran it for 3 years spraying anywhere from 150 to 350 on it every chance I got.

He is VERY good and well worth the wait.

Quick Reply: vendors advice needed, Im looking to buy a 408ci lq9