Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Question on forging the bottom end .

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Question on forging the bottom end .

I have a trailblazer ss with the 6.0 LS2 motor . I am trying to determine what would be the best way economically to get my motor forged .

I have never been down this road before and just wanted to see if it would be a better idea to go with a shortblock that has the forged bottomend or are there forged bottomend packages that I can buy or would it be best to have a shop pull my motor and tear it down and install all forged parts (other than the crank )

Thanks in advance for any feedback .
Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shoot me a pm,we got some nice forged rotating assemblies with stock and steel cranks
Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1blownss
I have a trailblazer ss with the 6.0 LS2 motor . I am trying to determine what would be the best way economically to get my motor forged .

I have never been down this road before and just wanted to see if it would be a better idea to go with a shortblock that has the forged bottomend or are there forged bottomend packages that I can buy or would it be best to have a shop pull my motor and tear it down and install all forged parts (other than the crank )

Thanks in advance for any feedback .

I would ask why you think you need a forged crank/rods? Just cuz you want one? Or because you plan on stepping up in power? Your best bet is to buy a shortblock already assembled from one of the many quality vendors here on the board.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen414
I would ask why you think you need a forged crank/rods? Just cuz you want one? Or because you plan on stepping up in power? Your best bet is to buy a shortblock already assembled from one of the many quality vendors here on the board.
But that would cost double for the same end result.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS6427
But that would cost double for the same end result.
Yeah, but you are taking into account that the member knows how to build motor's, and I'm not sure that he does. I mean, no offense here at all, but the question that was asked kind of lets me know that he does not know how to. Again, there is NO offense meant in that statement, as there are probaly 1/2 of the members here on the board do not know how to.

And, the cost would NOT be double. Have you seen the already assembled shortblocks, and what they are going for? CHEAP!! $3500-$5000 for an assembled shortblock.

SDPC has a 402 CI LS2 @ $4300 already assmebled.

Now, if you were to do it your own:
$500 for rods
$500-$600 for Pistons
$800 for a crank.
$100+ for rings
$100+ for bearings

Now you need machine work: Hot tank, install cam bearings/freeze plugs, bore/hone, align hone, deck, balance. $1000-$1500 in machine work right there. So, now your running tally is: $3100-$3600 for an unassembled shortblock that YOU have to put together.

You also have to take into account that if he bought a shortblock, he could SELL his shortblock for a couple hundred bucks to get some of his money back to help offset the cost. So, really he is out only @ $500 for having someone like GM build his motor
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Teching In

I am running a magnuson blower at about 7-7.5lbs of boost . I also am running Methanol Injection. I would just like to know why the knock started on the stock bottomend . I would like to know if I ever decided to go up in size in a 122 magnuson blower and blow 10-12lbs of boost and I have been told time and time again ...forge the bottomend because you do not want to happen again what just happened now .

Originally Posted by Gen414
Old 12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your description of the noise sounds kind of like a bearing issue... thats usually more related to oiling than it is to forged internals.

As far as the shortblock goes, I think Gen414 is right, for a DIY'er it isn't worth building your own unless you have a machine shop. I've had my eye on some forged shortblocks for a few months now, and TSP and XHP (look in the sponsors forum) have the best deals so far.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1blownss
I am running a magnuson blower at about 7-7.5lbs of boost . I also am running Methanol Injection. I would just like to know why the knock started on the stock bottomend . I would like to know if I ever decided to go up in size in a 122 magnuson blower and blow 10-12lbs of boost and I have been told time and time again ...forge the bottomend because you do not want to happen again what just happened now .

I agree with SmokinV8 in that it sounds like a bearing problem, which in turn coudl have been an oiling issue, again, as he pointed out. Now, it COULD be other things, but probaly are bearings. And yes, with a quality built bottom end made up of quality parts, you can hammer on with loads of boost with no worries. Now, you do have too look at your tune as such as well, as you get into detonation with boost, and you can have the best parts money can buy and your still gonna break stuff! So, it goes hand in hand.

Quick Reply: LS2 Question on forging the bottom end .