Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stock Cube Bad Ass LS3 into Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Stock Cube Bad *** LS3 into Trans Am

I am proud to share with you guys and girls here on tech my new build! I will be swapping an 08 LS3 into my Trans Am! The build is being carried out by All Out Performance of Springfield, MO., by my friend, and Astronaut Farmer Wes Choate.

I will be working with a select few shops with this, including Vengeance Racing using a custom LS3 camshaft and their Ported LSXr intake manifold. I will be using TEA for their CNC'd LS3 pieces as I have had EXCELLENT luck with them and Vengeance in the past. Midwest Chassis and Performance's Eric Vicary has built me an awesome rear suspension to go along with my existing 12 bolt rear. Great Prices, and a hard working gear head! Very cool guy! The remainder of the suspension set up will be ordered through All Out Performance, and I will give shop info through PM as per Forum Rules. The transmission and Rear End assembly was carried out by Terry @ CAT in springfield as well. Great guy to deal with, and is one of the best tranny guys around. If you are in the SW missouri area or N.Ark , Tulsa, OK., or KC, I would definitely not hesitate on giving him a call for his 6 speeds... top notch. info upon PM.

Myself, or Wes (greatwhitess) will post pics throughout the build, and I will submit info as it comes together. The goals for the set up are to build a potent street brawler and weekend track rat. I wanted an all motor build again, and almost went FI, but changed my mind at the last second because I was really wanting to try and push the envelope with the new LS3.

I will post a little more information about the combo tonight, Followed by a FS post liquidating the remainder of my LS1 parts that powered the car last year. Lots of TOP OF THE LINE LS parts with LOW mileage and killer Pricing...

This looks to be a very fun, exciting build! Hope you all enjoy!
Brad
Old 03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool ....take a lot of pics , good luck with the build
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Man! I will get as many pics as I can! But I am at the mercy of the shop right now, considering I am over a 1000 miles away in Louisiana...
Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Im very interested in this.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Launching!

I cant wait to see how this is going to turn out. good luck brad. and when you get it done, bring it by conway sometime.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont worry O.D., I plan on some Little Rock drag racing for sure. When are you going to start camming your car? Soon I hope.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Launching!

I want to do this so bad! I will definitely be watching this thread!
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what those heads flow?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Will be watching...keep us updated please...
Old 03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

In the process of an L92 swap in my car. Good luck, Keep us posted on how she runs. I'm curious about that LSXR intake.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Changes

Well,
As many of you know, either from personal experience or watching builds develop from your friends or other threads, changes are always made.
As is the case here, the Cylinder heads that I ended up running, aren't being sourced through TEA as was originally planned, but from Richard @ WCCH. I got an awesome deal on some of his heads from a fellow member here on tech, and decided to give them a go. Nothing against the awesome TEA heads, but this deal was just to good to pass up, and I have nothing but respect for both companies. Hopefully I will see a TEA headed build in the future to compare results! Back to the heads!

First, they will be sent to Richard where he will pour the chambers for CC data, and also to refurbish some valves and such from the previous owner. Great price on the clean up, and he is an awesome guy to work with! Really stands behind his work!

The valves will all be surfaced, and the heads will be milled to yield the desired chamber volume, and after the refurishing is completed, will be sent to All Out Performance in Springfield, MO.

I also wanted to thank the guys who have purchased the parts I had from the previous build. The TEA ported FAST manifold, BlueMaxx throttle body, and Vindicator Camshaft are all going to a good home in Kentucky..
The TEA Stage II LS6 heads, and Forged 347 are both sold locally here in Springfield. And the QTP headers, priced at 500.00 plus shipping, YELLA TERRA UL rockers, priced @ 290.00 plus shipping, and Comp hardened 7.400" pushrods, priced @ 100.00 are all pending as well. I also have an LS6 Valley pan conversion priced @ 50.00, BORLA Fully Adjustable catback for 400 shipped, and a QTP 4" electric cutout, complete with motor, and switches for 125.00 shipped. The cut out motor itself has the bottom chewed up from curbs and such, but it seals perfectly, and doesnt hinder its performance.. but its priced accordingly too!

As far as pictures, I will update that as soon as I get my parts in, the shortblock is in transit now, and should be here this week, and the LSXr manifold will tentatively be released in April.... we will see.

I might also have the flow-matched 42# injectors for sale as well, but thats tentative at best... I am also in the market for the FTP 85mm lid if anyone has one for sale.. pm me your best price!

later!
Brad
Old 03-09-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome results on the E85 2SLO4ME!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

QA1 shocks and SLP lid are going to Conway! Hope you enjoy em' O.D.! Get that car to hook and really start messing up some Mustangs!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, more discoveries...
First, I found out why my car was always having a problem with it's "tune"...
Well, it was never the tune at all, but rather two faulty injectors... Pulled the heads, fuel... Lots of it in the respective cylinders. We should have picked up to that with the color change in the primaries, but the car didn't run that often either, and was always down and away from the shop with broken parts(clutch, rearend, tranny..).
With the watchful eye of the shop in control, these demons will finally be put to rest, and those injectors are gone... Lesson learned, buy new injectors when changing size.

Next was the LS7 lifter. I bought a set of these brand new for this build, and used nothing but new parts for the engine. Yet during disassembly, it was discovered that one of the pins for the roller had come loose, and almost seized the lifter in it's bore... Thankfully no damage, and a replacement was picked up. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
Awesome results on the E85 2SLO4ME!
Thanks, E85 is really some amazing stuff when used as a performance enhancer.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, I was referring to my old 347 in the above post...not the LS3, just in case one was confused...
Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Launching!

brad, when you get the car painted and your body work done, you better post up pics. im serious.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Ha, Od beating "mustangs", maybe one day....LOL jk. Brad Oh my god I can not wait, and Yes Guys All Out Performance is amazing. I will be going there for all my performance and tuning needs. I live near little rock, and it's totally worth the drive!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What happened with this build? Any updates?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by team39763
What happened with this build? Any updates?
Brad decided to go a differnet direction with the TA so the LS3 was sold with bigger plans in mind.

Quick Reply: Stock Cube Bad Ass LS3 into Trans Am