Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

schwanke engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
This is the stupidest thing I have heard yet. So your gonna drop $3k+ on a built short block & then tear it down, potientially voiding any type of warranty from the motor builder just to double check their work? Why not just spend the $3k on parts & build your own damn motor then??

When people buy a assembled short block from a company they expect it done right. Period. Yes, mistakes can happen & if they do it's the shops responsibility to help the customer correct it. NO ONE should have to tear down a brand new short block & double check all the tolerances. The shop selling the motor should have built it properly from square one. It should not be a customers responsibility to make sure everything is within spec.

WTF is the point of people offering complete short blocks if they are building them like ****? Whats the point if every customer is expected to tear it down & double check the work he just paid to be done. I'd expect to double, hell triple check my own work & tolerances if I'm building myself, but not if I'm ordering a ASSEMBLED engine advertised as ready to drop in.

Having to double check tolerances on a brand new freshly built engine supposedly done by professionals is unacceptable.

Thank you Sir. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Last edited by ls 2 goat; 10-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

This is the stupidest thing I have heard yet. So your gonna drop $3k+ on a built short block & then tear it down, potientially voiding any type of warranty from the motor builder just to double check their work? Why not just spend the $3k on parts & build your own damn motor then??

When people buy a assembled short block from a company they expect it done right. Period. Yes, mistakes can happen & if they do it's the shops responsibility to help the customer correct it. NO ONE should have to tear down a brand new short block & double check all the tolerances. The shop selling the motor should have built it properly from square one. It should not be a customers responsibility to make sure everything is within spec.

WTF is the point of people offering complete short blocks if they are building them like ****? Whats the point if every customer is expected to tear it down & double check the work he just paid to be done. I'd expect to double, hell triple check my own work & tolerances if I'm building myself, but not if I'm ordering a ASSEMBLED engine advertised as ready to drop in.

Having to double check tolerances on a brand new freshly built engine supposedly done by professionals is unacceptable.
Right on the money..........................
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

im sorry but i have never ever heard of anyone buying a short block and just throwing it in. If i wanted to certify my motor lasting forever i would sure as hell check all specs on considering its a 2 hour procedure.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by evangto87
sigh people being lazy is just ridiculous. So you mean to tell me you would rather buy a motor, drop it in, then potentially have an issue later on that cant be proven as shop error instead of spend 2 hours of your god damn life inspecting the short block? Please. How lazy can one person get? I take it you have never built a short block before because you would know how easy it is to just double check things. By the way. Schwankes deal on there 415 for 3200 is insane. It would cost you more then that for all parts and machining doing it yourself. Trust me i know. So to be that ignorant and not double check specs with a micrometer is just plain lazy.
So just because this is an insane deal your going to put down your hard earned cash for this reguardless if the frickin' thing runs or not!? Please......................thats like when people just buy something they really don't need just cause it was "ON SALE" or buying a product that is super cheap and also super cheaply made. Wow............somebody must have money to throw away!
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sigh people being lazy is just ridiculous. So you mean to tell me you would rather buy a motor, drop it in, then potentially have an issue later on that cant be proven as shop error instead of spend 2 hours of your god damn life inspecting the short block? Please. How lazy can one person get? I take it you have never built a short block before because you would know how easy it is to just double check things. By the way. Schwankes deal on there 415 for 3200 is insane. It would cost you more then that for all parts and machining doing it yourself. Trust me i know. So to be that ignorant and not double check specs with a micrometer is just plain lazy.
Your blinded by stupidity obviously. But hey, if you dont mind buyin from guys that you have to double check to ensure things are built properly, go for it. I myself will buy from a place I trust to build the damn thing right the first time.

If I'm gonna have to double check everything I'm gonna save some money & build the damn thing myself & document all tolerances/clearances throughout the build.

Bottom line point blank is NO customer should have to go thru & check out a assembled short block from a professional shop. PERIOD. It doesnt come down to a lazy customer as you attempt to state. It comes down to shops doin their ****** job right & not selling **** to their customers.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls 2 goat
Thank you Sir. I was just about to rip this guy a new *** hole but you beat me to it. Guys a ******* idiot.
Guy must be a of the said company is all I can figure??
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

no tear me a new *******. Please i insist on hearing your words of wisdom towards me since it sounds like you know so much about engine building. Tell me how much it costs to build your own short block. If you would like i can put together a list of buying parts and paying to have everything balanced and machined properly and it will dwarf the price of the sponsors costs for there short blocks and its not even assembled.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Guy must be a of the said company is all I can figure??
you have got to be kidding me sir?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:13 AM
9 Second Club

no tear me a new *******. Please i insist on hearing your words of wisdom towards me since it sounds like you know so much about engine building. Tell me how much it costs to build your own short block. If you would like i can put together a list of buying parts and paying to have everything balanced and machined properly and it will dwarf the price of the sponsors costs for there short blocks and its not even assembled.
So why are you buying a engine from them then if your such a "master" builder and know all the clearances and procedures to build an LSX motor?! Man how old are you...........12?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

block - $800
Piston Kit - $650
Eagle 4 inch crank - $900
Rods - $500 (w/ 2000 bolts)
Bearings $300
Balancing - $200-300
Boring - $150-300
Sonic Testing to make sure block can be bored out enough - $150

God damn thats already $700 more then the short block costs and its not even assembled yet. Yea i think i can spend 2 hours of my life double checking the work. If you people are that lazy and ignorant to save a **** load of money not building it on your own and not re check specs just to certify everything is in order then i will rest my case here.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Well it also appears you get what you pay for as well.

And for the record it doesnt dwarf the cost of a built engine. Only if this particular sponsor is the only pricing you have ever seen. Yea, they have awsome pricing but so far I have yet to see it prove it's worth.

Look around at others short block offers, see the differences in price. Now look at the upgrade this sponsor offers. Once you upgrade to the same parts others offer the price is about the same.

And thst price is the same as someone can build one themselves if they have the abillity. Most people buy assembled cause they dont have the ability or just want a ready to drop in short block built by professionals.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

So why are you buying a engine from them then if your such a "master" builder and know all the clearances and procedures to build an LSX motor?! Man how old are you...........12?
Im buying an engine from them because it costs a good amount money less to then to build on your own. Your getting a great deal from not just them but from any sponsor. Im shocked how people really cant see my point of view on this. Saving over 1k is definately worth 2 hours of my life rechecking a couple clearances.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it also appears you get what you pay for as well.

And for the record it doesnt dwarf the cost of a built engine. Only if this particular sponsor is the only pricing you have ever seen. Yea, they have awsome pricing but so far I have yet to see it prove it's worth.

Look around at others short block offers, see the differences in price. Now look at the upgrade this sponsor offers. Once you upgrade to the same parts others offer the price is about the same.

And thst price is the same as someone can build one themselves if they have the abillity. Most people buy assembled cause they dont have the ability or just want a ready to drop in short block built by professionals.
I have built several short blocks for both me and friends cars. The ONLY reason im buying a short block from a sponsor is to save money. I have no doubt in my mind i can build myself a short block because i already have.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

block - $800
Piston Kit - $650
Bearings $300
Balancing - $200-300
Boring - $150-300

God damn thats already $700 more then the short block costs and its not even assembled yet. Yea i think i can spend 2 hours of my life double checking the work. If you people are that lazy and ignorant to save a **** load of money not building it on your own and not re check specs just to certify everything is in order then i will rest my case here.
LMFAO, to save a **** load my ***. Look at the components used to build the standard 348 on their site it's listed at like $1800 for lower end parts. Your not getting Callies rods, Diamond pistons, top of the line rings.

You wanna buy a budget motor, more power to you. If I'm gonna drop coin on a motor build I'm buyin top of the line components. Like I said you get what you pay for.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

block - $800
Piston Kit - $650
Bearings $300
Balancing - $200-300
Boring - $150-300

You're going to need more than that to assemble that motor champ.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Really why do sponsors even sell shortblocks? They must all be idiots right. According to this kid all you have to do is buy your components, sleep at a holiday inn express, and the next morning you're an engine builder.....
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Launching!

I have build may engines for racing and if I sell you a unit and you remove parts I put on like bearing caps or mains I would voild the warrenty. Because I don't know if you put it back togehter right or not. Check all you want but remove or tighten any part and I would not stand behind it at all. Even if you removed a cover..what happens if it leaks oil is that may fault...you removed the cover. I am not knocking anyone but come on you pay for short block you should not need to check piston bore or bearings or torque. my .02
Old 10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

In the process of doing that now seeing as how I got fucked by 2 current sponsors. Its expensive as all hell but its going to be well worth it. Also why by a short block to tear it down and check everything. If engine building/machining is all a company does, shouldn't they be damn good at it? Come on man your arguement doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Oh and how many motors have you put together???? Please do tell master bulider.
First of all. Enough with the childish name calling. Its not proving anything. My point is.... if your going to save money buying an already built short block... knowing that every company CAN and WILL make a mistake in there entire 19382479283 years of business, why would u just not rule out that YOUR motor isnt that ONE that is bad? This is in no way me trying to argue. This is me just trying to understand logic. I have been around various different engine builds for years. Im young but very maticulous. I dont like knowing that i dont know what the tolerances and clearances are on my motor that i plan on spinning to 7500 rpm. Call me an idiot. Call me 12 yrs old. Call me whatever you want to make yourselves feel better. It doesnt bother me at all. So if your plan is to just buy a short block and throw it in and chance loosing many parts you invested in. Going through a lawsuit with the sponsor etc. Then go ahead. I would rather spend 2 hours just checking clearances making sure everything is to spec. If there isnt i can call the sponsor and from there arrange a calm and collected solution rather then get into a **** match about point fingers and who did this and who did that. If no one can see my point of view on this then i have no further words. This is not me defending sponsors... this is me defending common sense.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and BTW my block, yes, BLOCK costs more than your whole damn build. Please do tell me more about expenses.
What BLOCK are u referring to? Im comparing the compenents listed in there advertisement for a 415 ci short block for 3200. I listed the price of every part that come in there build and just parts alone totals more then a mailed to your door short block.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the name calling dude. **** just gets me pissed. Last question for you. Did you take your car apart after you bought it and verify everything? How bout your TV? Better yet Computer? Wanna make sure its got the intel processor and **** in there right? I mean the sticker on the outside and Company backing means nothing right?
You get an untouchable warranty for that kinda stuff. You dont get any warranty for buying a short block. Even the sponsors say that. You cant put a warranty on performance.

Quick Reply: schwanke engines