Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

WARNING: if order Federal Mogul pistons

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009 | 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default WARNING: if order Federal Mogul pistons

If you order federal mogul pistons ,thats Speed Pro and Sealed Power you could be in for a long long wait .I ordered a set of pistons back in July,and have yet to receive them .So if your planing a build around there pistons ,you could end like me, frustrated and disgusted with FEDERAL MOGUL .There supposed to ship them by end of next week ,but I don't believe them,Ive got bad feeling, because they have lied a number of times before.IF anyone knows of a manufacturer that has a hypereutectic Flat top 4.030 bore let me know.I will keep you posted if and when they deliver!
Old 10-14-2009 | 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

I don't know what kind of pricing you got on the cast pistons, but if you are interested in comparing, Mahle's powerpak forged pistons which include rings, pins, and locks may be close enough in price once you add all the odds and ends up. They usually ship in a day or two... Let me know if you'd like a quote. Also, a couple of my vendors are showing stock on a 4.030 hyper piston, so if something falls through, I may be able to help there as well.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 10-14-2009 | 11:35 PM
On The Tree

cancel your order get your money back and scrounge up some dough for better pistons theres suck and are heavy . just my .02 might be a sign though
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01FireTurd
cancel your order get your money back and scrounge up some dough for better pistons theres suck and are heavy . just my .02 might be a sign though

LMAO let us know how ya feel brotha
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by omc8
If you order federal mogul pistons ,thats Speed Pro and Sealed Power you could be in for a long long wait .I ordered a set of pistons back in July,and have yet to receive them .So if your planing a build around there pistons ,you could end like me, frustrated and disgusted with FEDERAL MOGUL .There supposed to ship them by end of next week ,but I don't believe them,Ive got bad feeling, because they have lied a number of times before.IF anyone knows of a manufacturer that has a hypereutectic Flat top 4.030 bore let me know.I will keep you posted if and when they deliver!
If I can make a recomendation, I went with the Mahle power pack, forged pistons on my 6.0 build. 4.030 pistons, with valve reliefs, wrist pins, rings etc. Very happy with the product. running these pistons with L92s, TSP 233/239 cam. No PTV problems.
Old 10-15-2009 | 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by omc8
place i get em from usually ships within next business day, but i always call to verify if they physically have them in stock

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
I don't know what kind of pricing you got on the cast pistons, but if you are interested in comparing, Mahle's powerpak forged pistons which include rings, pins, and locks may be close enough in price once you add all the odds and ends up. They usually ship in a day or two... Let me know if you'd like a quote. Also, a couple of my vendors are showing stock on a 4.030 hyper piston, so if something falls through, I may be able to help there as well.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane, are the mahles pressed to stock rods like the speed pro's?
the speed pros' are around 400$ shipped with moly rings,wrist pins. use oe wrist pin diameter, not .927.

Originally Posted by 01FireTurd
i got no problem with said heavy pistons with a 490rw 7k rpm n/a motor, that has seen 200 dose on ocassion and have around 38k miles
Old 10-15-2009 | 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks,
Shane
Well Shane this is my build I'm using a 04 LQ9 short block 30 over, stock crank and rods.The cost of the Speed Pro pistons and rings was 362 dollars delivered which may not happen this year.Couple of reasons I have for not canceling my order up til now is number 1. I,m already over budget on this build.and going forged wasn't in plan .and number 2. I have a concern about piston slap with forged.The only other 4.030 hyper flat top Ive found are Kieth Black pistons and rings are over 600 dollars.So if you could get me a price on what your vendors offer and those Mahle powerpac ,that would be great,thanks Gregg
Old 10-15-2009 | 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

Gregg, The Mahle's will not have piston slap. That is one of the best things about those particular pistons. I will PM you a price on a set and check on the other cast ones as well.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 10-16-2009 | 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gregg, The Mahle's will not have piston slap. That is one of the best things about those particular pistons. I will PM you a price on a set and check on the other cast ones as well.

Thanks,
Shane
what is the compression height and wrist pin diameter of these mahle pistons?
Old 10-16-2009 | 06:39 PM
FormerVendor

The particular part number is LS1340030F04. It is for stock rod, stock stroke applications. The compression height is 1.340 they are for stock .945 pins, have -4cc valve reliefs, and weigh 404g ea.

Mahle's part numbers are easy to translate:
first 3 characters are the engine family LS1, L92, LS7 etc...
second 3 are the compression height 340=1.340", 105=1.105", etc...
the third 3 are the bore dia 030=4.030", 898=3.898", etc...
the last 3 designate design and cc's F=flat top, I=inverted dome, D=dome, 04 would be -4cc in this case.

Shane
Old 10-20-2009 | 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well tired of waiting on the FEDERAL MOGULS with still no news when they are going to ship.I canceled my order and I'm going with the Mahles.
Old 10-20-2009 | 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Thanks,
Shane
No slap, is this with forged pistons? just wondering how they have made the piston different?
Old 10-21-2009 | 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

The Piston to Bore clearance required and the skirt design on those pistons contribute to a very quiet piston. I have many very happy customers running around with these pistons with no slap even in 4" stroke applications. They come standard with Grafal skirt coating as well.

Shane
Old 10-29-2009 | 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I received my pistons today,the mahle forged . I took them directly to the machine shop,happy to get my build going again.I will ask my parts supplier in a couple days ,if federal mogul ever shipped the ones I had ordered,just curious.
Old 12-05-2009 | 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I talked to my parts supplier earlier this week and he said those Federal Mogul pistons still have not come in yet.Im so glad I didnt keep waiting for them.At this rate it does not look like they be shipped this year.We are starting the assembly this week on my build, just waiting on the crank to come back.

Quick Reply: WARNING: if order Federal Mogul pistons