Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Rods which way to install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 Rods which way to install

I have been trying to find out which side of the LS2 rods are suppose to face towards the front of the motor. Anybody knows?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a GM manual.

Identify the positioning tab (1) or flat flange (3) of the connecting rod. When properly assembled, the positioning tab or flat flange of the rod and the mark (2) on the top of the piston should both be facing the front of the engine.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help.....The only thing is LS2 rods don't have the flat flange on top of the small end. The only thing that I could tell the difference on each side is one a small tab on the inside of the beam. I'm going to post a pic....
The following users liked this post:
Robert Rachal (07-13-2019)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chamfered side of the rod journal (big end) goes toward the crank counter weights or outside rod crank journals
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Both sides are chamfered though. I already checked for that. The only thing different for each side is the big end. There is two flat surfaces on each side of the rod but one side is higher then the other and a casting dot on one side of the beam. Other then that the sides are exactly the same.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Here is the pics....
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Rods which way to install-sdc10610.jpg   LS2 Rods which way to install-sdc10611.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I should add that one side with the casting dot on the beam has the chamfered side that has the finally machining. The other side is chambered but is as cast. My guess is the side with the casting dot. Would just like confirmation.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 2005 LS6 and a 2010 LS3 sitting in my barn with oilpans off and on both the nipple points toward the rear of the engine. I cant see any other way of telling which side is which...

Good luck to ya, Tom
Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at the 2005 Corvette service manual and a 2004 Truck and they never mention anything for the rod, only the piston.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Check out the pics in Post #6 the "wide tab" on the rod always faces the front of the engine...( The second pic the rod on the left that side faces the front..I.E. the wide tab)....at least that's what I remember from when I assembled mine...My book isn't with me in Iraq though...haha.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Check out the pics in Post #6 the "wide tab" on the rod always faces the front of the engine...( The second pic the rod on the left that side faces the front..I.E. the wide tab)....at least that's what I remember from when I assembled mine...My book isn't with me in Iraq though...haha.
If your taking about the tab on the bottom of the big end or cap. Both have the same amount of surface area. What puzzle me is where I could look up this info. I have a cd with GM LQ4/9 info but it is pre-2003 when the rods where press in style.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

The lock tabs on the bearings &rods go toward the out side of the block
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Resident

Do you see where the cap and rod come together??? Look at the surface area right there...The side with the cast dimple thing on the rod would go away from the front...The surface area right where the rod and cap connect is different it's not the same...Look closer..If I could circle it then I would...hope this helps
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
The lock tabs on the bearings &rods go toward the out side of the block
This is true for one side but not the other.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Do you see where the cap and rod come together??? Look at the surface area right there...The side with the cast dimple thing on the rod would go away from the front...The surface area right where the rod and cap connect is different it's not the same...Look closer..If I could circle it then I would...hope this helps
I believe your right.... Now I can see a real fant white paint mark on the side of the beam which I could not see before. I believe this mark is for which side faces the front. Which is the same way you suggested.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
This is true for one side but not the other.

Well, every Chevy & LS1-2-3 style engines that Ive built, the rod bearing locks are pointed to the out side of the block..And not one has went down.And the manual saids the same thing on the bearing locks.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Well, every Chevy & LS1-2-3 style engines that Ive built, the rod bearing locks are pointed to the out side of the block..And not one has went down.And the manual saids the same thing on the bearing locks.
Crap.... I just did your therory and looks like it could be right also. This would put the chamfered side in towards each other. Which to me would be correct. The rods on each bank though would face opposite sides. Another words the casting dot on one cylinder bank would face the the rear and the other side the rods casting dot would face the front. I hope this makes sense.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
If your taking about the tab on the bottom of the big end or cap. Both have the same amount of surface area. What puzzle me is where I could look up this info. I have a cd with GM LQ4/9 info but it is pre-2003 when the rods where press in style.
Not a paint mark the actual machined surface...If you look at the machined surface on the side of the rod/cap then you will see on each side there is a flat squarish area ( tab ) where they rod /cap meet.. on one side these two squarish areas are smaller than the other side...I don't know how else to explain it and make it any simplier...

Got it to work: Red= Front
Attached Thumbnails LS2 Rods which way to install-sdc10610.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Back from a year ago, but I'm having the same troubles and need to get the pistons in the block tomorrow. I"m putting a LS2 rotating assembly in an LQ4 block. Bought the LS2 assembly from a guy and am not sure about how it goes as far as rods. I don't think he took the rods off the pistons but I'm not 100% sure. With all my pistons dots facing forward all the dimples in the rods face the rear. But when installed that will leave one bank of rod bearing locks facing up, and the other bank facing down. Is this correct? My friend that has built numerous older small blocks says that it doesn't make sense that the locks don't face down or are at least the same on both sides. But from my reading here and on other threads through other sites say that as long as the dimples on the pistons face forward and the dimples on the rods face the rear everything is all good. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I have a set in front of me that are marked from removing and the piston dot faces forward, rod dimple back, large flat area on caps towards the center of journal, dual tangs (grooves) for rod bearings facing outside edge of block

Quick Reply: LS2 Rods which way to install