Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How much compression for new motor in summer Florida heat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Solid advice for sure.

Originally Posted by LS6427
Yeah man, the condensor is way over due if its never been done.

The LT1 radiator simply has more cooling area, from what I've heard something like 30% more. When I put mine in I noticed the extra cooling big time. The only thing you need to do is cap off one extra port. One clamp, one cap. As far as the install, you would never know you are putting an LT1 radiator in......I didn't lol. When I ordered mine the parts guy ordered the wrong one, I took it home and put it in. I just figured the extra port was something they did for the later model LS1's, so I actually use that as my new drain valve for flushing. Works great and I don't have to mess with that cheesy petcock drain that takes all day to drain. And a new LT1 radiator is only like $100.

Post #6, your thread about Florida coolant temps. That is my condensor when I cleaned it the first time, I think in 2002. So thats 4 years of debris jamming up my condensor. I would come to a stop with my A/C on and it would start warming up immediately and my engine temp would immediately start to climb. When I started moving it would get cold again and the engine temp would also go down from that strong ram air, fans just can't keep up when your stopped or moving slowly in traffic. After I cleaned it my A/C was ice cold no matter what, no matter how hot it was outside, even stopped in traffic....and the overall temp was considerably cooler, maybe 15 degrees on the guage. And I know they're just gauges, but it was showing much cooler. I clean my condensor ever year or so.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ning+hot+a%2Fc

Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Whistler....

And "JimMueller", if you're wondering what that extra port looks like and where it is, I attached a picture of mine, with the approx 5-6 inches of heater hose I put on it that I use for flushing. All I do is loosen that end clamp a little bit and then that plastic threaded plug unscrews by hand, its great. And the coolant comes out blistering fast to make flushing easier.
And that is absolutely the only difference between the LT1 and LS1 radiators, except the larger cooling fin area. The low coolant sensor on the LS1 radiators also attaches in the same exact place.
((the aftermarket cooler attached to my frame is my PS fluid cooler, nevermind that, although I highly recommend that too.))

Attached Thumbnails How much compression for new motor in summer Florida heat?-dsc01789.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did the LT1 rad swap, but went back to the stock
'stat, this weekend. The rad is a dead swap but you do
have to plug those two oddball ports. I used JB-Weld.
I got the rad locally, through eBay, for real cheap.
I got a whole mess of debris out of the condenser (a
bunch more was matted onto the rad, but I didn't
bother cleaning the thing coming out) and it's only
been maybe a year since the last cleaning.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ator-easy.html