Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Does a L92 Front Cover work with LS1 Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does a L92 Front Cover work with LS1 Accessories?

I have a 2007 L92 with an LS3 intake manifold and I have purchased all the accessories so this beast will fit under the hood of my 93. Now nothing fits with the front cover. I know a couple of people have done the L92 swap and all the information about what components they kept and replaced is now lost.
My question: What front cover do I need? Do I need a new cam sensor? Do I need to switch timing chains?
Are these the two parts I need? "-12596023 Early LS2 1x Timing cover w/cam sensor-Supposedly later style 4x will work. 12588670 LS2/LS3 Black Timing Chain Tensioner"

AJ
Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the LS2 cover and timing chain set on my L92 block with F-Body accsy.
You do need the cam senser mounted in the cover.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
I used the LS2 cover and timing chain set on my L92 block with F-Body accsy.
You do need the cam senser mounted in the cover.
How much did this cost you?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

108.00 for the cover and 84.00 for the timing set from SDPC.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1lejohn
108.00 for the cover and 84.00 for the timing set from SDPC.
Thank you. I'm trying to figure out if buying the LS2 Cover and Timing Set is cheaper than buying the spacer set from Mast Motorsports.
I'd like to keep the VVT if at all possible.
1lejohn...did you swap out the VVT stuff? Did you change your cam?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want to keep the VVT heres a handy link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...g-vvt-l92.html
Old 05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam

thanks...I'll be using that.
Maybe I'll CNC my own spacers.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Ya you could but they're only a hundred bucks from MAST and they include longer stainless bolts and a couple gaskets as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:52 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cam

That is a great thread to have bookmarked.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

I'm currently building a l92 418 stroker for my brother what model did your engine came from? my brother's was out of an 07 Denali it had the VVT stuff at the timing cover but it wasn't active because it didn't had the lifters with the springs on top!! I did some research and found out that vvt was only active on the Cadillac at that time probably now its active on current Denali's but why do you want vvt it sucks you have no control of the valves because they are being open or closed for different amounts of time at different rpm ecm/emissions controls that!! to me that means loosing power!! Also you can't use the ls2 timing cover with the vvt stuff and if you want vvt you need l92 ecm!!

Look at this links is everything you need to convert to ls1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ls2-swap.html
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Teching In

My L92 is out of a 2007 Escalade. I want to keep the VVT for now because all my money is going to the swap. Performance upgrades will come at a later date. A stock motor is easier to start than a modded one.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not running the VVT stuff. I'm just using the block and heads. The VVt can make some good power if the cam timing is programmed correct. Like posted above you have to use the correct PCM to run it.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
I'm currently building a l92 418 stroker for my brother what model did your engine came from? my brother's was out of an 07 Denali it had the VVT stuff at the timing cover but it wasn't active because it didn't had the lifters with the springs on top!! I did some research and found out that vvt was only active on the Cadillac at that time probably now its active on current Denali's but why do you want vvt it sucks you have no control of the valves because they are being open or closed for different amounts of time at different rpm ecm/emissions controls that!! to me that means loosing power!! Also you can't use the ls2 timing cover with the vvt stuff and if you want vvt you need l92 ecm!!

Look at this links is everything you need to convert to ls1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...02-f-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-ls2-swap.html

Absolutely untrue. Not trying to flame you man Im just trying to clear up some facts. AFM ( active fuel management ) has the funky spring lifters that collapse and are for fuel efficiency. VVT (variable valve timing ) is the phaser on the front of the cam that moves the cam advance/retard relative to RPM for optimal power. If you took a cam with identical specs and installed one with VVT and one static ( no VVT ) the VVT cam will make more power under the curve. In no way at all does VVT hurt performance it is a power adder hence why its banned from Formula One racing engines and the like. Also the Escalade and Denali 6.2L early years only came VVT and NO AFM hence the standard LS7 lifters. If your building a performance VVT engine these are the best to start with.

Beaflag VonRathburg your right that thread is handy and we should add it to a sticky somewhere
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I absolutely agree and if I was in a state to be able to wire everything to retain the VVT on my new engine I would. I am thinking of a really nice engine combo for my DD build that includes an LY6, VVT, and a ZR1 blower. I think that would be the ultimate fun setup to daily drive with OEM reliability.

The issue I have is that I have now is that I have the OEM L92 front cover from a Denali with the VVT part that sticks out rather far. From what I can determine from reading that thread is that my OEM Fbody accessories will not work with the front cover I have. I may need the thinner LS2 vette version. That may work out as I am missing the cam sensor, bracket, wiring, and one of the bolts that holds the VVT sensor onto the timing cover. It may be similar in cost simply to buy a new front cover.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cam
Absolutely untrue. Not trying to flame you man Im just trying to clear up some facts. AFM ( active fuel management ) has the funky spring lifters that collapse and are for fuel efficiency. VVT (variable valve timing ) is the phaser on the front of the cam that moves the cam advance/retard relative to RPM for optimal power. If you took a cam with identical specs and installed one with VVT and one static ( no VVT ) the VVT cam will make more power under the curve. In no way at all does VVT hurt performance it is a power adder hence why its banned from Formula One racing engines and the like. Also the Escalade and Denali 6.2L early years only came VVT and NO AFM hence the standard LS7 lifters. If your building a performance VVT engine these are the best to start with.

Beaflag VonRathburg your right that thread is handy and we should add it to a sticky somewhere
Yes probably you are correct and understand the vvt system because i don't!! Personally I wouldn't built a ls3/l92 turbocharge engine with vvt I believe my tuner can adjust timing and do a better job then the vvt system but again it just me!! I have one question for you and im not trying to be smart *** im just trying to understand the vvt system! what sensor is sending the input for the vvt? does it has to do with emissions? 02 sensors? whats is the main purpose for the vvt, fuel economy?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 09camaro383
Yes probably you are correct and understand the vvt system because i don't!! Personally I wouldn't built a ls3/l92 turbocharge engine with vvt I believe my tuner can adjust timing and do a better job then the vvt system but again it just me!! I have one question for you and im not trying to be smart *** im just trying to understand the vvt system! what sensor is sending the input for the vvt? does it has to do with emissions? 02 sensors? whats is the main purpose for the vvt, fuel economy?
GM so far is using it mainly to aid fuel economy but with many things when you improve efficiency you also by default improve power output. So us gear heads are trying to use it to make more horse power as our primary goal and for that it does help. The phaser is controlled via the PCM and can be tuned to your liking through EFIlive but it is highly complex tuning as it is not yet as simple as setting cam timing and go. For each adjustment of cam phase you also have to tweak a/f and ign timing to match. All the VVT is on GM LS engines this far is cam advance/retard adjustments. So the VVT phaser spins the cam advanced for bottom end power and as your RPM climbs it retards the cam timing which gives you more top end power. Its a lot like Hondas VTEC etc. Variable valve timing is nothing new its just new to LS engines.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your input
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Most Variable Valve Timing systems run two cam specs. To be theoretical, the perfect intake system would be one that adjusted at every 100 rpm (or so) to optimize efficiency and perhaps even adjust for ambient air temperature. Oooooh what the future holds.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

I was reading the Honda forums and found out that for better performance people are disabling the v-tech system and just ruining higher cams all the time!! it makes sense!!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Been thinking lots about this. Pretty sure I know what I need to do but I need the playground and the tools to make it happen and that aint cheap. Plus we all need co-operation and so it is. Sooner or later we all have to back the right horse. We just have to do it with Honour

Quick Reply: Does a L92 Front Cover work with LS1 Accessories?