Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 exhaust valves Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 exhaust valves Problems

We are building an iron 427 with ls7 heads,
but I have heard some problems with the LS7 falling down valves, Is this true?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I read about the lash caps on the ends of the valves or the needle bearings on the rocker arms giving troubles.

I have a set of ls7 heads from WCCH and no problems at all. Though no lash caps and Harland rockers.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Tiger
There have been quite a few reported cases of exhaust valve failure with the stockers. Most of the information out there is pointing to problems with the guides having poor clearances or also that the head of the valve is not seating in the pocket straight there for ripping the head off the two piece sodium filled valve. Also GM had a bad batch of rockers in 2007 where the bearings failed. I also have WCCH heads from Richard and the upgraded Harland Sharp mod and haven't had any issues yet "knock on wood!"

Last edited by ramairws6; 08-14-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black_Tiger
Just put a solid SS exhaust valve in and be happy............
Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Also GM had a bad batch of rockers in 2007 where the bearings failed.
Hmmm was this only on the 7.0L or did this issue apply to the L92's as well? Any info and/or links you have to share would be most appreciated
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cam
Hmmm was this only on the 7.0L or did this issue apply to the L92's as well? Any info and/or links you have to share would be most appreciated
Someone investigated and found that GM changed venders on the LS7 rockers somewhere in early 2007 and these were the ones that failed. Not sure on the others??
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Someone investigated and found that GM changed venders on the LS7 rockers somewhere in early 2007 and these were the ones that failed. Not sure on the others??
Thats the first I've heard of this so thanks for the info. Im running an 07 L92 with stock rockers but I might upgrade to Comps new trunion kit just for safety sake if there are issues with 07 engines I might be better safe than sorry. I neveer had any issues with ANY LS engine prior though in regards to rocker arm problems so I was going to run these ones again. Now? Hmm not sure.

Regardless if I find that this concern applied to L92 rockers I will post up about it. Thanks again

cam
Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the stock exhaust valves, we have not had a failure on any here yet....that being said, when we port them or have the heads off for whatever reason, we go ahead and put in a solid stainless valve to replace them. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Any input on the rockers Matt?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Regarding the LS7 rocker arm failures iirc the LS7 uses a 1.8 ratio rocker but the L92 uses a 1.7 so perhaps its the ratio increase and the fact that the stock LS7 cam is pretty big and has a 7K RPM redline that caused the rocker issues.

Regardless I havent seen many threads at all with L92 stock rocker arm failures and this leads me to think they are good to go. Besides I'd like to think if one started to go you'd hear the valvetrain warning you so you could shut it down before catastrophic failure.

I did find this interesting link over at Corvetteforum which is an ib site so i dont think linking it will be a problem. This is certainly something to think about

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ngs-issue.html
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Any input on the rockers Matt?
Other than reading about the issues on the internet, I have no experience with LS7 rocker arms breaking. None of the LS7 cars we've had come through the shop have had any issues with them.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked Richard@WCCH's brain on this subject as it was a hot topic over on corvetteforum.com. Below are his comments:

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Hello Michael,
We have definitely seen excessive wear in some LS7 exhaust guides. Mostly coming from engines with over 30k on the clock. We have seen some heads show inconsistent wear requiring only one or two guides needing replacement. It appears that the sodium exhaut valves are transmitting an excessive amount of heat from the stem to the guide. In some cases the oil is BBQ'd in the guide and the lack of lubrication and cooling from the oil causes the excessive wear (mostly in the lower half of the exhaut guide). We've measured some guides as having over .004" of wear in the lower 1" of exhaust guide length. Porsche 911's suffer the same type of related guide wear on the exhaust side.
The next item to note regarding the sodium exhaust valves relates to the wall thickness of the sodium exhaust valve stem. It's only .040" thick and makes for a fragile exhaust valve. GM uses a good quality steel material but the design spec. renders the valves brittle at the neck. Hence the reason we choose the replace the factory units with stainless or inconel. The exhaust valves we use are manufactured with a .001" oversized stem size which allows us to hone the exhaust guides and remove most or all of the taper in the bore. In cases with excessive wear we replace the guides with bronze.

I can't comment on weather the excessive guide wear is causing the valves to rattle around in the guide on on the seat causing the head failures. It may be due to excessive heat buildup from the restricted heat flow path to the guide. As I mentioned before, there's only 1mm of wall thickness at the valve neck. Not a good situation in engines producing high specific horespower. The stainless exhaust valves don't show the rapid wear that the sodium valves have.

Hope this helps Michael.

Best regards,

Richard
Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Given the same conditions, the bronze guides will wear as well. The size of the small heat path must be increased. With a solid stem valve heat is allowed to travel further up the length of the stem. It provides a larger flow path for heat dissipation.
The primary heat path is through the valve seat. The secondary heat path is through the valve guide. Lean stoic. conditions at cruising speeds generate lots of heat on the exhaust valves with unleaded fuels. The heat bakes the small amounts of oil that makes it to the lower portion of the exhaust guide. Once the lubrication is gone there is metal to metal contact and on a molecular level electron sharing occurs. The steel molecues of the exhaust valve stem have a greater resistance to wear. The powdered metal guides have mixture of wear resisting alloys along with lubritious properties pressed into the matrix. You don't have to beat on the engine to experience valve guide wear.
The primarly reason we use bronze valve guides is because GM will not sell the guides separately. Rather they will sell you an entire replacement head. The aftermarket parts supply only furnishes bronze alloy valve guides. I personally like the powdered metal valve guides the factory uses but the supplier does not sell piece meal to the public. Additionally we have no long term wear issues with the bronze guides and solid stem stainless steel valves.
In the last decade GM has done a masterful job improving both metalurgy and rocker arm geometry to reduce overall valve guide wear. Rocker arm desings are also superbly executed. The issues seem to only be related to the sodium valves.

Hope this helps.

Richard
And the thread that started it all http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...wn-begins.html
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Excellent info thanks! Im liking the stock L92 head, valves and rockers more and more and more!

Quick Reply: LS7 exhaust valves Problems